Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

I must be missing something here. Yes I'll admit he's been poor, but some of the comments are ridiculous - this guy has every raw attribute you need to make it in the PL, therefore (added to the fact we paid for him just 12 months ago) I'd give him time at least this season to try and make an impact. After all, it could save us a little bit of money we don't actually have, and keep vital numbers in the squad.

Sorry if that's too optimistic for the Villa/a Monday morning...

I had this view for the majority of last season, but other than 'raw-ness' and a bit of pace, I didn't see a lot more in him, unfortunately.

I would rather see N'Zogbia, Grealish or Weimann play in Tonev's wide positions this season. For that reason alone, I'd be happy if we managed to ship him out.

I must be missing something here. Yes I'll admit he's been poor, but some of the comments are ridiculous - this guy has every raw attribute you need to make it in the PL, therefore (added to the fact we paid for him just 12 months ago) I'd give him time at least this season to try and make an impact. After all, it could save us a little bit of money we don't actually have, and keep vital numbers in the squad.

Sorry if that's too optimistic for the Villa/a Monday morning...

I had this view for the majority of last season, but other than 'raw-ness' and a bit of pace, I didn't see a lot more in him, unfortunately.

I would rather see N'Zogbia, Grealish or Weimann play in Tonev's wide positions this season. For that reason alone, I'd be happy if we managed to ship him out.

Completely agree re. Zog & Grealish (although the latter may need some time to bed in), but Weimann's performances especially at some away games last season left a lot to be desired - I was praying for Tonev to come on late in games ala Stoke where we were marginally losing to stretch the game and take on tired legs.

I'll admit it never really worked out, but still held hope he would get another chance this season

Edited by MyLord

As Weimann's been here for a long time, I have more patience with him than I do with some of our newer players. 2 seasons ago Weimann was excellent, and even last year when things weren't going his way, he still gave 110%, as we've come to expect from him. Having too many young or 'raw' players in our squad has been our downfall of late, and Tonev is one too many, imo. (And this isn't just me being a typical Monday morning pessimistic Villa fan btw, I'm very optimistic about Villa).

• Like 2

Agreed chaps. Wow, what a civil Monday morning conversation with what seems like level headed Villans, wish you guys were around us in the Holte...

"FORWARD, SHOOT...NO SCORE" Expecting more of the same this season!

I'd be happy with him being loaned to a Championship side. I don't have huge hopes for him, but it's not like we would do much with the money we'd get, so a loan would suit all parties really.

I think there is a player in their somewhere he is just very raw and ill disciplined in terms of his game and when to do certain things.

I'm not writing him off just yet but think a loan in the Championship might help him.

I think there is a player in their somewhere he is just very raw and ill disciplined in terms of his game and when to do certain things.

I'm not writing him off just yet but think a loan in the Championship might help him.

Would agree that maybe some time at a Championship side would help him, unless we have an offer to sell to get back what we paid

Celtic wanted him, Keane and Lambert should be able to flog him there even if its just a loan. Im sure even he could thrive in that league.

I don't think playing in a 5th rate league, where fat ****ers like Kris Commons can score 20 a season would benefit anyone tbh :)

So that's once, twice, three times a maybe?
  • Like 4

tbh, I think he was good when he came last season. Only bad or let's say horrible last decision. I really wanted him to play in pre-season games. I'd rather him playing on the wing than playing Weimann, and even Gabby (in home games).

People seem to only think about his last decision, Which is the case with Weimann too (Especially as a winger).

Most of Weimann's good games came when he was playing behind the striker. 

I'd say that Tonev had couple of good games as against Everton H and Cardiff H.

Even in his last two appreances (Man Utd, Fulham) , He did in 30 mins more than what Weimann did in the last 8 games (other than the Hull game).

He's one of the only players we have that could use technique while running, and he's one of the best crossers (after Marc) Which says he could be the best winger we have atm.

Just a few bad decision made him look bad. I'd rather if Lambert gave him the chance and told him not to shoot. Which he did against Everton and Cardiff.

Anyway if he's moving I wish it would be as a loan. He could boost in the championship. I really have big hopes for him if he upgrade his decision making !

A player so raw with such bad decision making.

It's funny because he clearly backs himself as a player who can make things happen and perhaps he's great in training but in game he simply makes lots of poor decisions and can't back them up. I remember we all wanted Hitz to shoot because he scored or tested the keeper, if Tonev managed to test keepers he's be a lot more effective.

I guess he's been told he's a guy to make an impact and he tries to win games when he can, perhaps he's been left behind to work on X, Y and Z, he's raw but let's hope he's not raw enough to stop learning, he's definitely got a way to go.

I get the impression Lambert told him that he was signed because he can score goals from midfield, amongst other things.

Tonev only remembered the goals from midfield part and feels obliged to try and make it the only aspect of his game.

Failing miserably about 7 or 8 times a game.

I get the impression Lambert told him that he was signed because he can score goals from midfield, amongst other things.

Tonev only remembered the goals from midfield part and feels obliged to try and make it the only aspect of his game.

Failing miserably about 7 or 8 times a game.

I wonder how many times he scores a crazy screamer in training?

I think a lot of players who have a good shot often fall down on their only party trick.

Great players shape to shoot, drawing defenders to dive at them, and make space for other players and pass it.

Lampard was great at this, as well as shooting of course, but the amount of times he dummied the shot and played a simple pass to start a move or get an assist, made him a great player.

hashtag awareness, or something similar.

• Like 1

Was so hopeful for this guy. Maybe we expected to much of him coming from a weaker league. As someone said i think a year on a loan somewhere will do him a world of good. If it doesnt just get rid of him, as he is now hes pretty useless

I've not given up on him. In [very brief] flashes, I saw a few things to suggest he can offer something to our squad. He obviously has the pace, is both-footed and is capable of whipping in a decent ball. He just needs to keep it simple really for now.

Â