Christian Benteke

Kwan

To me, there are 2 questions here

1.will Benteke go ?

2. when will selling your best players end.

I don't see it as not paying high enough wages as the problem of not keeping players. you must sign 'em quicker than they want to leave, not the other way around. i.e would downing have wanted to leave if we had of signed Johnson to challenge him... eventually yes, but by that time we keep the best.The club is then on the front foot.

The big problem is pandering to the gems we find as if they are the only ones out there.

I'm not professing of going back to the days of the 1930's depression when masters went to the factory gates and said " 5 only today you, you, you, you and you.... but we must keep signing this young and hungry talent, because its hard to get it right every time and we need quantity as well as quality.

We must get to a point that if Andy Gray wants to leave we sign Peter Withe..... If John Gidman wants to go we sign Kenny swain.

until eventually no one wants to go, because they sense something is going on and this club ain't got no locks on the gates.

Money( wages) is a difficult one to combat, but players want to win things too... it can be turned around, but we must get on the front foot and off the back foot only a period of successful transfer market dealings can change that.

With Benteke, Villa are in the driving seat, but if recruitment is the way forward do we really want to be seen standing in Benteke's way, that will deter any would be gem from joining us.If he wants to go and we get the right offer he has to be let go.

If Christian Benteke or his agent had an ounce of respect for his long term career at least one more term with Villa would be the obvious choice.

There are no guarantee's in football if there was players in exchange for a money back guarantee would sign a contract to score 20 goals in a season..... not on your nelly I hear them say.There are no guarantee's that Christian Beneteke will score as many as he has this season with us.

It could be said that a mecenary club could on that basis go and sign another striker like Lukaku just in case Benteke doesn't deliver.

we need to get to a point where we are more interested in who we are signing, not worrying about who wants out......that way the trend will reverse.

• Like 2

To answer your question:

1) United Arab Emirates ( Russia is acceptable 2nd  :P )

Hmmm.... yeah that's about it.

Unless we get super rich owners, Villa WILL always be a selling club no doubt.

The really best we can become in future is kinda like Spurs postion now ( which I'd love ) I think, and still they have to ponder selling their best players.

Helll... even a CL Finalistits, have to sell 2 of their best players.. 

Edited by Alakagom

To answer your question:

1) United Arab Emirates ( Russia is acceptable 2nd  :P )

Hmmm.... yeah that's about it.

Unless we get super rich owners, Villa WILL always be a selling club no doubt.

The really best we can become in future is kinda like Spurs postion now ( which I'd love ) I think, and still they have to ponder selling their best players.

Helll... even a CL Finalistits, have to sell 2 of their best players.. 

That. Everyone's a bloody selling club now sadly. Money doesn't just talk anymore; it shouts.

I simply don't subscribe to the inevitability of it all.....sorry.

The big money clubs are undoubtedly a massive obstacle, but you have to find a way to help yourself.

in the main, I think Paul Lambert has the right approach.

I happen to think signing early in the closed season and regular is helpful ....hence my comments.

If it was all such a lost cause.....the people of Oklahoma would have long gone.

Edited by TRO

To be fair, with regards to selling our best players, there isnt one really that we havent got an exceptional deal for imo.

Dwight Yorke is the only one who proved his worth.

Gareth Barry to some extent but when you consider where him and Ash were on their contracts, there fees were pretty huge.

Milner and Downing were just 100% rip offs.

So while its frustrating, its football really. There will always be bigger/better clubs than us and while we keep rinsing them, I dont have any problem.

I will be fine with Benteke going for 20-30m tbh.

Milner was only a rip off due to the way Citeh have used him though.  He probably was worth £20m plus to us, the way he played in MON's final season.

I dont think so. He had a great season but he wasnt a £20m player. Lot of time for him and I dont think hes out of his depth at City. There is an awful lot better. A £20m player would step up at the World Cup.

A hypothetical choice for you:

Benteke for another year

OR

Weimann for another 4 years?

Benteke.

I think I agree but it does depend on Andi's potential. If he steps it up another level my answer would change! Without hindsight there's no right or wrong answer!

Benteke for another year

OR

Benteke.

I think I agree but it does depend on Andi's potential. If he steps it up another level my answer would change! Without hindsight there's no right or wrong answer!

Nah for me, Benteke's the best player I have seen at VP by a country mile. Andi's my fave but I go with my head here.

• Like 1

Benteke for another year

OR

Benteke.

I'm a fan of Weimann's, I think he's a good all round footballer. He's rather inconsistent with his talent but it's something I can see improving with age and he has an air of the James Milner's about him, the lad never stops running. He's a good head on his shoulders too. If somebody was to ask me which of our players sums up this new look Aston Villa I am fast beginning to love I would choose Andi.

But... I think he's replaceable, at the very least in the short term. By who I couldn't say but I've strong faith in our manager, stronger than some at least. I think he and his team have proven to be very shrewd in the market. Another year of Benteke could well propel us further than we thought possible some 6 moths ago and I think next season is extremely important in our development. We can't afford to rest on our laurels. 

Benteke for another year

OR

Benteke.

Nah for me, Benteke's the best player I have seen at VP by a country mile. Andi's my fave but I go with my head here.

There's no doubt Benteke's the better player but what if young Weimann was played more centrally and, after adding experience to his work rate, he bagged 15 league goals next season, 17 the next season and 19 or 20 in the last two years. Wouldn't that be worth more to us than say 22 league goals from CB for one season? Just being curious. Edited by brommy

Benteke for another year

OR

Benteke.

There's no doubt Benteke's the better player but what if young Weimann was played more centrally and, after adding experience to his work rate, he bagged 15 league goals next season, 17 the next season and 19 or 20 in the last two years. Wouldn't that be worth more to us than say 22 league goals from CB for one season? Just being curious.

Its not so much just that though, its the potential of Benteke. I believe he is so good he could drag us to the top 6 or 7 places. From there, he may even stay. He may attract other players. 

I just don't see Weimann being a big pull in the way Benteke could be regardless of the amount of goals he scored.

Make no mistake about it - for once - we have a genuine world class player on our hands. 

Benteke for another year

OR

Without a shadow of a doubt Benteke

He has what it takes to go to the very top, Andi works his socks off but you can unearth others like him from somewhere else. Benteke has the ability to be world class and he kept us up with his 19 goals last season.

To be fair, with regards to selling our best players, there isnt one really that we havent got an exceptional deal for imo.

Dwight Yorke is the only one who proved his worth.

Gareth Barry to some extent but when you consider where him and Ash were on their contracts, there fees were pretty huge.

Milner and Downing were just 100% rip offs.

So while its frustrating, its football really. There will always be bigger/better clubs than us and while we keep rinsing them, I dont have any problem.

I will be fine with Benteke going for 20-30m tbh.

If you go back further than that there's been a  few that have. David Platt for instance, Andy Gray eventually went to everton and won a championship and cup

Benteke for another year

OR

Without a shadow of a doubt Benteke

He has what it takes to go to the very top, Andi works his socks off but you can unearth others like him from somewhere else. Benteke has the ability to be world class and he kept us up with his 19 goals last season.

Although I would love to keep Benteke for one more year I would have to say Weimann for 4 years. He could just develop into a very good striker in that time

Atletico Madrid are ready to test Aston Villa's resolve to keep Christian Benteke with a stunning £20million bid.

The Spanish giants are confident of landing the striker after sounding out his agent, Kismet Eris.

Atletico have money to burn after striking a £50m deal with big-spending French side Monaco to sell them Colombian goal-machine Radamel Falcao.

They have looked at Liverpool's Luis Suarez, Hulk of Zenit St Petersburg, Alvaro Negredo of Sevilla and Manchester United's Javier Hernandez, but Atletico coach Diego Simeone has singled out Belgium international Benteke as his No1 target.

After scouting the Villans' new hero in the flesh and watching DVDs of him in action, Simeone has urged the club's board to get the 22-year-old.

Chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin has been charged with trying to set up a deal, and it is believed he is confident of sit-down with Eris this week.

It will be a major worry for Villa, especially after Benteke last week told a Belgian newspaper he may insist on going if a big club comes in.

Benteke said: "If Aston Villa say I must stay, I won't necessarily accept that. I do not in any way want to feel I didn't get the most out of my career."

Villa got Benteke for a bargain £8m from Genk last summer and Paul Lambert will be determined not to sell after a sensational debut season in which his 19 Premier League goals kept them safe from relegation.

Arsenal and Tottenham have also been looking at Benteke, but Atletico are clearly hoping their new financial clout could help them steal an early march on other interested clubs.

Mirror

Another £8m and we can start talking, which (assuming this is true), if their opening bid is £20m theres no reason we couldnt start pushing the £27-30m barrier if we were to accept a bid. If he is going to leave, I would much prefer him move abroad. Especially to a club whose last few big strikers have been the likes of Torres, Aguero and Falcao. Not quite the same style as those but it's a club who have done wonders for their strikers' careers.

Also think Madrid are more likely than the links to Dortmund, whilst both clubs will be having large sums of money injected into them this summer through selling their current big-name striker, Madrid, I assume, are more likely to be offering the kind of wages Benteke will be after.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Atletico Madrid are ready to test Aston Villa's resolve to keep Christian Benteke with a stunning £20million bid.

The Spanish giants are confident of landing the striker after sounding out his agent, Kismet Eris.

Atletico have money to burn after striking a £50m deal with big-spending French side Monaco to sell them Colombian goal-machine Radamel Falcao.

They have looked at Liverpool's Luis Suarez, Hulk of Zenit St Petersburg, Alvaro Negredo of Sevilla and Manchester United's Javier Hernandez, but Atletico coach Diego Simeone has singled out Belgium international Benteke as his No1 target.

After scouting the Villans' new hero in the flesh and watching DVDs of him in action, Simeone has urged the club's board to get the 22-year-old.

Chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin has been charged with trying to set up a deal, and it is believed he is confident of sit-down with Eris this week.

It will be a major worry for Villa, especially after Benteke last week told a Belgian newspaper he may insist on going if a big club comes in.

Benteke said: "If Aston Villa say I must stay, I won't necessarily accept that. I do not in any way want to feel I didn't get the most out of my career."

Villa got Benteke for a bargain £8m from Genk last summer and Paul Lambert will be determined not to sell after a sensational debut season in which his 19 Premier League goals kept them safe from relegation.

Arsenal and Tottenham have also been looking at Benteke, but Atletico are clearly hoping their new financial clout could help them steal an early march on other interested clubs.

Mirror

Another £8m and we can start talking, which (assuming this is true), if their opening bid is £20m theres no reason we couldnt start pushing the £27-30m barrier if we were to accept a bid. If he is going to leave, I would much prefer him move abroad. Especially to a club whose last few big strikers have been the likes of Torres, Aguero and Falcao. Not quite the same style as those but it's a club who have done wonders for their strikers' careers.

They've made the mistake of selling a player for £50million before going out and buying a replacement. We know they've got all that cash now-£40million thanks :)

Â