Weekend football 23rd, 24th and 25th February

Richard

The Clasico gets played far to frequently these days.  Tonight's game is the fifteenth meeting in the last 22 months.  They meet for a sixteenth time this weekend.   Where is the tension in a game if it is endlessly replayed? If you win it then you get bragging rights for about five minutes. 

While the classico is a very common game, is there any way of avoiding it...no because both teams go so far in all competitions it is inevitable that they will meet often.

some tidbits

-referee was brilliant let the game flow as best he can and didnt get conned

-Varane looks really special, 2 games Messi hasnt got much change from him

-Pique again was crap for 2 goals, can see now why Fergie chose Evans

-Xavi has been below average for a while even at the euros and for me this is causing Barcelona not to attack so well

-Khedira and Alonso were tops in middle of the park

- Alba should be banned for his spin and dive

When Xavi/Iniesta are taken care of then Messi really struggles to make an impact. No tidy passes through the defence, then no runs or goals. That is kind of the difference with him and Ronaldo because the latter always finds the ball and always has a few shots at goal in any game. Messi is a more likeable person, thus he gets more plaudits. However, the difference between them is miniscule in my opinion.

Both extreme footballers and if we don't discount for inflation and Maradona et al getting the benefit of the doubt - easily the best footballers in history.

Edited by Papillon

Messi is a more likeable person, thus he gets more plaudits.

From talking to people in my industry who have worked with both Messi and Ronaldo you'd be surprised who they say the more likeable person is off the pitch.

Not surprised by that at all, Ronaldo suffers because he had a different reputation back in the days when he was young in England and well, because of the way he looks and gets himself in the media sportlight. Like Beckham really. Messi is just a footballer and nothing else, he never says anything, he never gets into the media for other reasons than sports. Ronaldo, besides from all the above, is 100% professional, is never injured because he works so hard to be the best athlete, plays every game and never gives up even when 2-0 down. Not bad from a so-called primadonna who only plays for himself, I would bet he is a genuinely nice guy off the pitch. And imagine the constant pressure from the media always trying to stirr things up from the smallest of actions...

Not talking down Messi though, I am just one of those who thinks the difference between the two is virtually nothing. It's not Messi vs. Ronaldo, it's both. Then a five level gap down to the next batch of players like Xavi, Van Persie, Bale, Suarez or whoever catches the attention in the media. Bale is insanely good for 10 games, difference is that these two guys are at that level in the last 100 games.

Â