Christian Benteke

Kwan

My thoughts can be greeted with hoots of derision if you wish, but at least I have based them on some actual facts, rather than mere Villa-biased assertion.

Villa are not going to sell their best player at a considerable discount to their direct competitor. 

That's the only fact you need to know.

If you want to buy a player who is actually going to be sold at a considerable discount to what he's really worth, Barry Bannan's your man. You lack quality short, attacking midfielders since you sold Modric for far more money than he was worth. 

Yes - Bannan's your man. Absolute World Class. His free kicks & corners are a million times better than Bale. He is a real driving force in the centre of the park. Great in the tackle. Has over 50 assists to his game this season & is exemplary off the pitch.

We realise now that you are just trying to unsettle Benteke because your real target is Bannan.

Now I see why they call you the crafty cockney's.

Okay, we give in. So be it, have your compromise.

Bannan it is then £10M

His transfer request will be in first thing tomorrow morning.

ps - great doin' business with you me old cocker sparra' ;)

I think £12m is more realistic. He is a Scottish international after all!

It's not just Spurs fans plenty think we are delusional asking £25 million for Benteke. I think all fans are delusional to an extent out of loyalty. Man Utd fans were convinced Ronaldo was going to come back to them from Real Madrid where everyone else was just  laughing at the thought.

Delusion has to be separated from logic 

I think logic is in our favour saying Benteke is worth 25 million minimum, and it's Spurs with the delusions.

I recall Tottenham fans telling us how Barry was going to sign for them and he didn't.

I recall Tottenham fans telling us how Young was going to sign for them and he didn't.

Now Tottenham fans are telling us £25m rated Benteke is going to join them for some bargain basement fee.

Just laugh and remind them they've won less league titles than Huddersfield Town and have never won the big European competition. :)

Edited by Brumstopdogs

I still cant believe he wants to go to Spurs

There is no doubt they are currently ahead of us. However they are a very mediocre club and who in terms of history aren't in anything like our league. I also think that with in the next 2 - 3 years if Lambert stays with us and what he is trying to do comes off then we will again be ahead of them.

I am sure at the moment he sees them as a stepping stone and a fast track to eventually going to a really big club.

Come on Spurs aren't a mediocre club! I think the London factor puts them ahead of us.

Arsenal and Chelsea are much better than them though e.g. champions league football yet again for Arsenal and a winning mentality that Chelsea have. Like Glaston I deal in facts.

They could both yet come in for Benteke before the summer is out.

Edited by VillaChris

I recall Tottenham fans telling us how Barry was going to sign for them and he didn't.

I recall Tottenham fans telling us how Young was going to sign for them and he didn't.

Now Tottenham fans are telling us £25m rated Benteke is going to join them for some bargain basement fee.

Just laugh and remind them they've won less league titles than Huddersfield Town and have never won the big European competition. :)

I'd forgotten about Young and Barry being linked to Spurs.

They have a poor record when trying to buy from us don't they.

Interesting one of the reports said we weren't keen on dealing with Levy as we felt we were ripped off with the Jenas deal.

That was mostly due to our incompetence but could be an interesting side point.

We must have dealt with him again to loan Dawkins though so we can't be all that stubborn about dealing with him post Jenas.

Would be fitting if Levy started having clubs refuse to deal with him after all the crap he's supposedly pulled with his negotiating style.

Interesting one of the reports said we weren't keen on dealing with Levy as we felt we were ripped off with the Jenas deal.

No. I think rumour has it that Randy spotted Levy hanging out used tea bags & toilet tissue on his washing line to dry last time we visited Wipe Arse Lane :P  ;)  :D ?

I doubt whether Villa management would want to give out the impression that they felt 'ripped off'

As for incompetence, I guess the fact that the manager at the time wanted to take a known crock on loan could be classed as incompetence, but the management only did the team manager's bidding by securing the player that he had targeted.

I still think he will end up at Man City. They've said today that they want a striker.

£40m for them, £25m-£30m for everyone else.

My inclination would be a flat £30m with add ons of £2.5m per 80 appearances at his new club, plus a 50% of sell on profit. If he turns out to be a one season wonder, then they are only £30m out of pocket, and if he is a roaring success, then we get his true value.

The trouble with players going to so called 'big' clubs (not Spurs) is that they tend to stay for a long time, so I think appearance as well as sell on clauses are the way to go.

I doubt whether Villa management would want to give out the impression that they felt 'ripped off'

As for incompetence, I guess the fact that the manager at the time wanted to take a known crock on loan could be classed as incompetence, but the management only did the team manager's bidding by securing the player that he had targeted.

McLeish can be blamed for identifying the player (and Hutton) but I assumed he didn't draw up the contract which apparently had us paying most of his wages (normally it's 50:50 or even the parent club paying most of his wages as ironically Spurs got Man. City to do with Adebayor) and also no return clause once he inevitably got crocked.

I still think he will end up at Man City. They've said today that they want a striker.

If only this were a few seasons ago when Liverpool were splashing the cash.

For the record I think Levy is a superb negotiator and one of the best chairman in the business.

Interesting that a few Spurs fans don't like him messing about with these deals until the actual deadline. Spurs missed out on champions league by a point last year and incredibly they didn't even win any of their first three games which were the undaunting trio of Newcastle away and West Brom and Norwich at home.

Levy, hero or villain Spurs fans?

i understand that Spurs did try to buy Benteke in January, but were knocked back.  Had they managed to do so, then they would likely have made the CL spot. This may drive them to come to Villa's price now.

My inclination would be a flat £30m with add ons of £2.5m per 80 appearances at his new club, plus a 50% of sell on profit. If he turns out to be a one season wonder, then they are only £30m out of pocket, and if he is a roaring success, then we get his true value.

The trouble with players going to so called 'big' clubs (not Spurs) is that they tend to stay for a long time, so I think appearance as well as sell on clauses are the way to go.

He's already a roaring success, so, let's get his true value £35M minimum & not a penny less.

McLeish can be blamed for identifying the player (and Hutton) but I assumed he didn't draw up the contract which apparently had us paying most of his wages (normally it's 50:50 or even the parent club paying most of his wages as ironically Spurs got Man. City to do with Adebayor) and also no return clause once he inevitably got crocked.

I think that you will find in the Premiership that it is 'normal' nowadays for a club to pay a fee and 100% of the wages, remember that we paid a £2m fee for Scott Carson. The Adebayor thing was an exception as Man City just didn't want him, so someone paying half his wages was better than nothing. On that theme £60-65k per week for a player is about the Spurs maximum, and they are apparently pretty tight on it, Bale excepted I suppose, but that will only be for a season anyway.

Â