Weekend football 23rd, 24th and 25th February

Richard

Football Weekly made a good point this week.

They said that the set up at Swansea is such that the manager is really just the coach, and is nowhere near as involved in the backroom stuff and transfers etc as they would be at a lot of clubs.

More of a continental approach (one of the reasons Laudrup was appointed as he has experience of that)

They do this to encourage more continuity in the club. When a manager leaves it doesn't uproot the whole club and set them back two years. They just employ a new one who can carry on the philosophy.

And judging by how they've moved form Martinez to Rodgers to Laudrup it would suggest it's working.

tbh, I think it would be the same score if we did get there instead of Bradford.

We have played Swansea twice this season and beat them at home and drew away. Why do you think they would thrash us?

1) Big pitch, they would run at our full backs all day. Pure joy,

2) If it wasn't for luck, massive luck, we'd have been about 5-0 down in the first 20 minutes at their ground.

3) We **** up big chances.

It's exactly the same size as our pitch.

Football Weekly made a good point this week.

They said that the set up at Swansea is such that the manager is really just the coach, and is nowhere near as involved in the backroom stuff and transfers etc as they would be at a lot of clubs.

More of a continental approach (one of the reasons Laudrup was appointed as he has experience of that)

They do this to encourage more continuity in the club. When a manager leaves it doesn't uproot the whole club and set them back two years. They just employ a new one who can carry on the philosophy.

And judging by how they've moved form Martinez to Rodgers to Laudrup it would suggest it's working.

Yes, I think it is quite a smart system and we would be in a much better situation if we had a director of football who gave the club some direction and continuity. It was all down to MON to do this for us and we were completely toast when he walked. 

I think West Brom are another club who have applied this, their manager changes have also been seamless. 

You still need to have a bloody good setup for it to work, though.  Yes, it may bring continuity to have a 'head coach' as such rather than a manager, but that doesn't necessarily mean that success will follow.  It's a common model abroad but it certainly doesn't work well for many teams.

It may seem like the way forward, but at the end of the day we'd need to employ people who worked above the manager who would be very good at their jobs.  That may prove even more difficult than, say, just hiring a manager who's very good at his job.  The former would maybe be more beneficial in the long run (although I'd suggest that Swansea and West Brom still have a way to go before their approach can be classed as successful in the long term, at the highest level) but would probably be extremely difficult to implement correctly, particularly at Villa in our current predicament.

The thing I most enjoyed about today's result is that it must finally stop Cardiff City's bitching on about not being allowed into the Welsh Cup with it's access to europe

For years Cardiff have tried to say they should be allowed to dabble as and when they choose in both english and welsh competitions. They have no interest in helping the small cash strapped welsh teams, but did want to join the welsh cup at quarter final stage to qualify for a bit of europe. Their arguement was that access to europe would be denied them by the english FA should they qualify via that route. Welsh FA quite rightly said they could qualify via Wales, all they had to do was join the league.

The local rag newspapers have regularly seen this as a bigger outrage than apartheid or 9/11. Perhaps now they can just shut up about it.

I think it was because Ba clearly "bought" the penalty.  It wasn't a dive, but he waited for contact and went down easily.  Letter of the law vs spirit of the law will be a debate which rumbles forever. 

It was Martinez who set them on their way, Brendan Rogers carried it on and Laudrup has taken the torch and run with it. 

they were saying a few weeks ago that was Kenny Jackett who started the style and ideals of the club

Why isn't Joe Hart sent off for that

Ba was kind of drifting away from goal and went after the penalty, and even though he did it is still a penalty. Fair to not give a red card as Hart has the right to challenge and a defender was behind him and in front of the goal (I think). How he escaped a yellow card is another thing though, I think pretty much every penalty should have a yellow card attached to it - especially when Hart knows the risk of going after that ball.

Didn't see that situation until now, but my initial reaction is that the guy brought down is going to score if he manages to go past Duke. His touch is maybe a bit too long, but it is for me plausible to say that he is denied a clear opportunity to score. Demba Ba is moving away from goal and would at best get a shot from a more narrow angle with awkward balance and there is a defender in the way, so he isn't denied a clear-cut chance to score. Duke is a blatant red-card, Hart couldn't say much if he was shown off but I think it was the right call, except for not giving him a yellow card.

The guy DUke brought down would absolutely have scored. It's completely blatant.

Haven't seen the Hart incident so can't comment on the similarities, but there should be no doubt that the red card for Duke was right.

Â