The Best 'Best Ofs'

Xann

Oft maligned, but with the right subject matter and a compiler that knows their salt, they can be great.

2uf398i.jpg

This is a fave.

The Dedricks' glorious syrupy sunshine pop was mostly, sadly, overlooked

Perfection in vocal harmony, fans of the Beach Boys and the Association could do much worse.

So what are yours? It could be for non musical reasons (a time and place album). Doesn't have to be a band, or indeed have 'Best Of' in the title, it can be chronical, genre, label or pick out a decent part of a career (Think 'Eponymous' by REM or 'We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll' by Sabbath - which were comps of early material). Or it might just have had everything you wanted on it.

220px-Songbook-SFA.jpg

SFA's songbook vol 1 is a good value entry to all things SFA

there's also a Trojan label compilation out there somewhere with your keyword on the front

(Trojan Mod Classics / Trojan Rocksteady Greats / Trojan Lovesongs  / Trojan Readers Wives etc etc)

• Like 2

I'm usually wary of them though, particularly of a single band or artist.

Hence the thread, try this one...

xauyl4.jpg

Could of chosen just about any track. Outstanding collection - and I still want 'Tensity' by Cannonball Adderley :angry:;)

Seeing as I am on a massive binge of them at the moment, I guess I have to give Boris a mention - Variations is the closing thing they've released to a best of, I guess. They mixed up the rock n roll tracks with some drone and ambient from their (then) previously released albums, and the whole thing flowed beautifully. It was a pretty accuarte representation of a potential set list for a live show, but it's all studio recored stuff. The 'variations' part comes from the fact a few of the tracks are re-recordings, most significantly a longer version of Farewell at the end of the disc, plus a fantastic version of A Bao A Qu. I searched for it on youtube, didn't find it, so had to up it

I don't believe I have any Best Of's, come to think of it.  *quick look*  At The Drive-In's "This Station Is Non-Operational" (predominantly for The Smiths and Pink Floyd covers) and Joy Division's "Substance", but that's it.  My missus has a few, but they're awful.  Except for her Tim Curry one.  That's kinda awesome.

Edited by GarethRDR

• 4 weeks later...

It has to be "The Best of the Beatles".

Well I have all the albums plus the "Past Masters" CDs that round up all the non-album singles, B-sides, EPs, etc.

But if I didn't, the "Red" and "Blue" compilations would be where I'd go.

Next suggestion:

613oaBPD5dL._SY300_.jpg

Although I would have liked the title track from "Southern Accents" on there, it's pretty much a perfect selection if you like the band.

Â