Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

We just bought half a new defence, let's see how they go before writing then off eh? Defences are units, each player gives the others confidence, things could change dramatically with okore and Luna in there. Let's just wait and see

• Like 1

I said looseness is forgivable while he gets the squad into shape. As in, it is to be expected. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

The defence did improve as soon as we stopped relying on Herd and Lichaj and the pants midfield we had (as I said before). I think Lambert is capable even though it is clear his heart is more in attack than defence, and so be it.

Yes, so be it, I agree with that. Edited by AVTuco

We just bought half a new defence, let's see how they go before writing then off eh? Defences are units, each player gives the others confidence, things could change dramatically with okore and Luna in there. Let's just wait and see

I'm not writing them off, not at all. Just a little worried. Are they a unit when season begins?

Edited by AVTuco

I'm not writing them off, not at all. Just a little worried. Are they a unit when season begins?

They've got 3 games to sort it out, because we're sure as hell not expected to get anything from those matches

They've got 3 games to sort it out, because we're sure as hell not expected to get anything from those matches

I'd hope for at least a point from Plop at home.

I certainly expect something from the first three matches!  What on earth makes people think that Liverpool, for example, are a team to gift points to?  Ditto Arsenal.  We've got more than enough about us to get points from all three games.

• Like 1

Remember too we only took 1pt from our opening 3 Premier League fixtures last season.

It's a tough start. But we need to make sure it's a tough start for Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool too.

We could easily be the surprise team next season.

Why not?

• Like 2

Remember too we only took 1pt from our opening 3 Premier League fixtures last season.

It's a tough start. But we need to make sure it's a tough start for Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool too.

Why not?

Exacly, what a statement of intent say... 4/5 points from these 3 games would be.

Why not?

Exacly, what a statement of intent say... 4/5 points from these 3 games would be.

To be honest, I'd be more than happy with 2 draws and a narrow defeat from those games. 4-5 points would be a great start and would set us up nicely for the rest of the season.

Any results against United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and even Liverpool are bonus points, it's the other 13 teams we need to be focusing on and, honestly, we should be aiming to win every single match against Cardiff, Palace, Everton, Fulham, Hull, Newcastle, Norwich, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea, West Brom and West Ham. That's 78 points up for grabs, we're not yet at the stage where the matches against the other lot are particularly relevant. Obviously we don't want to be going out not to get anything, and you break your balls to get whatever you can, but, like I say, they're bonus points

I know what you're saying P3te and in general I broadely agree. I perhaps wouldn't be quite as dismissive of our chances against the first 6. The great thing about Lambert is that you know against that 6 teams he'll go for the throat every bit as much as against the other lot.

im with BOF on this, sure we will definetly be punching from below, but football is a funny game.

seeing as its early in the season teams might be a bit slack still coming off from summer, with lambert going all out attack on them and some slight luck or a defender thats absent minded for 1 second could mean that we might even steal a win.

a win and a draw would be awesome, two draws probably a bit more likely IMO

Edited by tomaspg

I want to be optimistic because I think we are quite possibly assembling a very good team but there something about optimism and being an Aston Villa fan that doesn't go along.

I fancy arsenal first game, think we'll pick up a point at least, to be fair since they moved to the emirates we've done okay against them generally and even recently when we've generally been shite.

Chelsea I think will turn us over

Liverpool could be there for the taking if they start poorly, then again if they start well they could turn us over........

Upshot is I'd defo be disappointed to end up with zero points after three games

For sure. I'd love a CAM, we do need a good playmaker to link it all together, but the priority should be adding a quality CB.

As much as I like Vlaar, he's not good enough for Premier League, however it seems he will be starting for us... Okore will be a beast, just gotta give him few matches though.

Yeah he makes some strange decisions and is not the best from coerners but he scored two crackers last season and his passing out from the back is great and he sets up alot of our play from the back. He just needs the right partner in beside him imo

• Like 1