Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Juventus and Barcelona will be desperate to flog some of their high earners to them in January. Real too with Bale but might be impossible as wages are astronomical.

I so hope they don't go about this the smart way because then there is a risk they pick up some good players on expiring contracts. There are some very good ones this season.

17 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Most people are motivated by money. 

The problem being most football clubs have money, elite level footballers have money 

What can Newcastle offer to a top player that no other PL club can? Nothing, so it won't be top quality players that they're getting, it'll be someone that no one else wants that they then try and paint as top quality, got the likes of coutinho written all over it 

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The problem being most football clubs have money, elite level footballers have money 

What can Newcastle offer to a top player that no other PL club can? Nothing, so it won't be top quality players that they're getting, it'll be someone that no one else wants that they then try and paint as top quality, got the likes of coutinho written all over it 

People said the same about man city. They slowly improved their squad year after year, to the point where they can offer more than just wages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TreeVillan said:

People said the same about man city. They slowly improved their squad year after year, to the point where they can offer more than just wages. 

Two key differences:

1. that was before financial fair play

2. Manchester is a significantly more attractive place to move to than Newcastle

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Two key differences:

1. that was before financial fair play

2. Manchester is a significantly more attractive place to move to than Newcastle

Newcastle is a top city tbh with some of the greatest countryside in England on the doorstep.  Manchester is just big.

• Like 1

City weren't in a relegation battle though 

As already posted above, Man City built their empire pre FFP, Newcastle won’t be able to do the same. Another key difference is that Man City quickly put in place the right teams and structures to allow them to build.

Newcastle, on the other hand, seem to have Billy Smart’s Circus running the show. Their managerial appointment process was an absolute shambles. 

They are a shit team and yes they can just throw money at it in January to do enough to stay up. But in reality what quality of player can they really expect to get who would be willing to be in a relegation scrap? Yes can just offer them disgusting wages,but again I don't think they can just throw money at the problem and assume they will stay up and go from there. They have been shit for years and I for one hope with all my being that they go down.

Fans have just sold their soul for a chance to be succesfull and that's just ridiculous.

Edited by Big Salad

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Newcastle is a top city tbh with some of the greatest countryside in England on the doorstep.  Manchester is just big.

You think a Brazilian international player knows what Newcastle is like as a city? 

Did they know Manchester City? Nope but they all knew man utd

5 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

They are a shit team and yes they can just throw money at it in January to do enough to stay up. But in reality what quality of player can they really expect to get who would be willing to be in a relegation scrap? Yes can just offer them disgusting wages,but again I don't think they can just throw money at the problem and assume they will stay up and go from there. They have been shit for years and I for one hope with all my being that they go down.

Fans have just sold their soul for a chance to be succesfull and that's just ridiculous.

Pretty sure QPR got in likes of Cisse, Bosingwa, Chris Samba and Julio Cesar mid season a few years back. They went down and pretty much all of them had relegation release clauses so would imagine it will be same for Newcastle, will loan in 2-3 on fringes of top clubs and will sign others with release clauses.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You think a Brazilian international player knows what Newcastle is like as a city? 

Did they know Manchester City? Nope but they all knew man utd

Well the french international guys like Cabaye and Ben Arfa had no issue moving there a decade ago. And in 90s they signed Ginola and Asprilla in that snowstorm (Boro just down the road got in Ravanelli and Juninho).

I think it's more a combination of good wages AND players knowing they have chance to progress their careers like in 1996 when Newcastle were finishing 2nd regularly. Long way from that of course now. If they were 12th in the league I reckon they could already get good players in January but more difficult if they're 7-8 points off 17th which could easily happen by time window opens.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Pretty sure QPR got in likes of Cisse, Bosingwa, Chris Samba and Julio Cesar mid season a few years back. They went down and pretty much all of them had relegation release clauses so would imagine it will be same for Newcastle, will loan in 2-3 on fringes of top clubs and will sign others with release clauses.

Good points. And at the end of the day I do have a feeling they will hang on by the skin of their teeth. If they do, they do. But oh how sweet it will be if they don't.

Just now, Big Salad said:

Good points. And at the end of the day I do have a feeling they will hang on by the skin of their teeth. If they do, they do. But oh how sweet it will be if they don't.

They've already left it too late imo. Pretty sure they're on same points as we were in 15/16 and we saw in that season even winning a game felt useless as we got so far behind the pack.

Only chance is to get 6 points off Norwich-Burnley but I think 4 at best and then they'll got ridiculous run of fixtures so may only have 11 points after 19 games. Would need top 6 form to stay up if safety is 35-36 points.

Don't really see Howe as sort of manager either who can grind out 2-3 1-0s in a row either.

• Like 1

Â