I have a confession to make.....

Houlston

I have only the vaguest notion of who Taylor Swift is. 

Some American girl singer (pop/country?), apparently good looking. 

I wouldn't recognise her by picture or sound though. 

Shit Sam. As others have said I'd go and get help. Serious stuff, and hopefully you'll find a way to fight through it and come through this darkest of dark patches mate.

Good luck to you though. :thumb:

• Like 1

I don't think this generation suffer slightly more depression and anxiety than perhaps say 50 years ago. However, now, I think people are more willing to admit that they are depressed or anxious and more likely to seek help so it's a more visible problem. 

Depression and anxiety are a taboo for many of the older generation that I speak to. There's a 'pull your socks up and get on with it' attitude, which will help some people and not help others. 

Shit Sam. As others have said I'd go and get help. Serious stuff, and hopefully you'll find a way to fight through it and come through this darkest of dark patches mate.

Cheers Andy and of course you all.

At the moment I'm fine...haven't drunk a drop since last night. 

It's not the drink that gets me going. It can be, but most often than no it's when I get home from work and stick the kettle on. I'll have been stood there looking out the window for ten minutes or something. Then, when I pull myself out of it I'll start tearing up. When I get a few cans down me I'll be on top form, making girls laugh sometimes taking them home. It's the drinking that takes me to a safer place. 

I'm the guy that makes everyone laugh. That's not to say I think I'm hilarious, it just works that way. I'll try and make everyone laugh and it usually ends up where we're all in a bar and after about an hour or so a few other tables have joined us an I'm there holding court...it's then that I feel most comfortable and less suicidal. Last Wednesday, when I stood at the end of the pier it was after a stroll after work. I don't really know how I got there. I have these ten minute blank-outs where I just discover myself somewhere. The past two times it's been looking at the water at the end of the port. It's these moments that scare the shit out of me.

It's the odd little things that get to me as well. I went to collect a few things from my old place and I asked permission to enter the house. Ringing the bell when I've got the keys in my hand, to be let into my old place...

I dunno guys, hopefully I'll sort it out soon. There's no cheap option here to speak to people, and most of the friends I made here were through my wife, so they've slowly trickled away. Building up a new life with friends is difficult.

definitely understand how drink takes you to a happier place but its living life sober that's the struggle. alcohol is great for making you feel at ease with everything, just watch alcohol don't become your next problem

I've thought about it a lot, and while there are many, many factors, a major one I think (among the youths it is most apparent) is aimlessness.

I think society has become increasingly fractured, self-centred, and there are too many people who live outside a system that cuts people off rather brutally rather than ensuring everyone feels part of something. I think t'internet provides a platform for people to be social and talk to others and it goes a long way but it is a confined world, that you have control over, which bares little relation to 'the real world' (although, this is increasingly less the case, as the lines between are blurred). We are social creatures, don't forget. That doesn't mean going out and getting pissed at weekends, it means we need each other, to achieve things and fulfill basic, fundamental needs.

Added to that, there is unemployment, which is a huge problem that gets papered over by too many. People like to feel useful, and that they are doing something that contributes toward their own goals or society's. Too many people have been cut adrift from that before they had a chance to get on a ladder. As a result you have millions of 18-25 year olds around the world who, quite simply, have nothing to do. I think that wears people down over time, and it is a disgrace that we have don't pressure governments to provide more jobs, which they could so easily do.

This is strictly from my experience. I can't speak for older people.

I can completely relate to this.

A post earlier mentioned that people on this forum in their early 20's are feeling old, I am 24 and I have to agree with this too. I suppose when I was growing up I expected to have a good job and not be living at home by now so I feel like I am behind in my life plans.

At the moment I am looking for work that will give me a future so hopefully in a few years I can move out and just get on with my life. My previous job was in a retail, which offers me no future so I left last year in order to do a couple of other things, travel etc and then focus on getting a decent career job very much aware I would have to work my way up from the bottom and that the pay is highly likely to be less than my previous job, which in itself is a problem. I have been looking for work since November now and have had zero success, I have A levels and more specifically ones in IT and Business as I am looking for anything that will get me office experience as I don't have any. Jobs like Data Entry, Admin, etc but 99% of the employers ask for experience and I just do not have that, the ones that don't ask for it will still have 100+ applicants, my chances are slim to say the least. Even call center work want experience!

So where does this leave me? Well the last few months have taught me that my education was mostly a waste of time. GSCEs take you to A levels and that takes you onto Uni and there are tons of Uni degrees that are not worth much in the real world so you really have to do something worthwhile and know where you want to go long term. Experience/Networking is key in this day and age, so many of my friends have jobs through people they know. My qualifications haven't prepared me for any job what they prepared me for was further education, to an employer I am not an appealing candidate and lots of them don't want to spend time training people up they want someone that can do the job straight away.

Having now realised all of this I have the option of accepting the situation and going back to a job that offers no future or doing something about it. I am likely going to be doing a course next year that will train me to for specific roles that have the potential to progress in the future. To me this is a bit annoying as it is at least another year out of my life spent on learning and not on earning, could be a bad way to look at it but I cant help the way I see it. I feel like I wont be able to start my life until I am 26/27.

The word aimlessness is definitely how I have felt even when I used to have a job in retail, I should have left that job a long time ago but I was in a comfort zone earning money and not having any outgoings without worrying about the future. In terms of anxiety and depression it is hard to tell where I stand on that. Am I depressed? I don't think so. Am I unhappy? Yes, but what is the difference between the two? I see people moan about having work on a Monday morning but I will tell you now it is 10x as hard not having a job, or even having a reason, to get out of bed for. I have suffered slightly from anxiety at times, it has kind of been made slightly worse by me spending a lot of time over the past few months indoors and being bored, not socializing with people and stuff like that. I worry about stuff a lot more now, Mooney said about people worrying about death and that is something I have always had problems with ever since I was a kid and it occurs a lot more now I have so much time to think about things. Worrying about where I will be in 10 years, where my family will be etc.

There's probably a lot of stuff I left out there that I could go into but I just wanted to back up the post I quoted because it really rang true with me. Im not sure how this post will come across as it is probably more of a rant than anything!

It's not the drink that gets me going. It can be, but most often than no it's when I get home from work and stick the kettle on. I'll have been stood there looking out the window for ten minutes or something. Then, when I pull myself out of it I'll start tearing up. When I get a few cans down me I'll be on top form, making girls laugh sometimes taking them home. It's the drinking that takes me to a safer place. 

I'm the guy that makes everyone laugh. That's not to say I think I'm hilarious, it just works that way. I'll try and make everyone laugh and it usually ends up where we're all in a bar and after about an hour or so a few other tables have joined us an I'm there holding court...it's then that I feel most comfortable and less suicidal. Last Wednesday, when I stood at the end of the pier it was after a stroll after work. I don't really know how I got there. I have these ten minute blank-outs where I just discover myself somewhere. The past two times it's been looking at the water at the end of the port. It's these moments that scare the shit out of me.

It's the odd little things that get to me as well. I went to collect a few things from my old place and I asked permission to enter the house. Ringing the bell when I've got the keys in my hand, to be let into my old place...

I dunno guys, hopefully I'll sort it out soon. There's no cheap option here to speak to people, and most of the friends I made here were through my wife, so they've slowly trickled away. Building up a new life with friends is difficult.

Sounds similar to when I got into a mess.  When through a break up at the end of a 7 year relationship and moved from one foreign country to another.

It was a torrid time, but you'll get through it.  Get the help you need though.  There's no shame in not being able to go it alone.

Try these guys, you can even give them a call...  http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/

I've thought about it a lot, and while there are many, many factors, a major one I think (among the youths it is most apparent) is aimlessness.

I think society has become increasingly fractured, self-centred, and there are too many people who live outside a system that cuts people off rather brutally rather than ensuring everyone feels part of something. I think t'internet provides a platform for people to be social and talk to others and it goes a long way but it is a confined world, that you have control over, which bares little relation to 'the real world' (although, this is increasingly less the case, as the lines between are blurred). We are social creatures, don't forget. That doesn't mean going out and getting pissed at weekends, it means we need each other, to achieve things and fulfill basic, fundamental needs.

Added to that, there is unemployment, which is a huge problem that gets papered over by too many. People like to feel useful, and that they are doing something that contributes toward their own goals or society's. Too many people have been cut adrift from that before they had a chance to get on a ladder. As a result you have millions of 18-25 year olds around the world who, quite simply, have nothing to do. I think that wears people down over time, and it is a disgrace that we have don't pressure governments to provide more jobs, which they could so easily do.

This is strictly from my experience. I can't speak for older people.

I can completely relate to this.

A post earlier mentioned that people on this forum in their early 20's are feeling old, I am 24 and I have to agree with this too. I suppose when I was growing up I expected to have a good job and not be living at home by now so I feel like I am behind in my life plans.

At the moment I am looking for work that will give me a future so hopefully in a few years I can move out and just get on with my life. My previous job was in a retail, which offers me no future so I left last year in order to do a couple of other things, travel etc and then focus on getting a decent career job very much aware I would have to work my way up from the bottom and that the pay is highly likely to be less than my previous job, which in itself is a problem. I have been looking for work since November now and have had zero success, I have A levels and more specifically ones in IT and Business as I am looking for anything that will get me office experience as I don't have any. Jobs like Data Entry, Admin, etc but 99% of the employers ask for experience and I just do not have that, the ones that don't ask for it will still have 100+ applicants, my chances are slim to say the least. Even call center work want experience!

So where does this leave me? Well the last few months have taught me that my education was mostly a waste of time. GSCEs take you to A levels and that takes you onto Uni and there are tons of Uni degrees that are not worth much in the real world so you really have to do something worthwhile and know where you want to go long term. Experience/Networking is key in this day and age, so many of my friends have jobs through people they know. My qualifications haven't prepared me for any job what they prepared me for was further education, to an employer I am not an appealing candidate and lots of them don't want to spend time training people up they want someone that can do the job straight away.

Having now realised all of this I have the option of accepting the situation and going back to a job that offers no future or doing something about it. I am likely going to be doing a course next year that will train me to for specific roles that have the potential to progress in the future. To me this is a bit annoying as it is at least another year out of my life spent on learning and not on earning, could be a bad way to look at it but I cant help the way I see it. I feel like I wont be able to start my life until I am 26/27.

The word aimlessness is definitely how I have felt even when I used to have a job in retail, I should have left that job a long time ago but I was in a comfort zone earning money and not having any outgoings without worrying about the future. In terms of anxiety and depression it is hard to tell where I stand on that. Am I depressed? I don't think so. Am I unhappy? Yes, but what is the difference between the two? I see people moan about having work on a Monday morning but I will tell you now it is 10x as hard not having a job, or even having a reason, to get out of bed for. I have suffered slightly from anxiety at times, it has kind of been made slightly worse by me spending a lot of time over the past few months indoors and being bored, not socializing with people and stuff like that. I worry about stuff a lot more now, Mooney said about people worrying about death and that is something I have always had problems with ever since I was a kid and it occurs a lot more now I have so much time to think about things. Worrying about where I will be in 10 years, where my family will be etc.

There's probably a lot of stuff I left out there that I could go into but I just wanted to back up the post I quoted because it really rang true with me. Im not sure how this post will come across as it is probably more of a rant than anything!

life does seem like one long struggle at times and also very pointless. may I also had that the cost of living is ridiculious

A friend of mine was in a similar situation going to agencies who weren't interested as he had no office experience. He used one of my work references (a place he'd never set foot in) and got a job through it. They don't check references half the time for basic admin roles. Just make up a reference or say your retail job involved a lot of computer/phone work.

• Like 1

Certainly of my generation, we were all pretty much told, go to school and do well and you'll get a great job and be really happy. Not true.

There are young, intelligent, capable people with devalued degrees working in Tesco because the avenue of work they are perusing is so competitive and they don't stand out. 

You have to be a 'go getter', getting places can be a real grind. Which is how it is always been I suspect, but not how we were told it was going to be and many people are not prepared for it. 

Making new friends will be the most important thing really. Once you've got friends around you you should be able to improve a bit. Not going to be easy though, just gonna have to keep going and enjoy the good days more and try and make the bad days less frequent.

If you want to PM at all you're more than welcome mate

• Like 1