Christian Benteke

Kwan

I remember when he signed in the summer of 13' and the press were all saying what a masterstroke by Lambert to get him to sign with NO release clause inserted.

We really do keep getting nasty shock after shock. Rarely good news involving AVFC

just proves the media know **** all about Aston Villa Football Club

I'd probably disagree that the release clause is anything other than positive. £32.5m is at the higher end of what he is worth IMO. 

Edited by av1

Austin scored more goals than Benteke, more assists the only thing he did more than Austin was headers and as Benteke is over 6ft so he should.  He always seems to need someone's arm around him at times, strange for a big fella like that!  I would have Austin anytime as you don't have to build a team to play to his strengths he would just fit in!

• Like 2

Austin is a reliable goalscorer, scored at all levels.

We will need goals next season, remember how low scoring we've been in recent times and that's even with Benteke so if we lose him that's a good 70% of goals gone.

You need a serious goalscorer in the squad not hoping players who score 5 a season can magically come up with 15. A midfielder who can also score 5-10 would help aswell.

From the candidates Austin looks the most realistic and best bet to me.

I have no issue with attempting to bring in someone like Embalo aswell but I wouldn't want him on his own to have the main pressure of replacing Benteke.

Remember when we signed Benteke we had a proven premier league goalscorer here called Darren Bent. I think most assumed at the time Benteke would be back up as Bent was still first choice at that stage.

Once Benteke took over we at least had the insurance of having a prolific goalscorer on the bench.

Austin is the perfect replacement. Said it before the one position you cant experiment is your 1st choice striker. Players like Van Wolfswinkel and Alves have cost teams their top flight spot so bring in Austin would be a good start and I think he could thrive with Jack as he has good movement as well

Before somebody mentions Benteke he was brought in as back-up for Bent but he was too good for that ;)

2012 we also had a young exciting prospect called Andreas Weimann who went on to have an excellent season, hitting double figures. Wonder whatever happened to him....

Back then Gabby hitting double figures in a season was still an event you could remember, indeed he did do it that season in fairness to him.

The depth of our striking options back then was a whole lot better than it is now when you take Benteke out of the equation. That's why we need someone relatively proven as with all due respect I don't think it's fair to start hoping Kozak can starting banging them in when he hasn't played a game for 18 months.

You have to bear in mind that we've been terrible at scoring goals because we have been terrible at creating chances. If Benteke leaves and is replaced with Austin or another striker (who is similar to Benteke or different to Benteke), alot with depend on how the team is set up next season and what our general style of play is.

I expect us be quite expansive with Sinclair and Grealish both featuring regularly and 2 strikers up front. We still have N'Zogbia and Gil - although who knows if they will be used.

Austin is the perfect replacement. Said it before the one position you cant experiment is your 1st choice striker. Players like Van Wolfswinkel and Alves have cost teams their top flight spot so bring in Austin would be a good start and I think he could thrive with Jack as he has good movement as well

Before somebody mentions Benteke he was brought in as back-up for Bent but he was too good for that ;)

Not sure if serious? But £7m back up during cost cutting??? Hmmm

If I've missed the point apologies, it's been a long day!

You have to bear in mind that we've been terrible at scoring goals because we have been terrible at creating chances. If Benteke leaves and is replaced with Austin or another striker (who is similar to Benteke or different to Benteke), alot with depend on how the team is set up next season and what our general style of play is.

I expect us be quite expansive with Sinclair and Grealish both featuring regularly and 2 strikers up front. We still have N'Zogbia and Gil - although who knows if they will be used.

One positive at least is we'll have the first full season of Jack Grealish. I believe aswell we will sign another player who can play the other number 10 role as Gabby can't really play that and N'zogbia is N'zogbia so yes we will create chances as we generally have done in most of the Sherwood games but you still need a clinical striker to put them away.

Only when Benteke leaves will we realise how frighteningly good he was at hitting the target and scoring.

One positive at least is we'll have the first full season of Jack Grealish. I believe aswell we will sign another player who can play the other number 10 role as Gabby can't really play that and N'zogbia is N'zogbia so yes we will create chances as we generally have done in most of the Sherwood games but you still need a clinical striker to put them away.

Only when Benteke leaves will we realise how frighteningly good he was at hitting the target and scoring.

I agree that an in form Benteke has an excellent conversion rate. He's scored alot of goals for us, and I think this is despite him being a bit of a purple patch striker - he's had some barren spells as well.

If he does go, I'd love us to sign a proper goalscorer, someone who is always in the box waiting for chances. Benteke frustrates me when he quite often pulls to the edge of the box for a pull back and spectacular goal (cup semi final apart!)

I still think we'll play with a main striker up top with two false no 10's like in the FA cup semi final. Grealish being one & maybe Chery as the other. Then a midfield 3 with the full backs pushing on.

Most teams play 4321 and when you go 442 vs that it's hard to control the midfield, like when we play Liverpool at anfield & beat them.

Not sure if serious? But £7m back up during cost cutting??? Hmmm

If I've missed the point apologies, it's been a long day!

Well we bought Kozak for £7m and he was Bentekes backup..

We need two quality strikers. If Benteke leaves we need Austin and take a chance on Embrolo

Agree with this, I'd like to see both of them. I'd also like Benteke to go this week, if he's going to go. Obviously I'd rather he didn't leave, but we'd be better off getting all of our bad news over and done with as quick as possible. 

• Like 1

We need two quality strikers. If Benteke leaves we need Austin and take a chance on Embrolo

Yes. But I'd rather we brought them both in regardless of Benteke leaving. At least then if Liverpool come in on deadline day we aren't up the creek and panic buying. Forward planning is the name of the game for us

Â