I have a confession to make.....

Houlston

That all rings true, CED. Although I was unemployed for quite a time in the late 70s - it did get me down, but friendships did get me through it. Of course, this was pre-internet, so friendships actually meant getting out and meeting people. I think if I'd been able to stay indoors and online it wouldn't have done me much good. 

It can be quite difficult to have a social life that doesn't involve getting wrecked, especially these days it would seem. 

I've thought about it a lot, and while there are many, many factors, a major one I think (among the youths it is most apparent) is aimlessness.

I think society has become increasingly fractured, self-centred, and there are too many people who live outside a system that cuts people off rather brutally rather than ensuring everyone feels part of something. I think t'internet provides a platform for people to be social and talk to others and it goes a long way but it is a confined world, that you have control over, which bares little relation to 'the real world' (although, this is increasingly less the case, as the lines between are blurred). We are social creatures, don't forget. That doesn't mean going out and getting pissed at weekends, it means we need each other, to achieve things and fulfill basic, fundamental needs.

Added to that, there is unemployment, which is a huge problem that gets papered over by too many. People like to feel useful, and that they are doing something that contributes toward their own goals or society's. Too many people have been cut adrift from that before they had a chance to get on a ladder. As a result you have millions of 18-25 year olds around the world who, quite simply, have nothing to do. I think that wears people down over time, and it is a disgrace that we have don't pressure governments to provide more jobs, which they could so easily do.

This is strictly from my experience. I can't speak for older people.

That is a fantastic post, CED. One I can very much relate to.

I have suffered with anxiety at various degrees of severity over the years. My first ever panic attack came after smoking too much weed, and I can categorically state that alcohol made my problems a hundred times worse. I lead a pretty healthy life these days, having turned 40 I think u have no choice!!...but I haven't had a panic attack for years and that has coincided with a dramatic reduction in alcohol and keeping fit, I usually run 20+ miles a week.

I'm not saying that everyone should do this but, for me, I find it astounding that some people see no link between drug/alcohol use and anxiety/depression.

I know there are people who have never gone near drugs/alcohol who suffer.

I used to drink a lot in my late teens and was incredibly relaxed! It's the continued use that catches up with u. If I have a heavy session on a saturday now, it takes me 3-4 days to recover...and when I mean recover, I mean my anxiety levels returning to normal!

My mums been on anti depressents since she had me at 19, she's 50 now. My mrs has been on them for a while also. I've had mild depression due to alcohol and drug abuse and I've had medication for it in past but it was fairly mild if I'm honest. They was giving me amitriptillyne or however you spell it but I ended up abusing them so come off them. I'm alright now but the first few weeks when I'm trying to stay off coke I get really down. I've self harmed a few years back when I was in a mess with drink and drugs, also at that time in my life my gran was ill and I had a murder trial in which I had to attend and give evidence hanging over me plus I was due in court myself for a incident that happend with me and some bloke, all the pressure from it just exploded in my head and I ended cutting myself up pretty bad on my arms. Thank god I'm a million miles away from where I was a few years back. Anyway stefan hope you sort it out

I'm going through a 'last days of Berlin' phase at the moment. I'm drinking heavily everynight and although I'm not taking drugs I reckon, if offered, I'd go for it.

My marriage broke down last month and last Wednesday I stood at the end of the ferry port crying my eyes wondering if I should jump in. Other nights I'm happy as can be and I'm enjoying a few one night stands...but the next day I'll walk to the waters edge again.

I'm going through a 'last days of Berlin' phase at the moment. I'm drinking heavily everynight and although I'm not taking drugs I reckon, if offered, I'd go for it.

My marriage broke down last month and last Wednesday I stood at the end of the ferry port crying my eyes wondering if I should jump in. Other nights I'm happy as can be and I'm enjoying a few one night stands...but the next day I'll walk to the waters edge again.

:o:(

Go and get some help mate. I consider myself luck never to have experienced such dark thoughts, but I have been there with family members and friends. I know there are things that can help (some of which have been mentioned on here). Without going into specifics I have a close family member who suffered from depression, and went to a very dark place. That was 4 or so years ago, and the difference in them now is remarkable, and it's because they had the courage to admit their problem and seek help. It's not going to be a quick fix, but it can get better.  

Edited by dAVe80

I know its a bit of a cliche but drink and drugs will just worsen the problem, its so easy to drink away your problems but they still remain their the following morning. Try and appreciate yourself and look at the bigger picture, might be shit at the moment but it won't always be like that.times is a great healer, start going gym or doing stuff like to motivate yourself and gain confidence. Drugs are alright for a bit of fun but not to block out pain and suffering so I'd stay clear of that. Anyway hope you sort yourself out mate

:(

There's another generational difference I've noticed (via VT) - the number of younger guys (a) thinking they're getting old, as early as their 20s, and (B) the number that say they fear death. 

I can honestly say that neither of those things has ever troubled me (even now!), and I don't recall any of my friends ever talking that way (except in jest).

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1