The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Wouldn't be without my Danelectro 12. 

Super cool. Love how those sound. It must be nice to dip into 12-stringy tones and still have other guitars, too. I want that! Another 12-string I was looking it. It's very weird, but you gotta admire the science and craft of this these things:

Edited by Marka Ragnos

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Super cool. Love how those sound. It must be nice to dip into 12-stringy tones and still have other guitars, too. I want that! Another 12-string I was looking it. It's very weird, but you gotta admire the science and craft of this these things:

I've always loved the sound of the 12 string, right back to the early Beatles stuff, and especially The Byrds (see my T shirt in the party pics) and the bands influenced by them (REM, Tom Petty, et al). Of course, I really wanted a Rickenbacker, but at north of three grand they're way out of my budget. The Danelectro was a tenth of the price! I also have a Seagull acoustic 12. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've always loved the sound of the 12 string, right back to the early Beatles stuff, and especially The Byrds (see my T shirt in the party pics) and the bands influenced by them (REM, Tom Petty, et al). Of course, I really wanted a Rickenbacker, but at north of three grand they're way out of my budget. The Danelectro was a tenth of the price! I also have a Seagull acoustic 12. 

I bought a 6-string Rick for $300. (In 1990 heh.) Ridiculous prices these days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had my bonus come through from work so there was only one thing for it....new guitar.

I've always wanted a Gibson Les Paul and thought I'd finally pull the trigger on it, got to the shop and spent about an hour playing it trying to convince myself that it was worth the money but man, I was completely uninspired, I decided to go home and play my 2021 Epi Les Paul and see if I regretted not buying it, I absolutely did not, my battered old Epi plays fantastic, sounds good and what's more is that its mine, I've had it now for 23 years and I know every single inch of that guitar, if I bought the Gibson I would have ended up selling the Epi and I would never have been able to replace it. 

Anyways, knowing that I had that money sitting in the bank was doing my head in (money went into my account at 11pm yesterday) by 1pm I was fully aware that I had all this money sitting around doing nothing for over 12 hours so I pulled the trigger on a Gretsch G5662t, I've always wanted a hollow bodied guitar and a bigsby (I know that most people aren't fans of them) and it cost me nearly a grand less than the Gibson would have.

So all in all, I've got this wonderful beast arriving tomorrow, the Gretsch G5662t in Cadillac green...I've also ordered a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles strap to go on it. 

Gretsch Electromatic G5622T Cadallic Green

• Like 2

I THINK , that was the guitar Denny Laine used when he was in the first incarnation of the Moody Blues. Know nothing (much) about guitars , but looks ace. In the 60's , many guitarists I played with alwaus aspired to getting a Bigsby 'tremelo' arm. Are they called 'whammy bars' now

I had an ES-335 copy a few years ago, with a Bigsby. Didn't like it. Plus I couldn't get on with the tall frets, so I sold it, and bought a Gretsch G2622 - hardtail, medium jumbo frets, much better. 

Funnily enough, I've just bought myself a Strat with a whammy bar. I bottled out of blowing the money on a Fender (can't justify it), and went for a Squier - cheapest model, too, again because of the frets. It's OK, but nothing too exciting. 

Screenshot_2024-03-01-17-34-49-47_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Next instalment in the series "John Shepard's drum kits" for @veloman. Deployed last night for a gig with his new band "The Rhythm Section" - a bass/drums/organ trio doing (mostly instrumental) soul/jazz. Damn good they were, too. Screenshot_2024-04-07-10-33-10-03_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.thumb.jpg.eb6a346e83d1738eef4ea764fc229264.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Next instalment in the series "John Shepard's drum kits" for @veloman. Deployed last night for a gig with his new band "The Rhythm Section" - a bass/drums/organ trio doing (mostly instrumental) soul/jazz. Damn good they were, too. Screenshot_2024-04-07-10-33-10-03_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.thumb.jpg.eb6a346e83d1738eef4ea764fc229264.jpg

For some reason I've never been a fan of Pearl kits. Probably because almost all beat-up rehearsal studio kits are Pearl Exports of one kind or another and are usually in a terrible state.

10 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

For some reason I've never been a fan of Pearl kits. Probably because almost all beat-up rehearsal studio kits are Pearl Exports of one kind or another and are usually in a terrible state.

John S has an excuse - he won that kit in a competition! 

• Like 1

Best kit I ever had was a Pearl DLX; having also had Ludwig , Rogers et al. I believe that the DLX is quite collectible now. Also , Jeff Porcaro used them but sadly I didn't sound like him !!!!

Pearl Drums.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

he won that kit in a competition! 

I've played with some drummers who sounded like they did.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I've played with some drummers who sounded like they did.

You wouldn't say that about this feller, he's jaw-droppingly good. 

17 hours ago, osmark86 said:

New ambient techno track with heavy dub elements that I just finalized. Even sprinkled a little bit of acid on it because filtered 303s are glorious! Really happy with how the rumble turned out on this one. Hope you enjoy!

https://signalen.bandcamp.com/track/movements

a1536000106_16.jpg

This is nice, but I just had a listen to In Motion and that is a viiiiiiiibe, lovely stuff.  Just my kind of blippy, ethereal prog. 👍

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

This is nice, but I just had a listen to In Motion and that is a viiiiiiiibe, lovely stuff.  Just my kind of blippy, ethereal prog. 👍

Cheers mate! Glad you liked it.

My production brain is currently leaning more and more towards ambient/ethereal techno than dub for the minute (it's a constant pendulum) so I'm probably going to be making more of that style in the following months haha.

Edited by osmark86

Oh, this is fun. Spotify's algorithms have come up with a 'Mike Mooney Radio' playlist, based on what it thinks is in the same ballpark as my stuff. I'm quite impressed by their choices, tbh.

Link

On 03/04/2024 at 08:47, osmark86 said:

Been mucking about with some dub techno for a while. If that's your cup of tea (as it should be), then by all means have a listen :)

https://signalen.bandcamp.com/

Brother, some of this is SUBLIME. I hope you're getting this out there to the DJs, because it's worthy of it

• Thanks 1

On 12/04/2024 at 21:13, T-Dog said:

Brother, some of this is SUBLIME. I hope you're getting this out there to the DJs, because it's worthy of it

Cheers! Guess I need to know some DJs first lol. If you know any, please send them to my stuff 😉

Edited by osmark86

Â