Antonio Luna

Phumfeinz

I did watch it, thank you. You're right in that I based my opinion on the fact that Bacuna hasn't played there since, not on how he played.

I think you're making Luna look worse defensively than he really is. He is sometimes out of position because he tries to get things done going forward, but he's quite good at recovering too. And he doesn't make silly mistakes like some of our other defensemen. I think Luna's mishaps overall have not been dangerous, I don't remember him being directly at fault of any of our conceded goals.

I get your point of wanting a more defensive minded and defensively reliable full back, but I don't feel Luna is a liability back there.

Yeah, I thought he did okay. Nothing terrible going forward or defending.

Positionally awful and we were just lucky that Sunderland didn't have the quality to exploit as they should've. I counted about eight times in the first half alone where he was either pushed too high up or tucked too far inside. Southampton do have the quality to exploit this and that is my main concern.

Edited by Isa

I did watch it, thank you. You're right in that I based my opinion on the fact that Bacuna hasn't played there since, not on how he played.

I think you're making Luna look worse defensively than he really is. He is sometimes out of position because he tries to get things done going forward, but he's quite good at recovering too. And he doesn't make silly mistakes like some of our other defensemen. I think Luna's mishaps overall have not been dangerous, I don't remember him being directly at fault of any of our conceded goals.

I get your point of wanting a more defensive minded and defensively reliable full back, but I don't feel Luna is a liability back there.

Fair enough and that is your opinion. I would say that firstly, just because Lambert hasn't picked him again there, doesn't therefore mean it is the correct decision.

Secondly, I think Luna has already had games where he has been a liability. Newcastle and Norwich come to mind. The fact is that he has never been that good a defender. At Mallorca last season, he was awful and was even outshone by Hutton on the right. I hope he will get to an acceptable level defensively but I wouldn't risk playing him against the likes of Southampton until he does.

Edited by Isa

First game back for Luna. I think we should stick with him. Don't like the idea of playing a right footed player on the left, never have. It means Bacuna has to cut back inside everytime and he cant play the ball down the line.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

I Like Luna, didn't think he was that bad yesterday (considering he's been out for 6 weeks aswell) so surprised the stick he's getting.
Shows how important Lambert rates him to the team. Wasn't even on the bench on Monday night and started yesterday after 6 weeks out. Done ok yest considering this. Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 1

His last tweet:

Los huevos d mi equipo no caben en la tierra...jugando mal y ante un equipo de puesto champions somos capaces d hacer esto,3p. #VamosVillaaa

In English via Google Translate:

Eggs d my computer will not fit in the world ... and playing poorly against a team of champions since d we are able to do this, 3p. #VamosVillaaa

--

I think he may be pissed already!

• Like 1

Didnt see him get bet by the attacker much tonight, it was more him standing off and not putting pressure on the attacker that let them put in good crosses.  Although he was left to cover the wing on his own so not easy for him and Bacuna tonight.

Â