Christian Benteke

Kwan

Belgian guy I think you need to understand Paul Lambert and what he is trying to build at Villa. He has stated on numerous occasions that he only wants players who want to play for the club.

You can guarantee that he will not be held to ransom by a player who will only stay if they are offered more money than we are prepared to pay.

He has shown he is willing to reward players with pay rises despite them still having 3 years left on a contract but this will have to fit in with the clubs new wage structure.

The club has shown they will not fall at the first sign of player unrest and I fully back them on this.

i understand paul lambert but you can't expect a modern player to be happy to get a pricetag of 30mil£ and still on 20K/week. i know personally i think theyr al big babies for complaining about a generous salary and even want more. but sadly this is modern football :(

We have to look at this from Bentekes point of view. He deserves to be on the same money as Bent 65k - 70k, if we can't match it for one player in the team, the best player, the goal scorer then our business plan is not going to work

• Like 1

The beat thing Benteke couls do is sign a new deal and then we sell. We did it with Platt. He felt the club had given him his shot on the big stage so he signed a new deal and Big Ron kept his word to sell to Bari. Meant the club got more money and he left on good terms. Benteke is going very get an Anelka reputation as being a mercenary.

Belgian guy I think you need to understand Paul Lambert and what he is trying to build at Villa. He has stated on numerous occasions that he only wants players who want to play for the club.

You can guarantee that he will not be held to ransom by a player who will only stay if they are offered more money than we are prepared to pay.

He has shown he is willing to reward players with pay rises despite them still having 3 years left on a contract but this will have to fit in with the clubs new wage structure.

The club has shown they will not fall at the first sign of player unrest and I fully back them on this.

i understand paul lambert but you can't expect a modern player to be happy to get a pricetag of 30mil£ and still on 20K/week. i know personally i think theyr al big babies for complaining about a generous salary and even want more. but sadly this is modern football :(

He isn't still on 20k a week though. He has clearly been offered a payrise which is something the club don't have to do.

Quite frankly we could offer him 80k a week for 4 years and he decides he has made it and turns out crap for the next 2 years.

The club HAS to be sensible about this.

Totally wrong Tinker. He didn't create his goals by himself. There were another 10 players on that pitch setting his goals up. I would say that, due to our defenaive frailties, that Guzan contribution was just as, if MORE crucial to us staying up. He saved us in so many games. It is a team game. I am 100% sure that Messi would NEVER take credit for his achievements without acknowledging his team mates contribution.

1 season in and a double your money pay rise is a great deal. Another season of the same and THEN you look at moving.

• Like 2

But to be fair none have them have sparkled to extent that Benteke has. Would westwood have signed that extension had he walloped in 12 goals from midfield, got an england call up, and overtures from Arsenal and Spurs ?

.  Our young and Hungry policy is retaining the services of the calibre of  Clark, Westwood, Baker -, but is horribly exposed in the case of Benteke........

• Like 1

Just out of interest, if Benteke had not of played for the club last season, but we had Bent in the team instead, do you think we would of still stayed up?

I think so, would have played to Bent's strengths and he most likely would have scored as many goals based on his track record.

We have to look at this from Bentekes point of view. He deserves to be on the same money as Bent 65k - 70k, if we can't match it for one player in the team, the best player, the goal scorer then our business plan is not going to work

65-75k won't be our wage ceiling for long. If he want's to jump skip in the mean time, the club needs to use the maximum leverage it has to obtain the best fee.  

Belgian Guy - he signed a contract for 20k when he was valued at £7m it's just that after last season his stock has risen.

I agree that his contract needed renegotiating to put him on a higher wage. Villa tried this but CB has had his head turned by the overtures of Spurzzz and his agent.

Personally, even after one very good season I wouldn't put CB on astronomical wages because what would it achieve? CB could kick back and think he's made it and if he has a shit following season, no one will want to buy him and he'd be on silly wages.

I'd like to think Villa offered him a reasonable deal (doubling his wages) with a caveat that if he scored more than 15 (or so) goals, he would trigger a pay rise. That would keep him hungry to achieve more with the club.

Sure, a footballers career is short but nowadays they're all millionaires within a few seasons - if that can't set themselves up for life on the back of a 5-10yr career they seriously need to employ an accountant and take a good look at themselves.

I'd also understand if it were a Champions League team he wanted to sign for - Spudzzz are continual also-rans and I believe that if he stayed with Villa, had another good season and a decent World Cup he could have the pick of the teams across Europe.

He's been impatient and led astray by his agent who can see the dollar signs too.....

Very poor show indeed

I'm pretty sure that if we could just switch their wages round we would.

We have to look at this from Bentekes point of view. He deserves to be on the same money as Bent 65k - 70k

Why?

He has had one good season unlike Bent who has proved himself with an excellent record for many years.

But to be fair none have them have sparkled to extent that Benteke has. Would westwood have signed that extension had he walloped in 12 goals from midfield, got an england call up, and overtures from Arsenal and Spurs ?

. Our young and Hungry policy is retaining the services of the calibre of Clark, Westwood, Baker -, but is horribly exposed in the case of Benteke........

I agree to an extent but Guzan won the awards last season and was more than happy to sign. A lot of it depends on the player and his mentality.

I believe at some point we will need to offer bigger wages but not this early in to Lamberts project.

There is quite clearly a plan in place and busting the wage structure after one year because a player threatens to leave is not part of the plan.

the only person we have to blame for this is bentekes agent, who has been touting him even before he stepped foot off the plane

CB is young, and therefore influential, his cowboy agent has poisoned his head to go elsewhere for more money so he can also get more money, had benteke had a different agent i reckon things would of been different

for this, i hope benteke flops elsewhere and doesnt make the belguim squad, even though they have better anyway, which despite benteke being brilliant, just shows the level of the rest of them imo

I do have to laugh at the posts who say give him 60-80k because he's proved he's worth it. Have we learned nothing? He has not proved he is worth that kind of money on a long term deal.

He has had a good season and has apparently been offered new terms. I hope it was a very incentive-based contract but it doesn't really matter because he has declined it. He thinks he is a big shot who has made it and should be paid big shot money. We shouldn't be the club that pays it at this stage of his career unless it is strictly performance related.

• Like 2

Mario Gotze (Until last summer): £15k a week

Robert Lewandowski: £24k a week

Benteke can jog on if he wants £70k+. Us offering him 40-50k his more than he is worth after one season in all honesty.

götze was on 80k a week lewandowski idk

Benteke can jog on if he wants £70k+. Us offering him 40-50k his more than he is worth after one season in all honesty.

Yeah, last summer he upped his contract by 4 years until 2016 and was on £76k.

However, by that time Götze had already won two League titles. I think Benteke is a quality striker, and I think he will get better and better and could potentially, so long as he keeps going as he has been, be one of the best strikers in the world.

However, I think it would be stupid after one good season to offer him anything more than 50k a week. He may well prove to be worth 70k, 90k or even eventually 150k a weeks worth of player. But for our club it would set a stupid precedent whereby one good, (albeit great) season makes you a top class player. 70k+ makes you that, it's not Wayne Rooney wages but some of the best players in the world outside of the Absolute Mega Rich clubs are on those wages.

If Lowton or Westwood have a similarly amazing season, they would want 60-70k. They are not worth that wage. Only takes one or two of them to get to that wage and suddenly start to fail and we are in a world of hurt. 

Edited by HalfTimePost

However, by that time Götze had already won two League titles.

true but a little hard for benteke to win 2 league titles with aston villa huh..

Mario Gotze (Until last summer): £15k a week

Benteke can jog on if he wants £70k+. Us offering him 40-50k his more than he is worth after one season in all honesty.

However, by that time Götze had already won two League titles.

true but a little hard for benteke to win 2 league titles with aston villa huh..

Spurs for the title next season?

Â