Christian Benteke

Kwan

Just read that Spurs forum. What a laugh! I loved the comments by pablo73 then looked at his picture of the characters from League of Gentlemen. Sums it up. The new greeting from Spurs fans to each other, "Give me six!"

I thought this one was interesting.

if we start the season with ade and defoe I'm going to smash DL doors in

From the Spurs forum:

I'm a little bit less than a tanned toned adonis. I've lost my hair and I'm a bit pastey at times. 
So when I was single man out on the prowl I would put potential ladies into brackets. Above my league. Below my league. In my league.

I'd waste a little time trying the above my league ladies but usually they wanted a better looking kind of man. Or one with money. Or one with both. 

So naturally I dropped down into the ones in my league. I had some decent success here. They were nice looking but not top notch.
Occasionally though I'd be out and no one in my league would be available. I'm in desperate need of a fix. I've got no chance what so ever of pulling the ladies from the league above me. So basically I pull one from the league below me. 

Cause I'd rather do that that go home and have a wank.

Daniel Levy. If you're reading this. I am you. And the ladies are potential strikers you need to sign. 
Stop **** around with the ones in the league above you. While there is still time try finding someone in your league. Because if you don't there's only the ones beneath you left..
Or most likely you'll go home and enjoy your wank seeing as you're a right fisted rocket polisher.

At least they are now admitting Benteke is out of their league.

Edited by LondonLax

Well Levy is very queasy around the £20m mark and anything above he just won't entertain. It's quite obvious that we stood our ground viz. our valuation of the player, which was probably towards if not touching £30m. None of Spurs' shit reserve players would tickle our fancy either so Levy called it a day. Benteke + agent realised this and hence signed the contract because this his most important season in his career so far given it is a world cup year.

I'm glad we didn't lose him to Spurs because they are a club that I detest and really aren't anything special. It would be easier to see him go to a top team but Spurs? Well that would have been too much for Pangloss.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

You could be a bit more enthusiastic about it MJ for goodness sake.  :mellow:

I've just spent ages catching up with this thread, and realised I needed to compete! 

I think Spurs had him tapped up around January time, they thought £15 million would be enough around then especially if we were relegated.

Since then we hit form and Benteke's improvement gradient went on a larger curve and we will be in the premier league next season. All this added £££ to Benteke's value.

I always thought Spurs would struggle to meet our value, they don't seem to go the extra few million for the biggest purchase of all. It's not a knock at them, they do things properly in terms of finances. Infact I think we've learned quite a bit from them in terms of running a football club.

I don't like how they use the media (and they do) to push deals through, but I suppose they have that up their sleeve, just don't moan when teams like Liverpool and Man Utd do it to them.

Well Levy is very queasy around the £20m mark and anything above he just won't entertain. It's quite obvious that we stood our ground viz. our valuation of the player, which was probably towards if not touching £30m. None of Spurs' shit reserve players would tickle our fancy either so Levy called it a day. Benteke + agent realised this and hence signed the contract because this his most important season in his career so far given it is a world cup year.

I'm glad we didn't lose him to Spurs because they are a club that I detest and really aren't anything special. It would be easier to see him go to a top team but Spurs? Well that would have been too much for Pangloss.

I think he's quite right to refuse to pay over £20m for a footballer.

What's a problem is that he thinks he's Mr Big Time, sits at the poker table, but is wasting everyone's time.  If he would just behave sensibly and try to negotiate transfers within his budget, without all the "I'm a right smooth operator, me" bollocks, he wouldn't be quite the arse that he comes across as.

Why?

Firstly I am still really pleased Benteke is still with us for at least another year. Re Spuds pricing of him it seems a bit strange that they didnt even get near the 25 mil mark. If they really wanted him I think that would have been a fair price in todays market- if Andy Caroll is worth 30 mil, etc etc.The guy is 22 and unless he goes all hollywood he is going to get better. It could have been enough for Spuds to go from being a top 6 side to a top 4, and that would have paid for the fee.

The more I think about this, the more I think this wasn't a plan to get more wages, he's just been told by Lambert 'Spurs can't afford you, our deadline has passed, you're staying here like it or not. You can stay here and be miserable and I'll freeze you out, or you can sign a new contract on higher wages and play yourself into the World Cup team, your choice'.

I'm still not entirely convinced he wants to be here.. but hopefully the lure of the World Cup (and of next summer's transfer window) will keep him eager to perform.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong. But I just can't see how such a big U-turn in his attitude to being here is possible.

• Like 2

Why?

It's not only the transfer fees, it's also the wages, agent fees, commercial sponsorship etc.

The game has been taken away from us.  The more people collude in paying fantasy sums because they think they can get away with it and squeeze out their competitors, the worse it gets.

Levy may be a clown, but he does at least try to operate the club on a sustainable financial footing, and so he should.

Why is this too much?  Well, look at what you pay to see a game of football now compared to 20 years ago, adjust for inflation, and then complain bitterly.  What other form of entertainment has managed to rip off the punters so handsomely?

And again, yes fees are only a part of that.  My complaint is wider, but includes silly sums for players.  It's all part of creating the elite class of clubs who will get the telly deals which will generate the sponsorship which will attract the clubs who can pay the top wages and pay off the agents and get the marketing which makes you pay £45 for a shirt that falls apart after two washes, and you're supposed to feel grateful.

Well **** that.

• Like 1

Why?

I don't understand this question. Any club can pay whatever they like for a footballer, if the selling club wants more than the potential buyers want to pay, no sale. That's exactly what happened here. Spurs were well within their rights not to pay more than £20m, and the end result was that the player didnt move

Why?

It's not only the transfer fees, it's also the wages, agent fees, commercial sponsorship etc.

The game has been taken away from us.  The more people collude in paying fantasy sums because they think they can get away with it and squeeze out their competitors, the worse it gets.

Levy may be a clown, but he does at least try to operate the club on a sustainable financial footing, and so he should.

Why is this too much?  Well, look at what you pay to see a game of football now compared to 20 years ago, adjust for inflation, and then complain bitterly.  What other form of entertainment has managed to rip off the punters so handsomely?

And again, yes fees are only a part of that.  My complaint is wider, but includes silly sums for players.  It's all part of creating the elite class of clubs who will get the telly deals which will generate the sponsorship which will attract the clubs who can pay the top wages and pay off the agents and get the marketing which makes you pay £45 for a shirt that falls apart after two washes, and you're supposed to feel grateful.

Well **** that.

I agree. People complain about ridiculous transfer/agent fees and exorbitant wages without realising that it is in fact themselves, either directly or indirectly, that fund it. Whether it's match tickets, Sky subscriptions, merchandising or patronising sponsors. The "sugar daddies" do their bit nowadays too but most of the time, by simply supporting their team, people continue separate themselves from this sport. Bar withdrawing your "support", what can be done?

Why?

I don't understand this question. Any club can pay whatever they like for a footballer, if the selling club wants more than the potential buyers want to pay, no sale. That's exactly what happened here. Spurs were well within their rights not to pay more than £20m, and the end result was that the player didnt move

I didn't say he wasn't within his rights. Though if Spurs (or anyone) want to compete at the very highest level then thats the game you need to be in.

Im just gonna put it down to Lambert talking some sense into him, compared with the likes of his agent filling him with shite and Benteke being young and just going along with what he thinks is best.  We can be 99% sure that he is gonna be here next season and who knows we might get up near the european places and maybe qualify for the europa places and that might be enough to keep him for anouther year, especially with Lambert as manager to keep him focused.

Firstly I am still really pleased Benteke is still with us for at least another year. Re Spuds pricing of him it seems a bit strange that they didnt even get near the 25 mil mark. If they really wanted him I think that would have been a fair price in todays market- if Andy Caroll is worth 30 mil, etc etc.The guy is 22 and unless he goes all hollywood he is going to get better. It could have been enough for Spuds to go from being a top 6 side to a top 4, and that would have paid for the fee.

I don't know why people keep using this example. It's precisely because of the Andy Carroll to Liverpool deal that clubs are shying away from overpaying for a young guy who's only had one good season. Nobody wants to buy the next Carroll.

(I am in NO WAY saying that Benteke is "the next Carroll." I'm only pointing out why a club like Spurs would be reluctant to break their transfer record for the second time in a couple of weeks, for a guy who's only had one season in the Premier League. I actually think Benteke would have been a beast for Spurs, so I'm delighted we get to keep him. I'm glad we're not playing against him next season.)

Â