I have a confession to make.....

Houlston

And you know what? I don't think the counsellor said more than a few words every time. And I now have control again.....for ood, hopefully.

Interestingly, mine said quite a lot (questioning stuff rather than directional) which would reinforce that it may well be a very good course of action for people in different circumstances with different minds.

Totally agree. Its something I personally should have done a lot sooner because it works.

Thanks. Hopefully it is in the evenings because I don't want it to clash with work.

Probably not.

The form, I think, is that your GP will refer you to a gateway worker who will then refer you to (hopefully) the most useful service.

If my experience (i.e. that of Worcestershire) is representative then it'll be a certain amount of sessions done in working hours (the therapists/counsellors are working people).

Free through the NHS. Just write a letter to your GP.

Wow britains healthcare system seems so nice.

It's not perfect. I was referred in December and am still waiting to be seen.

Just takes time. I was referred early November and had counselling for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I'm a bit nervous about it all though, I'm willing to be patient about it, but it's the worry that if this doesn't help then what will? Most people seem to have positive experiences through therapy/counselling though, hopefully it's the same for me.

I lost my job in january. For the next two weeks after that (it came completely out of the blue) I was really bad. Upset, angry, confused, bitter and I didn't trust anyone. But I'm generally quite an optimistic person and I've gotten myself out of it. But I was completely aware that I was depressed. And I feel for the people whom it becomes everyday life for. Not nice at all.

I think in this day in age, with the pressures of having to work, having direct debits, mortgages, loans, education and being constantly told to 'future proof' yourself, the system doesn't give us qny time to slow down and take stock of whether we as individuals are happy.

And due to technology we're living increasingly individual lifes and we cant escape work because we all get emails and texts and called wherever we are.

And then we get a paltry 28 days holiday a year... thanks lol.

I totally get why people get depressed. It's **** easy to this day in age.

• Like 2

Free through the NHS. Just write a letter to your GP.

Wow britains healthcare system seems so nice.

I assumed you lived in Blackburn. No? 

I'd be interested to know if there is any significant correlation between depression/anxiety and recreational drug use. 

No, the US. 

Now I'm confused. Do you mean yourself, or Rovers13? 

I'd be interested to know if there is any significant correlation between depression/anxiety and recreational drug use. 

No, the US. 

Rovers13. 

I'm fairly sure my anxiety was caused by some recreational drug use.

Also when I've been drinking quite heavily, the next morning I'll get pretty bad anxiety.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

It's interesting to note how people actually suffer with some form of anxiety or depression.

I know about the 1 in 4 figure but it's hard to quantify stats. It's comforting to know there's plenty of people to talk to. I'm glad that the stigma has been well and truly breached on here.

Any such correllation would only highlight that people turn to drink or drugs when they feel like shit, which is no surprise.

If the insinuation is that drug use causes depression, then I'll have to disagree there*, as it ignores what leads people to drink/drugs in the first place.

*Although it undoubtedly creates a chemical imbalance which may manifest itself in various ways. However you could find links to many things, e.g. does watching TV all day cause depression? Does eating fast food cause depression?

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

It's totally unscientific, but I have been quite shocked by some of the tales of excessive drinking and drugging on VT. I haven't attempted to match names to the posters who have mental health worries, but I just wonder. 

I mean, I used to smoke a bit of dope in my youth, and I thought I liked a drink. But compared to some of you guys I was virtually teetotal. And I definitely perceive a higher incidence of mental health issues among the younger generation than in my contemporaries. 

Maybe it's just that there are different stress factors around nowadays, I dunno. 

No, the US. 

Rovers13. 

I'm fairly sure my anxiety was caused by some recreational drug use.

Also when I've been drinking quite heavily, the next morning I'll get pretty bad anxiety.

First proper panic attack happened on a monumental whisky hangover. I thought I was having a heart attack!

Hangovers really do have a lot of added spice to them when you're fighting anxiety!

Any such correllation would only highlight that people turn to drink or drugs when they feel like shit, which is no surprise.

If the insinuation is that drug use causes depression, then I'll have to disagree there, as it ignores what leads people to drink/drugs in the first place.

I agree, but I still think it may be a two-way street. Chicken/egg. 

I can suffer from anxiety when I have a lot of free time (like I have recently). It's strange because there is absolutely no reason for it at all really. I can have times where I feel like I have butterflies in my stomach, can feel quite shaky and hyper-sensitive both emotionally and physically. But there doesn't seem to be any reason for it and like I say it's only really when I have nothing on and I'm alone. I'm not great at being alone at the best of times and I end up really craving company.

Funny that someone mentioned alcohol as well. I have awful anxiety when I'm hungover. So bad in fact that I rarely get drunk anymore simply because the way I can feel sometimes when I'm hungover is too much to bear. I gather 'the fear' is quite common with a hangover but I can't stand it.

Health anxiety + hangover = AHHHHHHHHHHH

It's almost as if I forget what being hungover does to my body and presume I'm dying.

Mooney, re: the drinking. I had no anxiety when I used to drink a lot (at uni) and I rarely drink now and it's worse than ever. I guess everybody is different.