Sunderland

Richard

Fantastic post Trent, I couldn't agree more.

I think the next appointment will determine the mid to long term future of Sunderland. Maybe a poyet could be their lambert and they turn things around, a McLeish could could put them even further back than where thay are now, given it could be their 7th manager in 6yrs. The next appointment could make or break sunderland's long term future.

Edited by av1

Disappointing. How are they going to entertain their fans now?

Or more importantly how are they going to entertain the rest of the country.......

Fear not sir, if they employ mcleish there will still be plenty of fun to be had by all ;-)

They also have similar players to what we had i.e. O'Shea (Dunne), Cattermole (NRC), Altidore (Heskey).

And hopefully the next step is (like us) a dump Scottish manager ;-)

Good post Trent. I hope for their sake PdC hasn't turned them off the idea of an Italian or off a foreign appointment. You're right that the likes of Zola or di Matteo would be a good appointment and I believe di Matteo is hot favourite at this early stage (not that that matters usually).

The trouble facing Sunderland is that their current crop of players never found their way in the Premier League. It's not like they had it, lost it and then sacked their manager. They've brought in 13 players, sold Sessegnon and have yet to gel. So they probably won't even benefit from new manager syndrome because they've yet to put a cohesive team out this season.

The next man in there has a job bigger than the normal rescue job. What's in his favour is that he has so much time to turn it around and for that the board deserve some credit. It took cojones to pull the plug on di Canio as early as they did.

Sunderland would be almost better off hiring someone like McLeish now, hoping for survival, if they do just about survive then sack him and then go for someone like Malky Mackay depending on Cardiff's finishing position. If I were the Sunderland chairman I'd be doing everything I could to persuade Malky Mackay that Sunderland have a lot of potential and he could lead them. Doubt Mackay would be interested at the minute, maybe next season though.

Edited by PieFacE

It was obviously coming though and you could tell that during his post match interview when he talked about the board needing to understand that he wouldn't be changing

My opinion (im normally wrong) when I saw his post match interview, was that he knew the writing was one the wall. I think this was decided before the boggies game.

Possibly controversial but I think I'd rather have McLeish over McClaren if I were a Sunderland fan. At least McLeish has a decent chance of grinding out enough results to get them to fall over the line. Couldn't see McClaren keeping them up, don't rate him at all.

Edited by Isa

Cant find anything about if Roberto Fanti director of football and Valentino Angeloni chief scout have been sacked too. If they still there at least Fanti will have a say about the new manager and then it would probably be another Italian.

Di Canio is a lower league manager at best and will not get another chance at a championship/premier league job unless he changes his approach to dealing with players. The main problem is that the tough, strict approach works at a lower league club like Swindon where the players are earning a pittance compared to the premier league and they cannot afford to kick up a fuss. But at a club like Sunderland where some players are on 60/70k a week (Brown, O shea, Johnson and Fletcher) are not going to give a **** about what Di Canio says and there lies his main problem.

• Like 2

14 signings and think 5 with premier league experience was always asking for trouble

Careful. People might root out Lambo's signings and add up the Premier League experience :o:P
  • Like 1

14 signings and think 5 with premier league experience was always asking for trouble

Careful. People might root out Lambo's signings and add up the Premier League experience :o:P

very true though difference Lambert didnt sign 14 in a window and we dont know if he PDC wanted them all or this DoF guy had a case of Mark Hughesitis

Â