Serious incident in Woolwich

The_Rev

There must be a way of getting rid of these scumbags to make it look like an accident. 

Yeah, a guard says, "He attacked me, so I killed him" 

Unless every possible angle inside a UK prison is covered by camera

Why would you give the death penalty to somebody who wants to be a martyr though?  You punish those guys by sending them to prison for a very long time so when they do finally snuff it they go old, alone and forgotten.

Thats true he would become a martyr and they would use it against us but on the other-hand 45 years in jail cost us taxpayers a lot of money.

Justice appears to have been done, but yet I read a case today where a man with Asperger's was killed with one punch and the bloke has got 4 years. Nothing to do with the differences in publicity I hope.

Nope, everything to do with intent I would imagine. Classic case of manslaughter I expect.

on the other-hand 45 years in jail cost us taxpayers a lot of money.

Personally, I couldn't give a shit about the cost, they deserve to rot for the rest of their life.

Why should two people, who have not only committed murder, but have also caused huge traumatic experiences, for not just family members but for people who witnessed too, get the mercy of a quick death? The death penalty is much more than they deserve, the best punishment for stuff like this is to just let them rot and stew over what they've done, let them deal with their own psychological damage for the rest of their live, not give them a quick out and the chance to be revered by other fundamentalists.

Well i assume that would have been manslaughter rather than terrorism or murder? Very different.

Yeah I appreciate the difference. My comment was simply a reflection of in one case - intent to cause serious harm with the end result being death, the other intent to cause death resulting in death. In one case a fella with be out in two years (half sentence all that caper) and the other will never be out. The end result for the victim and respective family is the same. I'm not saying either way is right, but I feel there is a gap there.

I wonder how many people from where the killers lived approved of what they did. I read an interview with the primary killer's brother, and he basically said his actions were justified...I wonder in some of these isolated council estates, if contempt for secular Britain is a prevailing attitude...

The second guy will be out in his 60's. He'll have another 20 years, give or take, of total freedom.

even if he did get out

even if they gave him a new identity

even with his £47 release grant

even with social or sheltered housing

his life will be an institutionalised pointless wreck

let him have his twenty years of total freedom bumping along the bottom with his crappy prison health

those twenty years might just really really show him what he's missed out on living

I think we get the punishment in these type of cases just about right the vast majority of the time.

• Like 2

The second guy will be out in his 60's. He'll have another 20 years, give or take, of total freedom.

You are kidding aren't you. I think you buy into the whole idea of prison being a holiday camp myth

You are kidding aren't you. I think you buy into the whole idea of prison being a holiday camp myth

Have you read any of my other posts on the thread today?

The 'cost' argument is a load of shite. The prison population is around 90k, which is roughly SodAll% of the actual population (stats from England).

The overall cost is minimal in the grand scheme of things.

This is ignoring the counter-argument of cost of appeals and the cost of having them in prison until they're killed etc.

If people want kangaroo courts and a swift hanging then go and live in North Korea.

• Like 1

Sentences seem fair. And also its 45 years before eligible for parole isn't it? Which as per normal and as is bizarrely frequently glossed over does not equate to being set free. Wouldn't have objected to life for both but still, not a lenient sentence imo.

• Like 2

Did I mention my ex was there that day and walked out onto the road just after it happened? He refused to go into detail even months after so yeah....it effects lots of people. Glad they get to rot the rest of their lives!

I think its meant to be reflecting on post prison he gets 20 years of freedom, not in prison, upon release.

Â