The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Soooo guitar amps. What you got and what would you recommend? I'm after a combo tube amp and the Blackstar range has caught my eye for tone, features and affordability. In an ideal world I'd like and Orange rockerverb, but they are expensive.

Ah a Blackstar eh !  Have a look at this geezer, Dave Ball from Sutton Coldfield. I played with him in the 60's -but he was out of my league really!

Now lives near Burton on Trent - I went for a bit of a jam with him a last year.http://youtu.be/__KN0gW8vkg

Lovely. Enjoyed that, thanks for posting. 

Soooo guitar amps. What you got and what would you recommend?

34pjmab.jpg A Polytone, and they're great.

2qcgfgm.jpg An Orange Matamp, it's pretty cool too.

The Polytone is solid state, they're prized for their dry sound. The Orange is valve.

Keep 'em cos I love 'em, despite not owning an electric for yonks :rolleyes:

Been meaning to get a bass, just not got round to it.

Amps? I don't know the UK market as well (other than the fact that US stuff tends to be insanely marked up over there), but what's your budget and what do you really need?

Since pics are being posted, here's a few of the amps in my general vicinity:

amps_pt1_zps98ec5bbc.jpg

The Carr is my go-to for the typical work I do (displacing a Goodsell Super 17, which is still in close competition), but I've always been the type that prefers different tools for different jobs. There's another 9-10 strategically positioned (id est, carried in and set down wherever I could find before dropping dead for the night) around the house.

Yep thats the price

THE SUPER EARL $55,506

Here's some of the quotes from the website

I had all the money together to buy this instrument then I noticed that it was $55,506. I sold everything I had--my car, house, plants, furniture, pets, everthing and had $55,500 all ready to spend in a brown paper sack but then I noticed that I still need 6 more dollars. I felt so foolish when I got to the store and the sales guy was like "Get that sac of $55,500 out of here. Come back when you're serious." Then a kid with an Iron Maiden t-shirt came up and played Stairway to Heaven on it and then bought it right out from under me. This always happens to me.

This Banjo is made of the metal called "unobtanium" ! The wood is called "gother" was taken from Noah's Ark found in Ararat Mountains. Drumskin is made of a personal cow of Dalai Lama. And the instrument was personally tested by Bella Fleck, Paul McCartney and Paco De Lucia. It was also brought to Elvis's and the John Lennon's homes in Memphis and Liverpool accordingly. So the price is very discounted for such a legendary instrument. I beg your pardon, forgot to say where the inlays are coming from: it's the authentic pearl necklace that was dropped by that grandmother from Titanic.

No modern Gibson is worth that kind of money, especially when you can buy one of the banjo world's holy grails for that, an original 1939 Style 12 Mastertone: http://www.gruhn.com/photo/JA6138.jpg

The quality just isn't there on their new stuff. Yet another indication of their business model, preferring to be "lifestyle" products over accessible high quality instruments. Honestly, much better off buying a Nechville or Deering. 

My band has its first real gig next week. We're playing a 50 minute set at a celebration of our class being done for summer. We're expecting upwards of 80 people. Unfortunately we've only got a 20-25 minute set at the moment, so are hoping to get another 5 songs learned in our only practice session before the gig the following day. Could end up as a disaster. I'll have had a few pints though so my natural charm will hopefully carry us through

Played an unbelievable gig the other night. Absolutely delighted with how it went. All 6 members in the band are from the class and then 50 people from the class also showed up. Ended up playing to 80 friends of ours for 80 minutes. Everyone was pretty hammered, including me, so dancing, singing along, crowd surfing, male nudity, underwear throwing etc was all going on. Pretty excellent. Played an encore and then engineered extending the encore into another chorus.. Had to be cut off by the sound guy because we were all set to keep playing... After you play a gig, people want to buy you shots. i know that now. After that things get a little fuzzy.

Setlist:

Reptlila

Float On

Go with the Flow

Roulette (SOAD)

Where is my Mind

White Room

Message in a Bottle

Say it aint so

Little Sister (QOTSA)

Cherub Rock

Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Don't Fear the Reaper

Lonely Boy

Holy thread revival, Batman!

The band that I make noises with have a new album out today so if anybody takes a listen it will be much appreciated. For those who have somehow managed to avoid my spam in the past we're an instrumental/post-rock kind of band from Brum. You can get your mitts on it (for whatever you're willing to pay, including nothing) at: http://arborlights.bandcamp.com/

Played an unbelievable gig the other night. Absolutely delighted with how it went. All 6 members in the band are from the class and then 50 people from the class also showed up. Ended up playing to 80 friends of ours for 80 minutes. Everyone was pretty hammered, including me, so dancing, singing along, crowd surfing, male nudity, underwear throwing etc was all going on. Pretty excellent. Played an encore and then engineered extending the encore into another chorus.. Had to be cut off by the sound guy because we were all set to keep playing... After you play a gig, people want to buy you shots. i know that now. After that things get a little fuzzy.

Setlist:

Reptlila

Float On

Go with the Flow

Roulette (SOAD)

Where is my Mind

White Room

Message in a Bottle

Say it aint so

Little Sister (QOTSA)

Cherub Rock

Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Don't Fear the Reaper

Lonely Boy

Well done on Message In A Bottle. The guitar riff isn't easy to play and the vocal is a nightmare. Did you play it in the same key as 'The Police?'

Holy thread revival, Batman!

The band that I make noises with have a new album out today so if anybody takes a listen it will be much appreciated. For those who have somehow managed to avoid my spam in the past we're an instrumental/post-rock kind of band from Brum. You can get your mitts on it (for whatever you're willing to pay, including nothing) at: http://arborlights.bandcamp.com/

Blimey !!  That is excellent. Great drumming - (the only instrument that really counts) :D

• Like 1

Â