Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

He can be dangerous, and we need that edge. But where should he play?

He was surprisingly good in that position today, probably because he's reasonably creative and Westwood and Sanchez aren't. Overall I think he should be our RB so that we can have him on the pitch and a slightly better player in midfield. Saying that I like Hutton fine, and he played well at Spurs today I thought.

• Like 2

I have a real soft spot for Bacuna, but am always left with the feeling he's not  quite good enough. I don't think it's his work rate either if he could just be a little more consistent or show marked improvement in defending, or was just a little less lightweight. I always want him to just improve a bit more to get up to scratch but I don't think he will unfortunately - still an ok squad player for the moment.

• Like 1

Just came back on to post about him.

He gets a lot of stick but he comes up with moments of quality which most of our other players (at least the ones starting at the moment!) can't.

Shown tonight with his curler off the post and then his pinpoint ball to Gestede which he somehow headed off target, should have been an assist.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

He gets a lot of stick but he comes up with moments of quality which most of our other players (at least the ones starting at the moment!) can't.

Shown tonight with his curler off the post and then his pinpoint ball to Gestede which he somehow headed off target, should have been an assist.

Absolutely. Unlucky not to score against Southampton too. Bacuna's offensive play(crossing and shooting) reminds me very much of Milner. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 2

He was surprisingly good in that position today, probably because he's reasonably creative and Westwood and Sanchez aren't. Overall I think he should be our RB so that we can have him on the pitch and a slightly better player in midfield. Saying that I like Hutton fine, and he played well at Spurs today I thought.

Bacuna or Hutton.... it's good to have a choice, I think they're both good enough for us at the moment. Hutton's offensive game gets too much flak here I think... anyway, I like Leo, always have.

Bacuna or Hutton.... it's good to have a choice, I think they're both good enough for us at the moment. Hutton's offensive game gets too much flak here I think... anyway, I like Leo, always have.

Agreed. Seeing as buying strikers is a lottery, I'd save the money to put towards an extra striker. We should buy two strikers before we buy a RB.

Absolutely. Unlucky not to score against Southampton too. Bacuna's offensive play(crossing and shooting) reminds me very much of Milner. 

I agree.

I also think think that if this thread ever turns the way the Westwood one did that comparison will be the catalyst.

"James Milner?? Bacuna is barely even a footballer" they'll say.

One of our best players at picking out that killer pass proving that by being our top assister last season. Would pick him over Hutton at right back. Him and Amavi picking out Gestedes head or through balls to Ayew/Sunclair will score goals. Still needs to be coached at defending mind. 

Played well at CM but I would pick Gana, Westwood and Sanchez over him in that position. I also would have him taking corners rather than Westy, they need to be whipped in like young used to.

One of our best players at picking out that killer pass proving that by being our top assister last season. Would pick him over Hutton at right back. Him and Amavi picking out Gestedes head or through balls to Ayew/Sunclair will score goals. Still needs to be coached at defending mind. 

Played well at CM but I would pick Gana, Westwood and Sanchez over him in that position. I also would have him taking corners rather than Westy, they need to be whipped in like young used to.

We say that in theory, but it never really works out like that does it? We end up being frustrated by his deficiencies in other areas, and he sometimes doesn't even pick out a killer pass. I feel like playing Bacuna is a gamble; you never know which Bacuna will show up.

• Like 1

We say that in theory, but it never really works out like that does it? We end up being frustrated by his deficiencies in other areas, and he sometimes doesn't even pick out a killer pass. I feel like playing Bacuna is a gamble; you never know which Bacuna will show up.

Could that be because he doesn't really get a consistent run in his more suited positions?

• Like 1

Could that be because he doesn't really get a consistent run in his more suited positions?

I agree. I mean I love Leo but I feel like when he's not up to speed he's a liability rather than just ineffective, so it's a big risk to take.

I agree. I mean I love Leo but I feel like when he's not up to speed he's a liability rather than just ineffective, so it's a big risk to take.

I agree with that as well. I think he might find himself sitting on the right side of a 3 man attacking midfield under Garde. Possibly sharing the role with Ayew when he isn't up front.