Christian Benteke

Kwan

They have quite a few young prospects on the way up.  

They might be willing to let one go if they want Benteke bad enough.

No, you're being a sucker for reputation again.

Think about it.

Anyone they are willing to let go is shit. Not good enough for us.

The only way a player swap deal could work for us is if we had complete freedom to choose any player we wanted.

That won't happen. We'll get a choice of the not-good-enough brigade.

You are aware that we have been in the bottom 5 the last few season whilst Spurs have been in the top 5 arn't you?

There are a number of their players who would be in the fringe of their squad who would walk into ours.

Any player from Spurs is on the way down, we are looking for players on the way up.

As I said, the only way a player swap deal could work for us is if we had complete freedom to choose any player we want.

That won't happen. Spurs will just offer us their standard hamper basket which is full of shit.

You can't possibly believe that? :lol:

I think what Con means that any player Spurs are willing to offer us are on the way down.

And I agree when Con says that if they're not good enough for Spurs they're not good enough for us. Levy is shrewd so they're hardly going to offer us one of their prize assets.

One of the things about Lambert is the atmosphere he generates in the team and the loyalty he gets from the players into him and the club. That is one thing that may persuade the young hungry bunch to hang around a bit longer than 36 weeks.

That is what is so disappointing about benteke for me.

Not the model we are operating,  that is proving successful.  But that Benteke and his agent are operating outside our model and haven't actually bought into it in the way that others no doubt will and have

I believe this was on the cards from the time he walked through our door.....its sometimes the little things that tell you the big things.

not sure he was ever seen in the major footballer shops in brum like Harvey Nicks 

How would you know this though? Also given that he pretty much lives above Harvey Nicks I suspect its likely he's been there, though not sure what this has to do with someone handing in a transfer request.

Disappointed with him but also fair play to him, if he can get 100k a week then he must take advantage of it. He may not have as good a season next year and a footballer is only one game away from a broken leg.

I just hope wherever he goes its a CL side and not Spurs.

The point I was making was that he has never done the things that other signings do naturally.....he has not/ never endeared himself to the city.

I did say " the little things"

"actions speak louder than words"

I can't say how I know.

Think about it.

The only way a player swap deal could work for us is if we had complete freedom to choose any player we wanted.

Or else could be someone like Andros Townsend who clearly has talent - and has the potential to be better than any of their midfielders bar Bale. They might decide they have enough attacking midfielders and will decide to let him go if it gets them Benteke.

If Lerner allows Benteke to leave after just one year into a four year contract then it proves that he has not learnt anything about being a successful owner in the Premier League. After 3 seasons of relegation shit it looked slightly promising but to sell Benteke now would just show that Villa have no ambition and I am glad that after 7 years I have decided not to waste any more money on this club with 2 season tickets costing over £1000. I will put my money to better use in future.

Blip?

This is the business model we wanted. Admittedly we didn't expect it this quickly.

The entire business model is by young, hungry, talented and cheap players. Build them up, if we keep them - great, we build something. If we dont, we either make very little loss because they weren't good enough. Or, we sell them on for huge profits in order to fund the next round of incomings.

£25-30m will fund this summer, January and most of next summers transfer exploits. This is the model working perfectly in action.

I agree with this. The only problem I see with this mentality is that we may never be able to assemble a team capable of challenging for anything because as soon as we have decent players playing for 20k per week other clubs will come in and buy them off us. Then, we go again - as Richard (& Lambert) says!

If Lerner allows Benteke to leave after just one year into a four year contract then it proves that he has not learnt anything about being a successful owner in the Premier League. After 3 seasons of relegation shit it looked slightly promising but to sell Benteke now would just show that Villa have no ambition and I am glad that after 7 years I have decided not to waste any more money on this club with 2 season tickets costing over £1000. I will put my money to better use in future.

What is he supposed to do though? The player doesn't want to be here.

Or else could be someone like Andros Townsend who clearly has talent - and has the potential to be better than any of their midfielders bar Bale. They might decide they have enough attacking midfielders and will decide to let him go if it gets them Benteke.

And we know that for the purpose of the deal they'd stick a £10m tag on Townsend and make it £15m+him. That's the problem with part-exchange deals. It's too easy to pick a high figure for the makeweight just to bring the cash part down. To Spurs' credit, you know they'll come out on top in a transfer deal with most teams. That's reason enough to tell them £25m or nothing.
  • Like 2

What if the player goes on strike as he has done before. Should Lerner still ignore his £25m+ transfer value?

Ireland was one isolated incident. A player with a reputation of being a tool, with pink rimmed Range Rovers and a **** up haircut. There is nothing to learn from the Ireland-transfer, other than doing your due diligence when buying any player. Every manager make bad transfers, from Mourinho to Ferguson and Lambert. You said a few posts up that "if you are not good enough for Tottenham, you are not good enough for Aston Villa". That makes no sense at all, most of their players are too good for us and most of their reserves probably are good enough for our squad as well. Some of the players in their midfield who don't play much, would be absolute stars in our team.

Nonsense.

Ignore the reputation and the "star dust" that playing for Spurs sprinkles over them. Villa are aiming for the league position higher than Spurs. If they don't want a player, we don't want him.

When I use the phrase "star dust" I actually mean "raw sewage."

You could say the same about Man Utd and Chelsea. But in reality , when Lambert sets his targets for the next couple of seasons, it wont be to finish above us. Rebuilding a club takes years. We've finished 31 points ahead of you for the last 2 seasons. Lambert has a big job on his hands and isn't looking for a quick fix. He seems to be trying to implement a sustainable model. Players like Sigurdsson would be one of the best players at West Brom who finished 8th. He was the best player at Swansea and they finished 9th. You can't expect to just go from being a relegation scrapping team to one buying CL standard players and it's totally unrealistic to expect Lambert to consistently find players of that caliber cheaply from the lower leagues and abroad. You need players that can get you into the top half and then look at a top 7 challenge. The likes of Sigurdsson and Townsend are very much in that mold. They are young, fit, talented and work very hard. Townsend is only on £1500 per week!

Once you are established as a top 7 team and are in a stronger financial position, you can look to push on into the top 4 or 5. But the idea that if players aren't good enough for Spurs mean they aren't good enough for Villa just suggests you have unrealistic expectations at the moment. 

• Like 2

If Lerner allows Benteke to leave after just one year into a four year contract then it proves that he has not learnt anything about being a successful owner in the Premier League.

If you think the club would have much choice given the power footballers hold, regardless of contract length, then you are mistaken. This just sounds like you trying to have a pot shot at Lerner at any cost, despite the reality of the situation.
  • Like 2

Think about it.

Right, well you will have to forgive me if I don't take your opinions of players seriously.

If they decide to put him on the swap list, we don't want him. He's not going to be good enough.

If we decide we want him and make it a fundamental condition of the transfer we won't budge from and they only very reluctantly give him up, and Levy's morning coffee tastes bitter when he thinks about it the next day, only then would it be worth the swap.

We don't want anyone they offer. Anyone they offer first is by definition not good enough.

What if the player goes on strike as he has done before. Should Lerner still ignore his £25m+ transfer value?

What if the player goes on strike? Let him go on strike for 3 years with no pay and see how that works!

• Like 2

I still have a small bit of hope that he will still be here come the start of the season.  I just cant see many clubs bidding £30m for him.  Tbf if they do we would be stupid to turn it down.

If we decide we want him and make it a fundamental condition of the transfer we won't budge from and they only very reluctantly give him up, and Levy's morning coffee tastes bitter when he thinks about it the next day, only then would it be worth the swap.

There you go, now you are getting it.

What is he supposed to do though? The player doesn't want to be here.

He could grow some balls and tough it out. I am betting Lerner's pockets are deeper than Benteke's!

Yeah thats right, play him at gun point. Get the highest fee is only thing possible.

And we know that for the purpose of the deal they'd stick a £10m tag on Townsend and make it £15m+him. That's the problem with part-exchange deals. It's too easy to pick a high figure for the makeweight just to bring the cash part down. To Spurs' credit, you know they'll come out on top in a transfer deal with most teams. That's reason enough to tell them £25m or nothing.

Yeah I agree with that BOF, was more a response to the argument that if Spurs were willing to part with a player, that player would be too shit for us - as opposed to how good a deal we'd get.

I think Lambert will be as strong as anyone out there with this deal and won't veer from his plan with loans or swaps for the sake of convenience.

Â