Christian Benteke

Kwan

So when you talked about the reasons (or what you thought were the reasons) for players "continually wanting to leave" you were not referring to Benteke, despite this thread being about him and despite his obvious desire to leave?

Answer the question Mantis. How do you know Benteke's transfer request is due to wages?

Seeing as neither of you seem to be answering each others questions how about you both drop it and stop boring everyone with this.

On and please stop the massive multi quotes.

• Like 4

If I were a spurs fan - I would want my club to pay £25m for Bentekke. He's only only 22 and scored 19 goals - and created in 40% of villa's other goals. Ive been watching villa for 40 years - In my opinion he really is that good. If you kept Bale and had Bentekke - I have you as a good outside bet for the prem title next year.

The only doubts I have are:-

• He only has one season in the prem
  •  
  • Towards the end of season other seemed to try and wind him up - and Bentekke took the bait.

But I really think he would be last peice of the jigsaw for you.

What was point 2? :P

• Like 1

Well there's a surprise. 

I bet you're a real laugh in social situations woody.

So my whole social appearance is in question because I find it a disgrace that John Carew openly admits he ripped off the people paying his wages?

Jesus, in what conceivable way was one of our best players, who was usually one of the first names on the team sheet when we were comfortably top 6 ripping off the people who paid his wages? He was our top goal scorer for about three years in a row. I think we got value for money for Carew.

The player we bought was a lazy shite, but O'Neill put up with that because he scored lots of goals.

If he wants to go to tottenham he is even more stupid then i tought..If our players continues to develop it's not totally out of the blue that in 2 years time we will have a better team than them..

But teams like chelsea ,Man u and cithe are in league of thier own..they buy players for massives fees and offer them massive salaries..the only way to compete with those would be if some loaded Arab or a russian jew bought us.

I'd hate us to be bullied around by Spurs but at the same time from a purely footballing perspective the idea of Benteke leading the line with Bale behind him is mouth watering. So to conclude, we should sign Bale....

• Like 3

Well there's a surprise. 

I bet you're a real laugh in social situations woody.

So my whole social appearance is in question because I find it a disgrace that John Carew openly admits he ripped off the people paying his wages?

Jesus, in what conceivable way was one of our best players, who was usually one of the first names on the team sheet when we were comfortably top 6 ripping off the people who paid his wages? He was our top goal scorer for about three years in a row. I think we got value for money for Carew.

The player we bought was a lazy shite, but O'Neill put up with that because he scored lots of goals.

My point is that he hasnt totally covered himself in glory, so slating Benteke is wrong imo. Benteke has scored half as many goals as Carew in less than a quarter of the time. He deserves bigger and better things and will get it.

• Like 1

i personally loved carew he had such a rapport with the fans, but yes he didnt perform well in every game but who does these days?

when he was at his best he blew most teams apart ask blose at villa park where he destroyed them 5-1

i personally loved carew he had such a rapport with the fans, but yes he didnt perform well in every game but who does these days?

when he was at his best he blew most teams apart ask blose at villa park where he destroyed them 5-1

Will never forget the second half against Reading in the cup when we were 2-0 down and brought him on. Unplayable on his day. 

Yes we fans have a loyalty to our clubs. But since footballers rarely get to play for the club they support or their club is not near the standard of their football. Then why should they show any special loyalty to a club that can neither pay them as well as another club nor get close to achieving success as another.

Benteke had said Arsenal is the dream. If he does indeed dream of playing for Arsenal then good luck to him. It should be quite amazing feeling for him should he get to walk out at The Emirates. But I don't see why he should have any special loyalty to Villa. He played superb for us last season and we'll at least triple what we paid for him. We can only ever think of the Benteke signing as a resounding success for us.

As I said yesterday. His stock is currently high and he can get a contract now which will secure his future financially even if injury and loss of form struck him down. He is more than entitled to take his personal interests and security as paramount over anything else. I just hope he lets the agent and club sort out the future and keeps away from the media. That's really all fans ask of a player.

• Like 1

Judging by his Twitter, he seems pretty pally with his Belgian buddies in London. He's definitely off to London and I'd be surprised if his first choice wasn't Chelsea because there he has more money, the chance to play with some of the best in the world, the chance to be managed by Mourinho, the chance to play with de Bruyne, Hazard and Lukaku, and the chance to actually win medals. He won't get any of that at Spuds. Tottenham may be better than us but I don't think they can offer him much in terms of success

On the Benteke thing then I think that Villa need to decide what price they think he's worth. If it's truly £25m, if they think he'll be worth than that next year, and will add a lot to the side in the mean-time then they should hang on to him. Personally having watched him a few times I wouldn't value him anywhere near that highly, and I'd be surprised if other clubs do either,

I stopped here.

You missed out then, because it was a very good post.

No arguing :D

If he wants to go to tottenham he is even more stupid then i tought..If our players continues to develop it's not totally out of the blue that in 2 years time we will have a better team than them..

But teams like chelsea ,Man u and cithe are in league of thier own..they buy players for massives fees and offer them massive salaries..the only way to compete with those would be if some loaded Arab or a russian jew bought us.

Your avatar gives me the creeps.......

Ironically, I know have a fear that he will stay for another year due to us playing hard ball. I have no issue with us being stubborn, and I don't really know what are valuation is. But lets say it is 30m, I think I would prefer a sale of 25m instead of keeping Benteke for another year. I think he would still score a lot of goals for us, but there is no way he would be 100% and he would not be able to hit the ground running after all this.

For me, lets get it done, move on and lets not halt the inevitable.

• Like 2

Hadnt Carew by Benteke's age already won a Champs League medal?

if benteke is off to chelsea he has at least a bigger chanse on winning the CL imo

Belgian Guy - you are no longer welcome in here.

jokes

• Like 1

Ironically, I know have a fear that he will stay for another year due to us playing hard ball. I have no issue with us being stubborn, and I don't really know what are valuation is. But lets say it is 30m, I think I would prefer a sale of 25m instead of keeping Benteke for another year. I think he would still score a lot of goals for us, but there is no way he would be 100% and he would not be able to hit the ground running after all this.

For me, lets get it done, move on and lets not halt the inevitable.

I don't doubt for a second that Benteke isn't a one hit wonder, but I agree that he isn't going to be playing with his head in the game and he isn't going to be playing to his full potential.

Sell him for a good price as soon as we can and replace him.

Edited by Spoony

I agree with almost all of your post except your valuation of him.

The guy just scored 19 PL goals in his first season, in a struggling side and has just turned 22. Add to this the fact most of his goals came in the later stages of the season once he adapted and you start to see the true potential of what he can do. He scores from range and in close, he scores headers for fun and with both feet. He can play in behind people or with his back to goal and can play other people in.

Compare his stats for goals and assists to Suarez last season, then take into account his age, the time it took for him to settle, the team he was playing in and his attitude/behaviour. Then come back and tell me he isn't worth £25m.

As you say, you've watched him from afar a couple of times so that isn't really any basis to judge the fee. Realistically, forgetting the fact I'm a Villa fan and just looking at it in pure footballing worth I think he is closer to being worth £30m. That is without taking into account our desire not to sell him and the premium that puts on prices.

He was, I think I'm right in saying, the 4th highest league scorer in Europe post Christmas behind the finest names there are out there.

If you get him, you will get a gem of a player but hopefully you pay the price for doing so.

Other than that I agree with you.

Just had an argument with my mate about benteke's value. he said we'd be stupid not to take £20m. I have just used ur post to prove otherwise. £30m minimum 

Â