Christian Benteke

Kwan

Before he came to Villa he did say Arsenal was his dream club

Belgian Guy said that was a misquote, he said it was a dream to play for a club like Arsenal, not Arsenal specifically AFAIK. I`m sure BG can confirm

The big question for me now is how much of the fee will Lambert get to spend on the team - if he doesn't get it all, theres gonna be one unhappy scots man

Scotch man.

They prefer to be referred to as Scotch.

Mmm. Scotchy, Scotchy, Scotch.

So how much of the fee will Lambert get to spend on Scotch?

Before he came to Villa he did say Arsenal was his dream club

Belgian Guy said that was a misquote, he said it was a dream to play for a club like Arsenal, not Arsenal specifically AFAIK. I`m sure BG can confirm

Oh ok thanks for the clarification. I'll trust without the confirmation

Nothing has changed. The English media are missquoting the missquoted Belgian article based on another Belgian article.

It's standard Chinese whispers.

• Like 2

actually, having seen the pidgin english translation of his interview, i actually think much of what he said was positive - when asked if he would down tools if a big club came in for him (arsenal was the one suggested), like he did with genk this time last year, he said no.... he also went on to say he was very happy at villa and happy to spend another season here....

not sure what else we could hope for from a player who forced a move from genk to villa only one season ago....

simple fact is, if we offer him what is best for him right now, then he will stay until someone offers him better....

in my humble opinion, it will boil down to cash, and the ability to put himself in the shop window between now and the world cup.... the latter point is our biggest plus card for the next season - we have already built a team around him, and he sits in an uncontested position as the leader of our strike force.... that is not the case with any club that he is thinking of going to... provided that the cash we offer him in his new contract is competitive, then i think we have a good chance of keeping him until the world cup.... the aim would have to be to put him on a long and expensive contract, so that when he does leave at the end of next year, whoever buys him will have to pay through the nose to do so....

then we have to pray that he keeps developing as he has this year....

and i think we all need to remember that for all he has been a beast this season, he has had games (albeit less and less frequently) where he has been anything but... he's certainly great and has been fantastic for us, but he's not the finished article at the highest level yet...  

• Like 1

Personally I don't give a toss either way, he was never going to be a long time signing.

If he was dross like Almandi then Villa would have been getting shot of him pronto but as it has turned out he is a good player and these days Champions League means everything to them (and of course money) so he will want out if one of those teams comes calling.

Provided Villa get good money then as Paul Lambert says "we go again".

For me it's not the player in the shirt it's the shirt, the club that I support. I have never hero worshipped any player since as a kid Andy Gray left us and signed for Wolves. After that I decided I would not focus on any players only the club, this doesn't mean I don't have favourite players or don't want to see the best players playing in a Villa shirt, I do but I truly don't care if they want to leave as there are plenty who want to come and play for Villa and it's these players who I want to see.

In this case he may just have been misquoted, we will see but whatever Zzzzzzzz.

• Like 1

SSN are going with Benteke talking about leaving as their main story this morning.

If the money is right then lets just move on. Like SeanO there is no point in worshipping any player every player has a price.

I hope he is sensible about the thought of moving to a mega club when he takes into account his status and form here, and how that may change elsewhere.

Maybe Gayle back on the radar?

So looks like we may fail to keep our best player again...

I don't see how any team can ever improve anymore, unless you get into the top 4, the Champions League teams (and Spurs) will just poach all of your good players. Half of them won't even get used as much as they did with you (See Scott Sinclair)

So it's pretty much, overhaul the top 5 in 1 season or lose your players at the end of it, or lose your players. There's no loyalty.

Lambert is on talk sport this morning, hopefully we'll find out what's going on.

According to press reports we've been paying him £20k a week and earlier this year we were talking about rewarding him with a double your money deal. If that's the case, you can see why we'd be struggling - I think wherever he goes he'll be looking for a six figure a week salary as a starting point - I'm not sure we can compete with that, although I was hoping we'd be able to get near enough to keep him for a further season. It'd be interesting to know how much we offered him.

According to press reports we've been paying him £20k a week and earlier this year we were talking about rewarding him with a double your money deal. If that's the case, you can see why we'd be struggling - I think wherever he goes he'll be looking for a six figure a week salary as a starting point - I'm not sure we can compete with that, although I was hoping we'd be able to get near enough to keep him for a further season. It'd be interesting to know how much we offered him.

And that is the problem with our current approach, whenever we do pick up a decent player we will be selling them again.

But then I think that is pretty much the model of the club now, a couple of years ago the General pretty much stated that we would look to develop young players and buy them and sell them on as a profit.

We've no desire to complete only pay off the loans to the owner so he can sell the club.

I'm disappointed with Benteke but not at all surprised given how he was reported to have behaved in the summer when we wanted him. Besides he is too good for us and shouldn't be wasting his career fighting relegation.

I think it's pretty certain that Benteke leaves for a bigger club within few years, my concern is that if he leaves NOW that might influence Weimann to do the same... :unsure:

Edited by K-Carlsen

Lambert has said earlier in the season how important it will be to keep hold of him and that someone will have to obviously pay big for him. With Bent on his way out that indicates we are anticipating on holding onto Benteke, 80k pw wages freed up id like to think we'll offer him something similar with the need to build around him, also with this years tv revenue we can afford to do this. Has to give us at least 1 more season in my opinion

I can't even remember the last time I posted but thought I'd add something to this thread from the Guardian this morning.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/24/christian-benteke-aston-villa

Have a read of what his agent says at the bottom... Basically, reading that and what Belgium Guy said about it yesterday I'm not overly worried.

Edited by GingerVilla

I can't even remember the last time I posted but thought I'd add something to this thread from the Guardian this morning.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/24/christian-benteke-aston-villa

Have a read of what his agent says at the bottom... Basically, reading that and what Belgium Guy said about it yesterday I'm not overly worried.

I see where you are coming from, but, one of the 'big boys' will bid, it's inevitable. What he has done here is put us at a loss, as clubs now know they won't have to pay top whack for him as they know he will throw his toys out like he did at Genk. I wouldn't accept less than £30m, that's as cash, no trades. He may not be worth £30m, but he is worth that much to us.

I hate football sometimes, I miss the days when everyone was able to compete...

Â