Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

Played better tonight, had a good shot saved by Friedel and passed the ball less nervously... Showed sparkles of what he can do! I'm not saying he was amazing or terrible... But he has potential!

Put in a peach of a cross in the first half - showed glimpses of being half decent. 

I thought he looked better tonight (of course he would have been hard-pressed to look much worse ;) ). I think he's better suited to the wing. He did well to bounce back after that performance on Saturday. Little glimmers, definitely not the finished article yet but good potential there I think.

There's some talent on the ball in there and he's quite pacy - he should be playing in the reserves for a few games to see if he can figure out what he's supposed to do with that talent and pace. I worry that he'll put one of those thirty yarders into the back of the net and people will think he's played well.

• Like 1

Needs to continue on the left wing. Beat Walker a few times and pushed play out wide, clearly suits the role better than through the middle.

Agree with this.

Agreed. That was where he played in the german pre season game as well where he looked good.

For whatever reason I am increasingly optimistic about Tonev. Irrational I know but I just get that sense of a player who can spark something. I was excited to see him starting today and I enjoyed seeing him play.

Needs to continue on the left wing. Beat Walker a few times and pushed play out wide, clearly suits the role better than through the middle.

Agree with this.

Agreed. That was where he played in the german pre season game as well where he looked good.

For whatever reason I am increasingly optimistic about Tonev. Irrational I know but I just get that sense of a player who can spark something. I was excited to see him starting today and I enjoyed seeing him play.

I think he will come good but we won't see a change until Feb-March.

What I like best about him is that he is an attacking player,no back and sideways passes from him.

This. He looks more like a winger though. But we need players like this. Hope he bangs in a goal soon so he gets some confidence back.

Might it be worth playing him on both sides, ie starting something like this:

---------------Kozak---------------

---------------Tonev---------------

------------Agbonlahor-----------

------Delph---Sylla---Westwood

and having him play on whichever flank, whenever, fluidly moving across the pitch. Technically, you've got less width that way, but Gabby is capable of taking up the other side

Agree that should be looked but not this Sat, City full-backs as shown against United will punish that space if not tracked.

Aye definitely. Personally, like I've touched upon in another thread today, I'd actually go a little bit outside the box on Saturday and play:

------------Kozak------------

Bennett--------------Lowton

-Delph--Sylla--Westwood-

Luna--Baker--Vlaar--Bacuna

-----------Guzan-------------

Â