The Best 'Best Ofs'

Xann

True story - when original drummer Pete Best got kicked out of The Beatles (supposedly for being a bad drummer but allegedly for being too good looking and pulling more women than McCartney) he recorded an album and put it out as "Best of The Beatles".  :)

• Like 1

numerous albums I could mention , but probably  give my vote to :

Ntwicqg_album_cover.jpg

the band comments are pretty decent as well  :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

numerous albums I could mention , but probably  give my vote to :

Ntwicqg_album_cover.jpg

the band comments are pretty decent as well  :)

Any "Best of" by a band who only made 2 albums is shit regardless of who that band may be. I include Joy Division in that as I don't regard Still as a proper album

I've always rather disliked Greatest Hits type albums. Always feels rather like milking it.

Often a record company thing, artists are contractually obliged as part of longer album deals.

zFF806W.jpg

How about a band whose debut album is "greatest hits" then? 

to be a complete anorak, I've got two of their albums prior to 'greatest hits', and they released many more - but I think they were basically home recordings 

I have one I don't even know the name of and is mostly just some pot head giggling and a really early copy of 'manifesto' which was released on a standard clear CD with 'matalanafesto' written across it in pemanent marker

and just to Illustrate the showbiz circles I mix in, I once lent Eggsy a pen, yeah. don't mess with me, I'm connected

The album 'safe as ****' is also worth a listen for such classics as '(can I **** your) sister' and 'bad boy limp'

I would imagine many acts from the 50s and early 60s had "Greatest Hits" as their first album, as it was the era where singles were the main event.

When I was 6 or 7 -ish I noticed this cassette in the glove box of my dads Austin Maxi. On the cover it had a picture of four guys leaning over a balcony, with long hair and funny clothes. One day I took it upon myself to put it on, I pressed play, the tape hissed for a few seconds, then I heard the most beautiful sound. It was a Melotron playing the opening few notes of Strawberry Fields Forever on The Beatles blue album, it was a turning point in my life, the day I fell in love with music. Kyle and Bross just wasn't doing anything for me, I needed music with more depth.

• Like 1

I think I'm right in saying that The Beatles didn't put out a greatest hits album during the career of the band. And comparatively few of their singles were on the albums.

I think I'm right in saying that The Beatles didn't put out a greatest hits album during the career of the band. And comparatively few of their singles were on the albums.

there were a few greatest type albums released around the world  as early as 1965 put out by the record labels rather than the band though I think

there were a few greatest type albums released around the world  as early as 1965 put out by the record labels rather than the band though I think

Not in the UK, though. 

A collection of Beatles oldies ... I know my dad had it so I just looked it up and it was released in 66 in the UK

You're right - I'd forgotten about that. Which sort of proves my point, in that it was a relatively low-key release - nobody I knew bought it, despite the fact that they were the biggest band in the world at the time. I guess most fans already had the singles and didn't feel they needed it.

Looking at the track listing, pretty good selection, but the Red and Blue albums would be the definitive Beatles comps, IMO.

it was that "oldies" album that first got me into the Beatles when I was a kid as I used to hear it a lot  .. thankfully I didn't inherit my dads love of Steeleye Span that he also played to death :rant:

is it just me that goes through spells of thinking the Blue Album is better than the red .. and then changing my mind a little later **

I'm currently back on the early stuff > older stuff  ( have Hard days night on play at the mo) , but I change with the wind on this

** Bicks need not answer this question :)

Edited by tonyh29

The Beatles straddled the era where pop became "rock" (arguably they were a factor in causing the change) - the Red/Blue contrast shows this perfectly.

It's a shame that their few recorded live performances are all from the era of "bang out the hits in twenty minutes", inadequate equipment and screaming girls; if they'd carried on playing gigs in the late 60s (as McCartney wanted them to), they could have developed as a great live act (as hinted at by the famous "rooftop concert"), in the same way the Stones did.

Â