Christian Benteke

Kwan

Ha! Contracts mean absolutely nothing in football anymore. They haven't for years!

yeah, I know. but it aint all doom and gloom imo. It Isn't suggested he has a release clause so even if he is to leave we actually are in a good position for a change. no reason to suggest we'd get mugged off on the price. Just unhappy people ripping apart the silver lining :D

Sounds like Delfouneso.

Indeed. Lukaku has more talent in his left toe than Delfouneso. Possibly more than Benteke in fact. However the application just isn't there. He talks a good game Lukaku, he's a very well spoken young man and he will go far on that talent alone, just not as far as he should.

How about this - if Benteke is Drogba then Lukaku is Adebayor.

Belgium have got some **** team regardless. I think they should find a way to play them both. They're a good bet for the next Euros...

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

We are not in a good position though. The only person associated with Villa who would get anything out of Benteke being sold is Lerner because he'd be at least doubling what he paid for him. The money wouldn't be reinvested into the team properly and we'd end up with someone nowhere as good as his replacement! There is no silver lining! 

• Like 1

We are not in a good position though. The only person associated with Villa who would get anything out of Benteke being sold is Lerner because he'd be at least doubling what he paid for him. The money wouldn't be reinvested into the team properly and we'd end up with someone nowhere as good as his replacement! There is no silver lining!

Aside from the fact that he's probably our only hope of staying up?

Just enjoy it while you can.

with Benteke I would argue we are in a good position, considering that on the pitch he is a HUGE influence and off the pitch we have a player under contract until 2016 that other people admire as much as we do. If a transfer bid does come in in the future we can play the Barry game with them. Name our price and stick to it.

Lerner may well be rubbing his hands in glee, hoping to sell him on in the summer and make a good £10-15m profit in one year on one player. That would probably make him happy as he wouldn't have to delve into his pockets again in order to pay the bills and keep the lights on as he has done every year since he took over. Who knows?

my original post was basically saying stop finding something to complain about in Benteke (unless defending corners is your thing!) and enjoy him while we got him.

Benteke is a good player, but he is not one of the best young strikers in Europe. Can people please not get carried away. Its a bit like the Carew hysteria in 2009. As John Ggregory said, we villa fans are desperate for a hero, and as a result have a tendency to over rate our players. I think he is a good player and has done well in most games.

Benteke is a good player, but he is not one of the best young strikers in Europe. Can people please not get carried away. Its a bit like the Carew hysteria in 2009. As John Ggregory said, we villa fans are desperate for a hero, and as a result have a tendency to over rate our players. I think he is a good player and has done well in most games.

Name me 5 strikers playing in their first top flight season (no offence Belgium), who could be considered young, with anything like 14 goals and 8 assists.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm genuinely interested.

Lerner must be chomping at the bit to sell Benteke and Weimann in the summer after we get relegated. Benteke especially. You can just imagine Lerner after a game, calling Faulkner just to see if the big fella has scored again and not giving a shit about the result or how many we've conceded again!

Lerner must be chomping at the bit to sell Benteke and Weimann in the summer after we get relegated. Benteke especially. You can just imagine Lerner after a game, calling Faulkner just to see if the big fella has scored again and not giving a shit about the result or how many we've conceded again!

If so, why would he buy a football club in the first place? Moronic post

He is, in my opinion, potentially one of the best young strikers in Europe. He is physically dominant, technically good, mentally strong and has strong footballing intuition. 

As an aside, you have to bear in mind how he got his move to Villa. He caused a fuss at Genk, who didn't want to sell him, and he left acrimoniously. 

He'd do the same to Villa, because he's ambitious and driven. He'll continue to improve, we will get a great player until the big bids arrive and we'll make a lot of money because he's on a long contract.

One reasonable transfer free, one brilliant signing. Really makes me wonder what Lambert could do with a decent budget.

me too. I think we have to be careful what we wish for with Lambert. I have real belief that if he's given time and money he could attract some proper players to this club over the next few years. 

To be fair, Carew was huuuge talent growing up. He had the biggest transfer fee for a scandinavian player until it was beaten by ibrahimovic. Some would argue that his decline started when he got here. But he has proven himself countless times at clubs, but he never neared the potential people thought he would after some time. 

Name me 5 strikers playing in their first top flight season (no offence Belgium), who could be considered young, with anything like 14 goals and 8 assists.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm genuinely interested.

Well first define young. 23 and younger? Secondly why does it have to be their first top flight season? That reduces the pool dramatically because if it is your first season in a top league, then you will be about 17/18, anyone older then that would of already played at least more then 1 season in the top flight.

Â