Christian Benteke

Kwan

Pretty sure it is the norm. Does anyone else remember reading that Liverpool were still paying us the downing fee a couple of years after the deal was completed?

Anyway, I'm torn on him leaving. Fantastic player but it's feeling more and more the case that the fee we'll get is what we'll have to spend.

I'm going to give you £100 but at a rate of £20 per week. The release clause DOES NOT MEAN THE PAYMENT NEEDS TO BE PAID IN ONE GO.

I feel like I'm teaching a bunch of kids.

But that's how it works folks.

Factamundo. 

Im actually intrigued that you're privy to the structure of the deal that you feel you're teaching to kids. 

Please expand and share more!

A release cause also doesn't mean we have to sell.. Arsenal a few seasons back triggered the release clause of £40 million for Suarez but Liverpool ignored it. He signed a new deal and then went to Barcelona for £75 million the following season. So all this talk of knowing exactly what a release clause allows and doesn't allow payment wise seems silly to me as no one clearly knows 100%. Release clauses seem to be as pointless as player contracts these days cause it ultimately seems like clubs make it up as they go along. 

The amount of bickering here about how the bloody payment is going to be structured is amazing.

What do know?

Plop want Benteke and Benteke apparently wants plop. So why is he not already in the barbers getting a perm?

Either the clause has not yet been met (rags do sometimes tell porkies) or we have a bit more of a say than some would have us believe and are ironing out any difference's.

What seems certain is that we will be lining up at Bournemouth without our best player,  hopefully the money raised from his sale (however its structured) is spent wisely.

Lads the timing does of course matter.

Suppose they offer to pay half (£16.25m) today and the other half in a year. That £16.25m sitting in the bank for a year will earn in the region of £500k-£1m in interest. That's enough to pay a decent player's wages for the year.

Suppose they offer to pay half (£16.25m) today and the other half in a year. That £16.25m sitting in the bank for a year will earn in the region of £500k-£1m in interest. That's enough to pay a decent player's wages for the year.

I agree its always nice to get it upfront but on the same basis the signings we are making (Gueye, Amavi, etc) I'm sure we probably aren't paying for those up front and we get the benefit of the interest of that in our account. 

I'm going to give you £100 but at a rate of £20 per week. The release clause DOES NOT MEAN THE PAYMENT NEEDS TO BE PAID IN ONE GO.

I feel like I'm teaching a bunch of kids.

But that's how it works folks.

Factamundo.

Im actually intrigued that you're privy to the structure of the deal that you feel you're teaching to kids.

Please expand and share more!

I think the point is that just because there is a clause, it does not necessarily dictate that clause states the money must be paid up front. It may say that the money must be paid within a year, for example.

Basically, as long as a fee is agreed we can rest fairly assured that Villa are happy with it. It's also a bit churlish to blame the board of Liverpool for trying to get the best deal available to them.

isnt it widely reported the fee has to be upfront and its why liverpool are so wary

Wary of what? There's definitely no talk of a money back guarantee! It's just the money men doing their thing, they'll get there eventually.

Good luck to Benteke.

No good arsing around over terms of the fee, if he wants to go the club have to let him go reasonably or else players who may be attracted to sign for us in the knowledge we are a stepping stone club will be put off signing for us

• Like 1

If he is to leave then I would at the very least want a sizeable chunk of the 32m paid up front, say 20-25m. If we don't then we may find the budget cannot facilitate the fees the other potential targets might require. Lets be honest at least 10-15m would be needed to get anywhere near replacing benteke. If the clause states the full amount needs to be paid on transfer then until that time I would tell pool to piss off. The have played nothing but hard ball  with their own sales the last 2 seasons so should not expect anything else in return.

As I mentioned in the benteke replacement post, I would offer him to UTD if the deal with the scousers is on. Say 20m plus Hernandez who I believe Utd would let go for a good replacement. I would be shocked if he was on more than 70k a week and he just may go for a new project as a headline act especially as he has only played a bit part at utd and madrid the last couple of years?! If not then at least look abroad and spend good money. IMO Adebayor is a mercenary and will provide nothing should we be struggling in games, plus continually loaning players never really benefits us. Austin is not worth the 15m we will need to spend on him, he's slow and will provide no resale value whatsoever so I really hope we do not panic into getting either of those two.

I would be shocked if he was on more than 70k a week 

Not saying it's definitely true or anything, but a Google search of "javi hernandez salary" says he's on 90k a week.

I would be shocked if he was on more than 70k a week 

Not saying it's definitely true or anything, but a Google search of "javi hernandez salary" says he's on 90k a week.

If he is then I would just pay it. If the TV revenue kicks in next season 90k will be chicken feed for top players. Plus losing Bent, Delph and Benteke off the wages will free up at least 150k a week off the wage bill. I just think if Benteke does go we need to make a statement of intent with our next striker or we will continue to look like inevitable relegation candidates. The club needs to stop f$*king about now and give something back to the fans after the last 5 years of nonsense.

IMO we need at least another CM, possibly 1 wide player and 2 strikers. I would also like another CB but am just thinking wishfully if I'm honest. 

Sherwood "Tekkers, you're my main man. I'm building the team around you. I've got Gueye in to be the motor, I'm trying to get Praet in to feed you, and I'm improving the defence so we can win games. I want to aim for European football. I want to give you that at this club. Give us one more season, and if we don't make it then you can leave for £20m."

CB "Sound you slaaaaaaaag"

• Like 3

Tbh I'm that used to the idea of him leaving that I'm passed caring where he actually goes.

He's a player who is way way above our standard atm and Id quite enjoy watching him in a top team tbh.

So would I, but he's going to Liverpool instead. Better than us but far from a top team.

Well not really. Bit of a pants season last season without their star striker. Given the signings they've already made, they will be challenging again.

Sherwood "Tekkers, you're my main man. I'm building the team around you. I've got Gueye in to be the motor, I'm trying to get Praet in to feed you, and I'm improving the defence so we can win games. I want to aim for European football. I want to give you that at this club. Give us one more season, and if we don't make it then you can leave for £20m."

CB "but joe Cole has been telling me that plop are the best club in the world "

• Like 1

That really isn't the greatest of incentives to stay.

• Like 1

CB "but joe Cole has been telling me that plop are the best club in the world "

Didnt MON kick Berger out of the club for saying something similar to Barry

• Like 3

From what I've seen of Amavi he can whip a mean ball in, can see Tekkers scoring a hatful from them alone. Go on Christian, tell the Red Scouse where they can go.

Edited by penguin

It won't sit in the bank though.

• Like 1

Â