What other clubs do you support?

nepal_villan

1. Villa

2. NE Revs of the MLS - local club for me these last 10-15 yrs

3. None as of now. I've been trying to find a third club to follow, but no one h as stuck for more than a few games, let alone a few seasons. Until then, the half-hearted search continues!

I'm Anglo-American, but have never been able to warm up to US soccer. Dunno why, just haven't.

Cause it's shit? (I genuinely don't know)

I'm Singaporean and I can't bothered in the slightest about the goddamned S-League.

I'm Anglo-American, but have never been able to warm up to US soccer. Dunno why, just haven't.

Cause it's shit? (I genuinely don't know) ...

(Going off topic here.) No, not the case. Honestly, I think it's the cultural context here. There are some good players and interesting clubs, and the MLS has made incredible progress compared to past USA leagues, but "soccer" just isn't given prime space in the national consciousness and it just makes the game and all that goes with it, for me, less compelling. I have friends who support MLS teams and they're as absolutely dedicated as supporters anywhere. But MLS teams are sort of culturally isolated, IMHO. There are vast spaces in the USA where you could go for months without hearing a single thing about an MLS team, even if you were regularly reading the main news.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

Fair enough. Same here in Aussieland, A-League teams don't get a lot of coverage.

Funnily enough, in Singapore the (government-controlled) newspapers always publish full reports on S-League matches, even though hardly anyone gives a **** about the local league.

(Going off topic here.) No, not the case. Honestly, I think it's the cultural context here. There are some good players and interesting clubs, and the MLS has made incredible progress compared to past USA leagues, but "soccer" just isn't given prime space in the national consciousness and it just makes the game and all that goes with it, for me, less compelling. I have friends who support MLS teams and they're as absolutely dedicated as supporters anywhere. But MLS teams are sort of culturally isolated, IMHO. There are vast spaces in the USA where you could go for months without hearing a single thing about an MLS team, even if you were regularly reading the main news.

Time for a Levi Ramsey mini-epic...

Part of that may be because the Krafts don't give a shit about the Revs, but even in Philadelphia, where the Union are the most successful MLS club in terms of local fanbase, I'd still bet on there being more fans of at least Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, and either Arsenal or Man City (and it's perhaps telling that the Union, along with Toronto FC (and the Impact, but they're French, so they don't count for this discussion), don't have the baggage of the MLS's first decade when the focus was on selling the league to soccer moms that the other Eastern MLS clubs do and have focused at some level on developing a more "European" fanbase). As international football has converted non-expats into soccer fans, on the East Coast it's been the PL that has soaked up the interest.

Loads of great points in your excellent post. I live an hour north of Philly, and this summer I saw about three kids wearing Union jerseys. Always white suburban boys (and I'm one myself lol), for whatever reason. But if I add up all the others I saw -- heaps and HEAPS of Barca, Real Madrid, Chivas, América, and a few Chelsea and Man U and, for some reason, Everton shirts -- there's no comparison. The fandom around here is completely diffused with no higher number of MLS fans that I can see. 

I know, I know -- purely empirical, purely anecdotal, etc. I know it's pretty lame, but I think I'd get more excited about the Union if it didn't take 2-3 hours in Philly traffic to travel to a match. So out here in the "hinterlands," I just don't feel "clubbiness" of any sort. Naturally, I find myself reverting to old faves in Blighty. As you suggest, you can practically speaking be "closer" to Birmingham than to many major American cities due to general crap coverage, history, market dynamics, etc. Lots of irony!

Edited by Shifted To Neutral
  • Like 1

What I love about the A League is that it's an even competition. Pretty much any team can win the league any given year (apart from Wellington who are completely crap) and no match is a foregone conclusion. Nowhere near the same quality but at least it is an actual competition.

Maccabi Haifa (Israel) - I am in the process of relocating to Israel for work and Maccabi Haifa will be my local club. Following the team is one of the ways I look forward to connecting with the city. I already have my least favourite club lined up in the unapologetically racist and xenophobic Beitar Jerusalem.

I see you did your homework. Picking the #1 team in Israel for that past 20 years (albeit being a bit behind Maccabi Tel Aviv in recent years) is a sure bet. You could pick Hapoel Haifa - their local rivals. If you appreciate the occasional win - that's the team for you :)

They seemed to me to have the most cosmopolitan fanbase of the teams, as well. I'm really looking forward to the new stadium!

sammyofer_front.jpg

Time for a Levi Ramsey mini-epic...

The time difference really hurts eastern MLS teams. It's completely viable for someone in Boston or Philadelphia or even Chicago to watch nearly all games of their preferred PL club without too much effort (the 7:45 am games are the only problem, but you only have to worry about a couple of those, tops, a season). I'd go all-in on at least three PL clubs (Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd) having more fans within 75 miles of Gillette Stadium than the Revs who play their home games there (and I'd be willing to bet that Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, and maybe Everton?? have more fans, too). Yeah, the only fully-professional club in a catchment area of 6-7 million people might well be the eighth most followed club!

Part of that may be because the Krafts don't give a shit about the Revs,

:(

• Like 2

What I love about the A League is that it's an even competition. Pretty much any team can win the league any given year (apart from Wellington who are completely crap) and no match is a foregone conclusion. Nowhere near the same quality but at least it is an actual competition.

:rant:

You Kiwi?

You Kiwi?

Spent most of my childhood in Wellington so have a soft spot for the Phoenix.

I know we're pretty crap though, but still...  :P

3 games in and its 3 wins, 15 scored and none conceeded for Barry Town (8:0, 3:0, 4:0)

there's nothing like an injustice to fire up a team!

just got to keep that momentum going when they are being kicked off some godforsaken boggy pitch in the semi darkness in November or February

BPxhBcKCMAEfgKu.jpg

I wouldn't say I supported them but I keep an eye on Solihull Moors as they are around the corner from me. Will probably pop down over these next couple of weeks whilst there no villa game

Helps that with my villa ST you get reduced entry aswell  :)

Â