Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

Listen, this lad was always going to take time. It was clear from his initial training performances the speed of the game was much faster than he was used to but that was to be expected coming from where he did. When Petrov left Bulgaria he was miles off it for his first year in Glasgow - did not so bad after that! Some players take longer than others to adapt. He will get better and better. Lowton was pants in his first five months at the club and so was Westwood. Agree????

Tonev starting tonight and whether he performs well or not it will be another step in the right direction for him. Judge him come the end of the season not now!

No.

Westwood was slaughtered after playing the 2nd half at Southampton when the entire team capitulated. His performances when he got his first run in the team were his best in a Villa shirt though in my opinion. Especially Sunderland, Man Utd and Arsenal.

Westwood began with two sub-appearances against Swansea and Southampton before not featuring again until his first start at Sunderland. So are you saying he 'wasn't great to begin with' on the basis of two sub appearances?

Posted this in the match thread

Tonev has hardly played for us.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that he takes a couple of months to settle and that his performances improve from around December onwards!

I'd also imagine that if Stan were around that may help him setlle

Cant believe the stick Tonev gets

• Like 2

I think the point people are making is that Westwood whilst possibly naive and ineffective was not a catastrophe like Tonev was on Saturday. In reality he'll probably never play that badly again so we can afford him an opportunity to have another crack. You can't judge a player on one game so people should calm down and trust the manager and his staff know what Tonev is all about.

Still would have preferred to see Grealish getting the chance Tonev is getting but that is another story.

Edited by AndyClarke
  • Like 1

Also, I wasn't relating my argument to Tonev. Writing any player off after one start is silly.

I just disagreed with HH's initial statement as I don't think either Lowton or Westwood were bad during there initial runs in the team.

Let it go for now at least, some of the things said here is just unnecessary whining and hatred. In that regard you come across as bad as a pool supporter, do you want to be that? Tension can be high in a match but he is still new here. We don`t know how it will go, so far we can agree that the signs are not good, but he needs and deserves more time. If you get on the back on him in matches there is a bigger chance he will fail, or leave if he starts to perform. 

• Like 1

If he's good enough for Stan Petrov and Paul Lambert he's good enough for me.

Bennett and Bowery were good enough for Lambert, but they will never, ever be good enough for the Premier League.

• Like 1

Saturday was just embarrasing, truly one of the worst performances I have ever seen.

BUT

presumably the reason he took so many shots is because he does have decent shooting ability and usually hits the target (or close). If he hits the target with even half of his efforts on Saturday and forces the keeper into a save then his performance suddenly takes on a different complextion. Even still, he needs to grow up and learn when to pass, and he needs to stop going purely for power at the expense of accuracy.

He may turn out OKish but he has a long way to go. 

Â