Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Having Gardner in the squad next season will be like a new signing if he can stay fit and start to get games.

We really need a CB and LB as priorities then replace whoever leaves...

OUT - Given, Dunne, Petrov (retired), Hutton, Makoun, Ireland, Bent

IN - GK, CB, LB, CM, RW, ST

Calm down. Lowton and Westwood have a lot of first team experience in lower leagues. Our academy players have been thrown straight in at the deep end. That's a big difference.

Really? Clark and Bannan have something like 120 first team games between them. Hardly being thrown in.

How many starts?

As for Clark in particular, he's only just moved to CB. AFAIK his performances in midfield were rated good by most fans.

Edited by Con

Calm down. Lowton and Westwood have a lot of first team experience in lower leagues. Our academy players have been thrown straight in at the deep end. That's a big difference.

Really? Clark and Bannan have something like 120 first team games between them. Hardly being thrown in.

exactly.. i knew somebody would come out with that though, we will do anything to defend our youngsters sometimes

i'd say its Lowton and Westwood that were thrown in the deep end to be honest

How many starts?

As for Clark in particular, he's only just moved to CB. AFAIK his performances in midfield were rated good by most fans.

That statement is made up though isnt it to try and defend a poor season from one of our academy players. 

Clark is a CB, has always been a CB, and will probably always be a CB

hopefully for a lesser team than ourselves

Not sentimental about academy graduates. Don't want to waste great talent before they've had enough first team experience.

Clark has only had 30 games at CB.

Most of Bannan's 60 odd appearances were from the bench.

How many starts?

Clark started something like 28 league games last season. Bannan had 10 last and 18 this season. Surely that's more than enough to judge someone, especially as it's over multiple seasons.

If they had say 10 games or so and they didn't perform, maybe you could say people are being harsh and calling them shit.

Edited by Daniel

Fair enough. I would hate to aswell.

But we have the likes of Weimann to compare them to and his contribution is lightyears ahead of theirs.

However I'd probably disagree with most people about the ability of our academy graduates because I've always thought Cahill is an average defender whereas most Villa fans would happily lynch MON for selling him, however thats another debate :) 

I don't think 30 starts is a lot of experience.

As for Clark, we stayed up, in difficult circumstances. There are mitigating circumstances for his record this season, in the team we had under the new manager. He's getting a new contract anyway so this debate gladly is irrelevant  :D  :D

Like the fact he's English, although I think Vydra would better fit our counter-attack style.

I’ll be surprised if Vydra makes any permanent move this summer. Udinese will be keen to hold onto him given that Di Natalie is likely to retire this summer or next. If Watford do go up then there’s a chance that the owners may let him stay there for another season but I think it’s more likely that he’ll be back in Italy. 

there hasnt been much talk of who people would like to see in this thread like past transfer threads

GK

out: Given and Marshall

in: either Boaz Myhill or Wayne Hennessey (as cup and second choice)

CB

out: Dunne

in: Abdoulaye Ba (or Robert Huth)

CM

out: Makoun, Ireland & Bannan
in: Adel Taarabt

CF

out: Bent & Delfouneso

in: no idea! (id like Bas Dost but i know it would never happen)

Agreed, I wouldn't touch Taraabt with someone else's bargepole.  I suggested the ex-Barca duo of Rochina and Romeu earlier in the season, though I've not heard much about their progress.  Either way it's difficult to speculate when you know you won't have heard of most of the signings anyway.

Not sentimental about academy graduates. Don't want to waste great talent before they've had enough first team experience.

Clark has only had 30 games at CB.

Most of Bannan's 60 odd appearances were from the bench.

Most? 35 starts and 28 from the bench over the past three seasons, premier league only.

Having Gardner in the squad next season will be like a new signing if he can stay fit and start to get games.

Haven't seen anything from him to suggest he should be in the team ahead of Delph, Westwood or Sylla tbh. I'll be surprised if that's not our starting midfield trio for the next 3-4 years

there hasnt been much talk of who people would like to see in this thread like past transfer threads

IN - GK, CB, LB, CM, RW, ST

Using that list I think a very successful window would consist of: Smithies, Dragovic, Cresswell, Hunt, Lestienne, Finnbogason

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Dragovic Cresswell

Westwood Delph

Lestienne    Hunt    Agbonlahor

Benteke

Bench: Smithies, Bennett, Clark/Baker, Sylla, Gardner, Weimann, Finnbogason

would be lovely. With Finnbogason ready to take the reigns for when Benteke inevitably leaves.

More realistic may be: Smithies, Dunk/Chester, Cavanda, Murphy, Gale, Deeney/Clayton.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Quality CB please

We defend like clowns sometimes

I can't remember the last time we kept a clean sheet

27 games in all comps without a clean sheet, sunderland away I think

How we have managed to not get relegated with that record is anyone's guess

It would be nice to take the load off our attacking players and not have to win every game 3 - 2 or 2 - 1 for a change

Edited by AshVilla

How we have managed to not get relegated with that record is anyone's guess

It would be nice to take the load off our attacking players and not have to win every game 3 - 2 or 2 - 1 for a change

It's something that's blighted us for 3 seasons now, even under the ultra defensive mcleish we rarely kept clean sheets.

GK

out: Given and Marshall

in: either Boaz Myhill or Wayne Hennessey (as cup and second choice)

CB

out: Dunne

in: Abdoulaye Ba (or Robert Huth)

CM

out: Makoun, Ireland & Bannan

in: Adel Taarabt

CF

out: Bent & Delfouneso

in: no idea! (id like Bas Dost but i know it would never happen)

We'll be going backwards if do that!