Christian Benteke

Kwan

Make of this what you will.

A German football agent (a business associate of mine) touting a CF to Wolfsburg (CL) has been told that they are "very interested in Benteke" if Chelsea dont start a bidding war.

Considering Plop are buying Ings - Spurs are very quiet (they'll have to move a few MF's on before they can buy big)

Only ManU/C, Arsenal & Chelsea (PL & CL) can afford Benteke. Citeh are the only ones who dont need a striker. ManU & Chelsea do, Arsenal maybe not.

However, him mentioning only Chelsea makes me think that Benteke will either go to Chelsea or Wolfsburg.

There is no bidding war. Its £32.5m for everyone. Nothing more, nothing less. Unless he means bidding war in terms how much they offer for his contract

For example, Wolfsburg bid 32.5m - Wolfsburg can talk to Benteke

Chelsea offer 35m (what's 2.5m to Abram....) Agent sends Benteke straight to Chelski for a medical

That makes no sense. 

Not really here to argue the toss

but, if Chelsea want him and want "1st look" - Villa want as much as possible - Agent increases his cut.

what doesnt make sense? Money?

It doesnt matter if Wolfsburg bid 32.5 and Chelsea bid 35 then he can talk to either club

I still dont believe that is the buyout clause price

It makes no sense because a release clause is a set fee. Chelsea bidding more than Wolfsburg doesn't stop them from talking to Benteke provided they met the set fee.

Doesn't Benteke have a say in it though? Just because someone meets the fee, doesn't mean we have to sell. We don't have to accept the bit, if the player doesn't want to go. For instance if Stoke bid £32.5m, that doesn't mean he's going to sign for them.

Of course but the OP mentioned Wolfsburg feared Chelsea would start a bidding war, which I don't think is possible with an active buyout clause.

• Like 2

yeah bidding war will be wages only and I imagine Chelsea would blow them out of the water

Yep. Although saying that Wolfsburg have got some pretty heavily payed players themselves. Luiz Gustavo for example is on 150k a week I believe.

Sometimes release clauses can have additional clauses in them, like they can only be triggered by certain clubs or maybe only by clubs who have qualified for the Champions League.

Sorry if my ignorance seems apparent.

I'm only passing on what someone I know said to me.

but RE; Selling clause

Does this 32.5m trigger mean that we are then not allowed to sell for more? surely interested clubs can bid what they want (all those under 32.5m wont be taken seriously)

Having said that, if only one club bid 30m, are we allowed to consider it?

Are we only allowed/not allowed because we're Aston Villa?

or just because I lost the internet?

but RE; Selling clause

Does this 32.5m trigger mean that we are then not allowed to sell for more? surely interested clubs can bid what they want (all those under 32.5m wont be taken seriously)

the 32.5 million is all you need to talk to Benteke, Wolfsburg can bid 32.5 and Chelsea 45 but both have the same rights and we have no say in the matter

If we wanted to, we could listen to a bid of £30m.  The rumoured £32.5m (or whatever the figure actually is) means that we have to let them talk to Benteke and he can leave for them if he wants.

As for whether we have the ability to choose between 2 sides that both meet the minimum valuation, I'm not sure.  Maybe we don't.

I do think the method of payment would have to be acceptable to us though.  It couldn't be £32.5m paid in £50 notes one per month for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

but RE; Selling clause

the 32.5 million is all you need to talk to Benteke, Wolfsburg can bid 32.5 and Chelsea 45 but both have the same rights and we have no say in the matter

And therein lies my point

If Chelsea bid more, and Villa & Kismet are going halves on a one-way ticket. Will they be buying a ticket to LONDON or Wolfsburg?

I don't want to lose him of course but we really need his future sorted asap. Sherwood built a team around him and if we are to start building for next season we need to know if he is going to be at Villa or not. For me it's better if he goes early this summer or at least tells us he is staying put. If this is dragged out it only hurts us. 

So if he stays we can start building a strong squad around him and if he goes and goes early enough we can start to use his money to build a new team. 

• Like 1

If we wanted to, we could listen to a bid of £30m.  The rumoured £32.5m (or whatever the figure actually is) means that we have to let them talk to Benteke and he can leave for them if he wants.

As for whether we have the ability to choose between 2 sides that both meet the minimum valuation, I'm not sure.  Maybe we don't.

I do think the method of payment would have to be acceptable to us though.  It couldn't be £32.5m paid in £50 notes one per month for the foreseeable future.

Indeed, although certain other clubs in the Premier League seem to take the related opinions that 'possession is 9/10ths of the law' and 'contracts aren't worth the paper  they're written on'.

but RE; Selling clause

And therein lies my point

If Chelsea bid more, and Villa & Kismet are going halves on a one-way ticket. Will they be buying a ticket to LONDON or Wolfsburg?

Why would Chelsea bid more? They'd just offer that extra money to Benteke and his Agent for wages/signing on, we wouldn't see a penny

• Like 1

When Joe Allen was at Swansea, he had a release clause in his contract, but with caveat that it could only triggered if it was met by a certain five clubs. Maybe Benteke has something similar, or there's some other twist to it.

Edited by useless

Make of this what you will.

A German football agent (a business associate of mine) touting a CF to Wolfsburg (CL) has been told that they are "very interested in Benteke" if Chelsea dont start a bidding war.

Considering Plop are buying Ings - Spurs are very quiet (they'll have to move a few MF's on before they can buy big)

Only ManU/C, Arsenal & Chelsea (PL & CL) can afford Benteke. Citeh are the only ones who dont need a striker. ManU & Chelsea do, Arsenal maybe not.

However, him mentioning only Chelsea makes me think that Benteke will either go to Chelsea or Wolfsburg.

There is no bidding war. Its £32.5m for everyone. Nothing more, nothing less. Unless he means bidding war in terms how much they offer for his contract

For example, Wolfsburg bid 32.5m - Wolfsburg can talk to Benteke

Chelsea offer 35m (what's 2.5m to Abram....) Agent sends Benteke straight to Chelski for a medical

Not sure it works like that - if Benteke is sold this summer it will be for £32.5m - no more no less. If Chelsea really want him they will have to offer Benteke and his agent more than Wolfsburg. Either way AVFC will get £32.5m.

I dont want to drag this on & on

But

Arsenal bid 1pound more than the "Trigger clause" for Saurez.

How much did Barcelona end up paying?

Edited by Grasshopper

Liverpoo -Champions league :crylaugh: now thats funny, like us, living in the past.

I don't get this tbh. We go on about how good benteke is and how he's worth so much money, yet people rubbish the idea that he'd possibly go a long way towards turning the 6th placed team into top 4 contenders? If he's not capable of that then he's not worth the money we're saying he is. And if he is capable of that, then there's no reason why he shouldn't join Liverpool

Yes i agree. With Suarez they came close to winning the title so with Benteke they should come close to top 4 

Well, surely Poo dont need him now they have the marquee signing of Ings.

• Like 1

But

Suarez signed a new deal after the Arsenal bid 

• Like 1

But

But he signed a new contract that last season for Liverpool so that clause didn't apply any more. 

Â