Christian Benteke

Kwan

His agent is bloody stupid.  If he really wanted to make Benteke and himself some money he would not have handed in a transfer request.  Another one in the bad list.  I've met so many bad ones now, I've lost count.

I never really undserstood this - his transfer from villa won't exclude from the world cup. In fact if he goes to a CL club - it might enhance his prospects. Of course if he has a poor season his chances will dip - but thats the same if he stays at villa.

I don't actually think the world cup has any influence on his decision ewither way. Big bucks and a succesful team - 2 things villa can't currently offer.

Your original question about him being bothered about the world cup was in response to my scenario where he ends up having to stay at Villa. All I was saying was that if he stays here, he will have to have a good season because of the world cup. So all's well that ends well.

Agreed.

My comments above were in response to those that think Bentekke will stay (or would have) because he wants to play in the world cup in 2014. - and a move away would jeopordise such chances. Always a weak arguement IMO

Yep, I take it personally.  It's a product of emotional investment and the idea that sits firmly in my head (as well as probably everyone else's) that he's an amazing talent that will be trying to beat us next year if all goes his way.  And I suppose I'm a bit different than many on here (those who say it's just business).  I believe in loyalty, respect, etc.  Yes I would turn down a pay raise to prove loyalty (with the job I have, I pretty much do that anyway).  I also get that we got him because of his lack of loyalty to a previous club.  I think the footballing world would be a lot better off with more loyalty.  Pipe dreams, I know.  Still, when an episode like this happens it's just a stern reminder of what I believe to be the soddy nature of the game.  Oh, well.  Get 30 million and I'll feel better.  

• Like 3

I don't think you can have a moan at Lerner on this. I like the statement the club has put out and I think we'll get a good price for him.

I guess you could have a little moan about the club Lerner's turned us into which has meant Benteke wants to leave after just 12 months, but then on the other hand it was this new approach which allowed us to buy him in the first place.

If Lerner provides the majority of the fee to strengthen the squad, a long with money that was already planned to be spent then he deserves praise and it will show this new approach and model is working well.

I worry this won't be the case but you can't moan at Lerner till it happens.

Like I said. This is the moment the owner shows what the real plans are.

Also in regards to Benteke and a World Cup year. I don't care if the World Cup makes sure he plays hard if he has to stay. I don't want him here. I don't want to watch or cheer a player who has made his feelings clear. Get a good price and **** him off quickly.

I honestly don't think that really matters - we were banging on the door of the top four and Barry, Young, and Milner still wanted out.

We should make a deal with Spurs... We will sell you Benteke for £25m.... AFTER you sell Bale to whoever for however much... Why should we lose what everyone else sees as our crown jewel and they not lose theirs??

His agent is bloody stupid.  If he really wanted to make Benteke and himself some money he would not have handed in a transfer request.  Another one in the bad list.  I've met so many bad ones now, I've lost count.

They're still clearly going to make an obscene amount of money though!

Maybe I'm mad here or a bit of a tinted glasses kinda guy, but if had just been relegated or the club looked as if it were going nowhere, striving for nothing, I could completely understand. But we're not, we're doing alright and we look good to improve a fair bit next season. I find it astonishing that he doesn't back himself to give another year here, bang in 30 goals this time and impress the world even more, then go to a bigger club than Spurs on much, much bigger wages.

It boggles the mind, the human attitude. He's only **** 22...

It may well be the agent trying to get the best deal he can right now.

Football is a pretty fickle sport. Benteke could do his knee during preseason training and not play again. He might have a difficult second season and fall out of favour.

His hype is very high right now due to a strong start to the year. His agent probably wants to strike whilst the iron is hot and secure a contract that will set him up as a millionaire whilst he can.

If he did a Casiraghi, made a big money move, ruptured his cruciate and had to quit forever... THAT would be the most beautiful and poetic thing to happen right about now...

I don't think you can have a moan at Lerner on this. I like the statement the club has put out and I think we'll get a good price for him.

I guess you could have a little moan about the club Lerner's turned us into which has meant Benteke wants to leave after just 12 months, but then on the other hand it was this new approach which allowed us to buy him in the first place.

If Lerner provides the majority of the fee to strengthen the squad, a long with money that was already planned to be spent then he deserves praise and it will show this new approach and model is working well.

I worry this won't be the case but you can't moan at Lerner till it happens.

Like I said. This is the moment the owner shows what the real plans are.

Also in regards to Benteke and a World Cup year. I don't care if the World Cup makes sure he plays hard if he has to stay. I don't want him here. I don't want to watch or cheer a player who has made his feelings clear. Get a good price and **** him off quickly.

I honestly don't think that really matters - we were banging on the door of the top four and Barry, Young, and Milner still wanted out.

Correct. This self loathing about us being poor little Villa is just nonsense. This kind of crap happens to nearly every team. Arsenal, ManU, Liverpool, Dortmund. All have had their best players kick up a fuss and move. Its football and we tap up other peoples players (and managers) as much as anyone else.

Just get the cash and hurl abuse at the alien eared freak next time he is at Villa Park :)

I hope he doesn't go to Spurs, the whole of the rest of the transfer window will be them offering £15m, us saying no, then £15.5m and so on. Spurs are tight wads and we always get screwed when we deal with them.

This is the exact reason why Villa have said that there is an amount that we want, by a date we deem acceptable.

If Spurs increase their offer with single pound coins, and have offered us £16.75m by the deadline, then they'll miss out on him.

• Like 1

Does nobody care that this man actually ensured we are still a premier league team? Talk of hoping he gets injured and ends his career may be in jest but boy is it crude.

He would be crazy to want to stay IMO.

Correct. This self loathing about us being poor little Villa is just nonsense. This kind of crap happens to nearly every team. Arsenal, ManU, Liverpool, Dortmund. All have had their best players kick up a fuss and move. Its football and we tap up other peoples players (and managers) as much as anyone else.

Just get the cash and hurl abuse at the alien eared freak next time he is at Villa Park :)

It's also why we're not a selling club or a feeder club. The act of having a player bought by someone in a better position doesn't make you a selling club. United lost Ronaldo. Are they a selling club? Liverpool are struggling to hold on to wantaway Suarez. Are they a selling club? No, it's the way football works. That's just normal transfer business.
  • Like 1

Â