The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

I like the headstocks on the seagul acoustics, dead narrow, like a Dano, not everyone's cup o' tea mind. They sound nice and that's the most important thing.

I love Supro electrics guitars, though I don't own one. Never used to be able to get hold of them in the uk at all, not sure if that's still the case. They've gained in popularity with bands like, The Black Keys, The White Stripes and Seasick Steve using them.

Good spot on my Seagull. The narrow headstock is about the only thing I'm not too keen on TBH. Lovely guitar. 

Never played a Supro, can't decide whether I like the look of them or not. 

She looks a beauty alright 'MrDuck' and the best of luck with it.

I know your buying to play it but it will be money well spent in the long run as if you ever are in need of a few pennies a quality instrument will always stand by you.

Are you going to get a pro setup done on it or is it already good to go for you?

The guy I bought it from is one of Melbourne's top guitar people, runs a vintage guitar shop.. and this was his personal guitar - so it's already setup perfectly! Recent re-fret too. 

The only problem I've now discovered is it makes all my other acoustics sound a bit shit.

This was my Gibson J 45. A real looker but crap tone and i was glad to get rid of it.

o4l5.jpg

I like a nice sunburst :)

Funny things, acoustics. My Epiphone sounds really good with 13-56 strings - but I tried dropping down to 12-52s, and it sounded awful.

I know your buying to play it but it will be money well spent in the long run as if you ever are in need of a few pennies a quality instrument will always stand by you.

Are you going to get a pro setup done on it or is it already good to go for you?

The guy I bought it from is one of Melbourne's top guitar people, runs a vintage guitar shop.. and this was his personal guitar - so it's already setup perfectly! Recent re-fret too. 

The only problem I've now discovered is it makes all my other acoustics sound a bit shit.

Why don't you sell your other acoustics to grab some of the D28 money back?

Why don't you sell your other acoustics to grab some of the D28 money back?

Well I do 50-100 gigs a year, and I don't want to expose the Martin to that - it's a studio/writing guitar at this stage of it's career I think :)  So I'll keep the Epiphone for live work. I got a little money as an inheritance, so I don't need to worry about making back the cash which is nice - and rare!

• 1 month later...

On my way to hobgoblin music now to buy my new banjo, I have one in mind that I think I will go for but I'm gunna spend a good while playing others to see if anything else takes my fancy, I don't have much of a budget just £400 or £450 absolute maximum.

Cant wait to get it purchased and get it home, I'll be playin like Earle Scruggs within a week I tells ya

My daughter is getting into bluegrass and wants a mandolin. I'm willing to subsidise, but we both think that the f-style shape looks way cooler than the a-shape (mando/bluegrass fans will know what I'm talking about).

Trouble is, f-mandos cost WAY more than a's (for no justifiable reason, really) for equivalent quality ranges.

• 2 months later...

I've moved my music room up to the attic.

DSC_0142.JPG

The Seagull was having a holiday in the living room at the time. 

These pictures should be banned.

I can't play a note but always get a semi at the mere sight of musical instruments.

Anyone got any of naked saxophones?

What sort of tape-recorders are those - Akai? 

The less said about my response to reel-to-reels the better?

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Bottom one's an Akai, top one's a Sony. I've got a Fostex 250 4-track cassette mixer/recorder lying around somewhere, too. 

They're all just 'heirlooms' from my old band, waiting for the day when I get around to digitising the hours of recordings I've got on tape. 

As Don Corleone said, "This day may never come".  <_<

Bottom one's an Akai, top one's a Sony. I've got a Fostex 250 4-track cassette mixer/recorder lying around somewhere, too. 

Are the reel-to-reels both direct-drive?

The Fostex is very collectable as there aren't that many around compared with the Tascam Portastudios, these days.

Â