Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Looks good at right back, and it isn't too hard to understand why. He doesn't have the 'marauding' Richards charging up field like a wingercenterback on a mission who thinks it's his job to be superman. Or Okore, who is better positionally than Richards but naive and acts before he thinks (leaving the space again), which meant our right side was slaughtered and Bacuna took the blame as he was covering two positions!

I'll just walk out of this thread now, slowly, with my hands on my hips. Just think of Richards coming back from an attacking position. 

We now have proper centre backs!

Edited by DK82

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wasn't overly impressed. Failed to deliver much quality into the box and his defending was decent at best. 

I agree he's crap, but he is probably the best RB at the club atm, which highlights how weak we are in that position.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Seriously get a grip he was actually good today in my opinion, i think people just like having digs at certain players for sake of it.

He did dome great tackles today,one really crucial one. Im glad he is getting some yellows shows he is putting dome effort in unlike last year. 

He had a decent game. I said as much in the match thread. But you probably saw that. I just think he is a bad player with an even worse attitude and the club would be much better off if he left.

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

He had a decent game. I said as much in the match thread. But you probably saw that. I just think he is a bad player with an even worse attitude and the club would be much better off if he left.

I don't see any attitude problem currently...

• Like 2

He was decent but Derby were crap and didn't attack down that side enough. He was out of position numerous times as he kept drifting into the middle of the park leaving large areas of space for the opposition to run into. Cissohko does it too on the other side and it frustrates the hell out of me.

I played left back back in the day so I have strong opinions on the fullback position. Obviously I'm not claiming to know more than professionals, but we need to be better at keeping our back line in position or teams with effective wide players are going to decimate us on the counter.

19 hours ago, Ginko said:

He was decent but Derby were crap and didn't attack down that side enough. He was out of position numerous times as he kept drifting into the middle of the park leaving large areas of space for the opposition to run into. Cissohko does it too on the other side and it frustrates the hell out of me.

I played left back back in the day so I have strong opinions on the fullback position. Obviously I'm not claiming to know more than professionals, but we need to be better at keeping our back line in position or teams with effective wide players are going to decimate us on the counter.

I think a lot of the time Bacuna and Cissohko are in a decent position but are receiving next to no support from their wide midfielders. The number of times I hear our fans shouting that Bacuna is out of position when he's tucked in to a perfectly normal position for a full back is frustrating. He gives himself plenty of time to get out to the winger if the play is switched and generally does a good job in a 1 vs 1 situation. 

The fact that its being done by both full backs seems to suggest that it's exactly the way that RDM wants them to defend and it doesn't seem to be causing many issues as we have conceded two goals both due to poor goalkeeping kicks.

I hadn't considered it, but the signing of a right back would free up Bacuna as a midfield option again, although another midfielder would be ideal, i hadn't really factored Bacuna into that.

Clean slate for me, he's done ok so far this season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I hadn't considered it, but the signing of a right back would free up Bacuna as a midfield option again, although another midfielder would be ideal

I think we will sign a RB and a midfielder, in which case Bacuna will be struggling to get much game time in my view.

• Like 2

Bacuna should be nowhere near midfield...RB or on the bench.

I know he's a hype job down there due to his Dad but Ince is still seen as one of the better wide players down there and Johnny Russell is a pretty decent wide player at that level.

It's wrong to say Derby had nothing...they'll be challenging for top 6 again which is where they usually finish so if they were quiet it suggests to me the FBs did a good job.

37 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think we will sign a RB and a midfielder, in which case Bacuna will be struggling to get much game time in my view.

We have said this for years and he still gets games. for a player that is always labelled as "backup" option he has played a lot of 1st team games....some would say too many :P

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We have said this for years and he still gets games. for a player that is always labelled as "backup" option he has played a lot of 1st team games....some would say too many :P

I think the club today is very different to the one of the last few years.

• 4 weeks later...

He's a decent player in a number of positions without really being brilliant in one (although he has done well at RB this season). I like having him on the bench because I can see his versatility being pretty useful over the course of a season. Having said that, I'd have no real issue with him starting as he's done pretty well this season so far wherever he's been played.

• Like 1