Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Bony, Wanyama, Cornelius, & now potentially Finnbogason all going to/gone to inferior (Imo) clubs. 

and will all leave for a bigger club within 1/2 years if they are successful

stepping stone mentality has always been there and always will, and its not just our league it happens in every major European league

we dont need to spend money for the sake of it, dont we still owe the lerner family quite alot?

we shouldnt spend because we have it, we should spend it if we really need to, we could be stable for half a season and not really need to strengthen, but if we get a major injury were down on our luck

plus im liking the idea of not buying from our league rivals, its simple maths that by paying extorsionate amounts to them for players is in theory making them stronger with the ability to buy better from abroad at a lower cost when we could be doing that

for whatever reasons lerner had for cutting the purse strings with oneill and not even letting mcleish near any lose change, there does seem more confidence in lambert

....you're shitting us yeah ? Lets not buy anyone from the Premier League because that will give them the money to buy the players from abroad that we didn't want to buy anyway ? Sounds like a plan....

The fact remains that despite the bright start, we are still woefully short of the quality (not numbers) to make any meaningful improvement on the last 3 seasons of stagnation. Lambert, Faulkner et al, need to start thinking Morrisons or Sainsburys instead of Lidl or Aldi - we know we don't shop at footballing Harrods but as in most things in life, you get what you pay for.

We got lucky with Benteke but even he cost £7m which probably equates to the cost of half our signings so far. I'm mindful of FFP regulations and all that cobblers, but please don't tell me that the money spent so far equates to our transfer budget.

We all know we're short and where - hopefully the 'professionals' do too ?

It's difficult to judge us when we have played 3 really tough games in such a short space of time and particularly when we rely on energy and intensity.

The players we have bought have been for modest sums and need time to develop, but I believe we still need someone to "unlock the door" and give us a bit of edge when teams are intent in closing us down.

Remains to be seen whether anything will happen this window.

I have my doubts....I think we are done.

• Like 1

we dont need to spend money for the sake of it, dont we still owe the lerner family quite alot?

we shouldnt spend because we have it, we should spend it if we really need to, we could be stable for half a season and not really need to strengthen, but if we get a major injury were down on our luck

plus im liking the idea of not buying from our league rivals, its simple maths that by paying extorsionate amounts to them for players is in theory making them stronger with the ability to buy better from abroad at a lower cost when we could be doing that

for whatever reasons lerner had for cutting the purse strings with oneill and not even letting mcleish near any lose change, there does seem more confidence in lambert

....you're shitting us yeah ? Lets not buy anyone from the Premier League because that will give them the money to buy the players from abroad that we didn't want to buy anyway ? Sounds like a plan....

The fact remains that despite the bright start, we are still woefully short of the quality (not numbers) to make any meaningful improvement on the last 3 seasons of stagnation. Lambert, Faulkner et al, need to start thinking Morrisons or Sainsburys instead of Lidl or Aldi - we know we don't shop at footballing Harrods but as in most things in life, you get what you pay for.

We got lucky with Benteke but even he cost £7m which probably equates to the cost of half our signings so far. I'm mindful of FFP regulations and all that cobblers, but please don't tell me that the money spent so far equates to our transfer budget.

We all know we're short and where - hopefully the 'professionals' do too ?

I think we would pay more than 10m for a player when the time comes .. 

It's about what we're ready to compete for .. And what is the impact for a player ..

Now most of the teams who paid loads of money mostly just want to be top 10 !

Maybe Southampton is more ambitios than others ..

But when West Ham , Sunderland , Cardiff and Norwich .. Pays more than 20m ..

And we pay less than 10m ..

We might buy a player with let's say 10m .. But even if it was less than that .. Next year when we're finished with bomb squad .. And when we push on to midtable next season with this budget .. We might be ready for getting 3-4 top class players .. And try to step up to the next level .. Which would be a good timing ..

Not paying more than 25 just to move to the top 10 !

Next season we might have a better squad .. And if we could add to it 2-3 Quality players .. we might actually have 17 players who would fit into any top 10 teams !

We might be in a better finance place than other teams .. And in the same way we can already be better than them .. so we must be eyeing on Liverpool and Spurs next season ! With let's a budget of 30m .. Without selling anyone ..

Last transfer deadline day, didn't we buy Westwood, Bowery and Benteke (who was our most expensive signing of the summer) would love that type of movement again, with an AM (Kiyotake) as the major signing

Edited by mikeyp102

I hear C. Ronaldo is out of favour now that Real Madrid have gotten Bale. Worth a cheeky punt?

Would sooner play "super marc" all day long. Much better right foot and sells more shirts.

As a general rule of thumb it's wise to accept we don't know anything until it happens.

I would like to see Finnbogason in Villa shirt.  

Why should he go to Cardiff?

He don't get the salary he wants by Heerenveen

He wants to play in England.

10 million, we should go for it.

Edited by reykjavik

I don't think we need Finnbogason. He's a striker that can play in the AM position (a bit like Helenius IMO).

We need an attacking midfielder who can create things.

At £10 million Finnbogason isn't good value.  Isn't he just a slightly sharper version of Weimann? Like Weimann we would only play him on the wing.

What could we sell him for after a season playing him on the wing - £30m? We couldn't sell Benteke for £30m after a 23 goal debut season.  Not good value. We definitely won't be buying him.

The team still has space for a midfielder who gets a lot of assists. If there is transfer action, that's where I expect and hope it will be.

Edited by Con
  • Like 2

At £10 million Finnbogason isn't good value. Isn't he just a slightly sharper version of Weimann? Like Weimann we would only play him on the wing.

What could we sell him for after a season playing him on the wing - £30m? We couldn't sell Benteke for £30m after a 23 goal debut season. Not good value. We definitely won't be buying him.

The team still has space for a midfielder who gets a lot of assists. If there is transfer action, that's where I expect and hope it will be.

Good post Con.

• Like 1

No rumours coming through.. been very quiet.. I think that's it for us unfortunately. Lets hope one of the kids steps up

The fact that there's been no rumours doesn't really mean much, and there's still a week left of the transfer window. IIRC we hadn't been linked with any of our deadline day signings this time last year.

Edited by Mantis