I have a confession to make.....

Houlston

Not yet!  Wine for now.  It's a massive thing for someone to declare they're suffering with anxiety or depression, let alone in a public forum.  There are a few folks on VT who helped me massively when I was absolutely kippered.  We're a good bunch on the whole really.

• Like 4

Not yet!  Wine for now.  It's a massive thing for someone to declare they're suffering with anxiety or depression, let alone in a public forum.  There are a few folks on VT who helped me massively when I was absolutely kippered.  We're a good bunch on the whole really.

Oh yeah. I've dealt with my own demons in that very field. It's so tough talking about it. Easier on here though because no face-to-face interaction but people still know you.

It's part of me at the moment whether I like it or not just don't feel like there should be a stigma attached to it. Why should it be any different than saying 'I have a migraine'. To be honest I find it more awkward for the other person rather than myself if I discuss it, so I choose not to for that reason.

It doesn't affect me too badly in everyday situations. I absolutely love my job and the kids cheer me up everyday without fail.

I think it's why I'm fine when I'm at school full time. I'm

1) too busy to think

2) constantly cheered up in 1 way or another. I mean the tiniest things are great. Be it going out on break duty and being asked to teach them a game because 'your games are always so fun! or being pestered what character I'm coming as to world book day or (last one I promise) getting called 'miss' every bloody time by children who seem to have no concept that 'miss' means a woman (because they have only ever had female teachers). These happen every single day so it's impossible not to love it.

3) I go to bed really early because I have to get up so early.

Whereas at uni (which is completely finished now), I'm sat in mind numbing lectures letting my mind race and not there full time.

I'm full time at school teaching 60%-80% so hopefully my anxiety will hold off.

And you know what? I don't think the counsellor said more than a few words every time. And I now have control again.....for ood, hopefully.

Interestingly, mine said quite a lot (questioning stuff rather than directional) which would reinforce that it may well be a very good course of action for people in different circumstances with different minds.

How much was the counselling? Is there anyone in Birmingham you can recommend to me? Feel free to PM me

Not sure about up in Brum. I'm in Cornwall, but I just had a meltdown at the doctors and he referred me to a free counselling service. It works like your samaritans, crisis teams and other mental health orgs.