The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

I have absolutely no idea whether they are direct drive, I've never used them (yet) ! Our bass player used to do all the recording - and I have a digital recorder, so they are a bit of a black art to me. 

As for the Fostex being collectable - I was considering chucking it in a skip! 

I have absolutely no idea whether they are direct drive, I've never used them (yet) ! Our bass player used to do all the recording - and I have a digital recorder, so they are a bit of a black art to me. 

As for the Fostex being collectable - I was considering chucking it in a skip! 

You'll soon find out because the belts tend to perish and motors don't. 

But belts are still available.

Don't chuck the Fostex - that would be murder.

When they appear on Youtube there is always someone who wants to buy because they have archives etc.

PS Didn't Springsteen record Nebraska on a Tascam?

Here's what Joey did on his Fostex.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

You're dead right about the drums. I seriously thought about buying a kit, but from the point of view of marital and neighbour harmony, it's a non-starter. 

But here's a thought - any of you guys know anything about electronic kits? I guess the main idea is that you can practice with headphones and make very little noise - but what about recording them? Could I run each pad into a channel on my recorder and get anything worth listening to? Would it be any better than laboriously programming drum samples (which TBH is a ballsache) ? 

BTW, yes, that Fostex up there is the one I have. 

Edited by mjmooney

Don't know about the technicalities of recording electronic kits but they (in my limited experience of 'em) don't have the same 'feel' or warmth as an acoustic kit. I recently sold my Maple Sonor to buy a carbon fibre time trial frame (my other main interest) then fell off on black ice just before Christmas and broke my hip. Was told I may never regain sufficient strength to race so am weighing up buying another kit.  I had some rubbery pad thingies on the drum heads and you couldn't hear them outside. 

Just out of interest; I tell you what did feel good to play and that was those Simmons electronic drums much favoured in the early 80's. You can hear them at the start of the awful programme 'East Enders' - which is as far as I ever get before switching it off !

Don't know about the technicalities of recording electronic kits but they (in my limited experience of 'em) don't have the same 'feel' or warmth as an acoustic kit. 

But no worse than a drum machine, I assume. 

And I could actually hit things, instead of pressing buttons for hours on end. 

Could I run each pad into a channel on my recorder and get anything worth listening to?

Well, sorta.

If you're planning on dun chik dun chik they're ok.

If you've got good wrist action, and intend to use it (particularly on the snare), I wouldn't touch an electronic kit.

Check em out on Youtube or the shop you bought your latest purchases from.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, remembering that I was/am a drummer; !! I thought the best bass amp I played with was a Peavey with a Black Widow. I have played with bass players with some nice gear too; Fender Bassman, Mesa Boogie etc. but thought that the Peavey was the nicest. Just an opinion.

But you must go for the one with the Black Widow; it had I little 'B W' badge at the bottom of the cab I think. The bass player always said that it was the speaker that made the difference . However, on thinking about it, he was from Stoke on Trent ! :)

got a full drumkit* in the house with a few sets of expensive acoustic pads

still loud, but doesn't penetrate the fabric of the party wall or 'travel', so everyone's happy

when we know the neighbours are out we go for pads off death or glory and bloody hell you hear the difference

* started life as a £99 Aldi special offer and is being swapped up piece by piece as the kids have proven to be serious about it and passed exams

Seems a bit pointless to me, but would be fun. The little clip on chromatic tuners are so accurate these days, with a but of practice it only takes a few seconds to tune each string.

Agreed. It's a solution looking for a problem.

Seems a bit pointless to me, but would be fun. The little clip on chromatic tuners are so accurate these days, with a but of practice it only takes a few seconds to tune each string.

Agreed. It's a solution looking for a problem.

But... but... "Your guitar will now have a fuller sound than ever before"   :huh:

• Like 1

So I've got a copy of fruity loops studio, lifetime updates which is cool. Anyone know any decent tutorials? I'm very new to these digital plugins, I can get my head around the guitar like ones but synthesisers and drum machines are beyond me at the minute. I tried Reason too, but the whole process confused me.

I need a bass amp. It needs to be loud. Budget is around £600 tops. Anybody with any recommendations?

I've got an Ashdown EB220 and it's perfect for me. It's not incredibly large, but its pretty damn loud and it sounds gorgeous. I find the compressor helps boost it a bit more too, which it has built in.

Â