• Lichaj
    • Baker
    • Westwood
    • Delph
    • Sylla
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Weimann

Terry's reaction to that "savage kung fu kick" just sums up for me what a horrible human being he appears to be both on & off the pitch. **** weasel.

Then again, I guess he aint the only one.

I think, judging by people's posts so far that most feel he should have gone for the elbow in the first half, but in the end was a touch unfortunate to be given a 2nd yellow for the high boot.

So lucky, but in the end, unlucky.

Are people saying Benteke didnt deserve to be sent off??????

He could easily have gone for the forearm smash

The ref I think then levelled up the Ramires red which was harsh

The ref lost it from the moment he gave Baker a yellow for what was a fantastic tackle. The refs head went at that point

Its the inconsistencies of refs that is annoying. In another game today I saw worse high challenges and no bookings were made. Refs should try and keep players on the pitch wherever possible and the 2nd booking was harsh so shouldn't have been really.

Only Aston Villa could go off at half time with a 1-0 lead against 10 men and end up losing 1-2 with 10 men.

Referee was looking for an excuse to send off one of our players to "balance" the teams, there's no way we would've finished with 11 players on the pitch.

This is so true. You can guarantee the ref would have been told about Benteke's elbow at half time. The sensible thing for Lambert to do would have been to take Benteke off at HT because as soon as he breathed on a Chelsea player, he was going to get a second yellow.

The second yellow Ramires and Benteke both received were poor decisions.

Only Aston Villa could go off at half time with a 1-0 lead against 10 men and end up losing 1-2 with 10 men.

Referee was looking for an excuse to send off one of our players to "balance" the teams, there's no way we would've finished with 11 players on the pitch.

This is so true. You can guarantee the ref would have been told about Benteke's elbow at half time. The sensible thing for Lambert to do would have been to take Benteke off at HT because as soon as he breathed on a Chelsea player, he was going to get a second yellow.

The second yellow Ramires and Benteke both received were poor decisions.

It would have been worth it just to see the meltdown on this site.

Are people saying Benteke didnt deserve to be sent off??????

I don't think so.

A lot of people are saying the second yellow was soft (which it was) but by the letter of the law is probably correct,

But I think the majority are agreeing that he was lucky not to be sent off for the first incident (although I was oblivious of this at the time)

If you watch the replay of the first yellow, you can see a bit of intent running through Benteke's face as he drives his elbow back into the Chelsea player. He was lucky not to see red, and the second was a no brainer, despite the lack of intent.

Benteke should have been sent off for the elbow. I don't like players using their elbows like that, hope he sorts it out. 

It's slightly worrying as he could have been sent off against Norwich too. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Benteke should have been sent off for the elbow. I don't like players using their elbows like that, hope he sorts it out. 

Yeah, this worries me too. I am putting it down to youthful exuberance and inexperience because I don't think he's a dirty player, but he does seem a bit of a hothead at times (Norwich). I'd like to see him improve on that next season, provided we hang onto him.

Special mentions in this match to the midfield three, they were all brilliant. Especially Sylla who is starting to look a bit more adventurous going forward.

As for Benteke. It was a yellow card for sure. He was lucky after using his elbows in the first half, could of been a straight red.

The annoying thing with this was that we were a man up, there was no need to go in for challenges like that, we had an extra man in midfield to steal possession so who cares if chelsea won the aerial ball?

If he would of stayed on the pitch we could of picked up 3 points quite easily.

Anyway, on to Wigan. I think without Benteke we have the firepower to beat them with an on form Gabby, Andi can always pop up with a goal too. I would like to see N'zogbia come in for the last match.

I agree with you and think this is an interesting thing that's developing.

I think it's largely to do with him being new to the intensity of the Premier League.

The better he's been playing, the more attention from the media he's received and with that raising profile defenders will single him out more.

I think they do target him now with an added bite above just competitively. Dirty tricks and wind ups will have been utilized on him and I think it's at a higher level than he's been used to and it's had an effect.

I think it's a relatively new part of his learning curve both for us and internationally.

Like I say, I imagine he would have received behaviour of this nature throughout his career but now he's being targeted to a bigger degree than he's been used to and now he's learning to combat that and build the temperament for it, with Lambert and Wilmot's guidance

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

Just saw the "Sylla through on goal" when tackled by John Terry. Well, Mr. Lambert, I don't share your opinion of that being a clear opportunity to score and a red card. A few players who could definitely race him up and tackle before he gets to that point - so all in all a yellow card is correct in my opinion. If a ref is to give a red card there can be no doubt in his mind that the player will get to the ball first, control it and then get a shot on goal that will trouble the keeper. It was a close situation and impossible to tell, so no hard done for me.

The Ramires red is OK, he goes in clumsy twice in a matter of seconds and his foot it way too high when he is knowingly tackling another player. Same for Benteke, just clumsy and an OK yellow card, unfortunately. The players know very well that a high foot warrants a yellow card, so why does two players do it in a matter of 20 minutes? Strange...

The ref seemed to Lose the plot from the second minute when he booked Baker for making a tremendous tackle

Spoilt the game Mason did

Agree with you. Pretty poorly reffed game.

Don't agree with Baker's first one, that was just a solid tackle. 

Benteke was lucky not to see red with the elbow.

Terry should have got his second yellow for throwing his hand into Weimann's face and eyes.

Just saw the "Sylla through on goal" when tackled by John Terry. Well, Mr. Lambert, I don't share your opinion of that being a clear opportunity to score and a red card. A few players who could definitely race him up and tackle before he gets to that point - so all in all a yellow card is correct in my opinion. If a ref is to give a red card there can be no doubt in his mind that the player will get to the ball first, control it and then get a shot on goal that will trouble the keeper. It was a close situation and impossible to tell, so no hard done for me.

The Ramires red is OK, he goes in clumsy twice in a matter of seconds and his foot it way too high when he is knowingly tackling another player. Same for Benteke, just clumsy and an OK yellow card, unfortunately. The players know very well that a high foot warrants a yellow card, so why does two players do it in a matter of 20 minutes? Strange...

The defence for Benteke is he didn't know Terry was there, whereas Ramires obviously knew he was challenging Gabby with a high foot.

There's nothing wrong with a high foot if there's no-one challenging you.

Now you could say Benteke should have known that someone would be challenging with him in that situation, and you'd be right. That's a bit of naivety. But if you're asking why he did it, then hat would be your answer.

Â