Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

He just doesn't play with his head. If he can't play with his head at the age of 24 then I'm sorry it just ain't gunna happen for him. If he was an 18 year old kid I'd have more patience but he really should be making better decisions when he's on the ball. It's a shame cos he can pick the ball up in some fairly decent positions, but can't resist the atomic. 

I personally would need more than about 6-7 appearences before making such a sweeping conclusion on his ability but that is just me.

He made 17 appearances last season....

Yeah sorry, I meant starts.

• Like 1

I personally would need more than about 6-7 appearences before making such a sweeping conclusion on his ability but that is just me.

He made 17 appearances last season....

Yeah sorry, I meant starts.

Fair enough  :thumb: 

• Like 1

I've not given up on him. In [very brief] flashes, I saw a few things to suggest he can offer something to our squad. He obviously has the pace, is both-footed and is capable of whipping in a decent ball. He just needs to keep it simple really for now.

I think this is a pretty fair summary. 

I'm not really in agreement with loaning him out, I'd have thought we're more likely to be needing him this season than any other (or at any rate, I hope so). 

• Like 1

I think there is a player in their somewhere he is just very raw and ill disciplined in terms of his game and when to do certain things.

I'm not writing him off just yet but think a loan in the Championship might help him.

I've seen nothing from him to suggest that he's even League 2 standard.  Woeful. 

• Like 1

I can't say that I am surprised that he is being moved on. Terrible player and nowhere near the standard required for the premier league. At least he was cheap though and sadly I suspect that's all that really matters for Villa these days.

Usually I would agree but this guy clearly isn't good enough and I really wouldn't want him given a run just to prove what we already know.

He does have pace and there is something about him but honestly we don't have the luxury to wait to see it come out, either sell him or loan him out (in other words let him be someone else's problem).

Let's hope Lambert gives the academy players a go this season instead of going down the cheap gambles route once again.

Only if they're ready to play first team football - it's pointless chucking in a youngster with no experience otherwise.

For all Tonev's faults, he's a Bulgarian international with over 100 games under his belt - no youth player has this and a poor season could see their confidence shot for a long time.

• Like 1

Let's hope Lambert gives the academy players a go this season instead of going down the cheap gambles route once again.

Only if they're ready to play first team football - it's pointless chucking in a youngster with no experience otherwise.

For all Tonev's faults, he's a Bulgarian international with over 100 games under his belt - no youth player has this and a poor season could see their confidence shot for a long time.

We'll never know if they are ready to play first team football unless they are given the chance.

I guess you could argue Lambert can guess about their readyness seeing them at practice, but if you believe the strange rumours in the Karsa/Culverhouse thread he didn't have much to do about training anyway.

15 caps for Bulgaria really isn't an indicator of class even thou he did have a cracking game against Malta this one time

Couldn't disagree anymore with the consensus that he's a terrible player and will never make it. He has every single raw attribute bar height/heading you would want in a player, we're not exactly breaking the bank this summer so I'd put everything into coaching this guy into a PL player.

Whether he's just a squad player, impact sub or turns out POTS - isn't that what football is about; turning potential/average players into successful athletes? If not, mini-Man City we are not!

I think he has some very useful qualities that could make him a very useful player. He has pace, is two-footed and always tries to be positive with his play. His wayward shooting and poor decision making have often been beyond frustrating, but I'm one of those who believes that he's simply trying too hard. There were a couple of moments last season where he placed his shot, rather than just leathering it, and forced some very good saves. I guess the problem is that, in our desperate situation, we can't really afford to give players too much time to settle. We need players that will come into the team and perform almost instantly because we're in no position to experiment, with every single point being so valuable. It's a shame, because I imagined that Tonev would come good for us eventually with more coaching. Maybe a short-term loan might help him settle down.

That's the beauty of signing players like Tonev, they're 'shots to nothing'.

It hasn't come off, he'll move on and we'll only be marginally lighter in the pocket, simples.

Until you start to add up all the costs of those "shots to nothing" and realise that in our financially restricted circumstances, they aren't shots to nothing at all.

£2.5m for Tonev

£2m for Luna

£1m Helenius

£0.5m for Bowery

£2m for Sylla

There's £8m and another £2m in wages pissed right away.  Hardly nothing at all, when you add it all up together.

• Like 2

Â