The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

I haven't played a banjo for years, quite fancy getting one. Especially as my daughter is thinking about getting (i.e. dropping hints that she would like me to buy her) a mandolin.

Moonman, how much did you used to play it? did you just knock about on it or did you learn how to play it properly (bluegrass/scuggs style)

It has always shocked me how difficult they are to play I would have thought the guitar was tougher but I was pretty wrong about that, everything about the banjo is more difficult, from actually fretting to getting used to the position you have to play in and even just getting used to playing with the finger picks but I would say that I get more enjoyment out of learning the banjo than I do actually playing the guitar (that may just be due to the music that I listen to these days though)

Moonman, how much did you used to play it? did you just knock about on it or did you learn how to play it properly (bluegrass/scuggs style)

It has always shocked me how difficult they are to play I would have thought the guitar was tougher but I was pretty wrong about that, everything about the banjo is more difficult, from actually fretting to getting used to the position you have to play in and even just getting used to playing with the finger picks but I would say that I get more enjoyment out of learning the banjo than I do actually playing the guitar (that may just be due to the music that I listen to these days though)

Oh, just knockabout - I was trying to play Bluegrass, but I always ended up handing it back to its owner and going back to my guitar. I can bluff Carter style flatpicking on that.

Yeah I'm learning on the bluegrass side of things at the moment it's tedious as **** to start with but you only need to pick up a couple of rolls and you can start getting the rite sound once you build your speed up.

By the way Mooney you can pick up a mandolin for £45 on amazon (I was looking at them the other day but had to stop myself from ordering one)

Gig was pretty good. Ended up counting myself in for White Room and it was OK. Had had a few pints, so it all came quite easily on the night. Enjoyed it, even though it might sound a bit ropey there. Headphones are key....

And we do do the wah wah solo on White Room. We've got some pretty talented members of the band, mostly in the guitar dept, and some not so talented ones.

That's a wicked song. Good job of the vocals, it's hard one to sing. 

I like your guitarist too. 

.... you can pick up a mandolin for £45 on amazon (I was looking at them the other day but had to stop myself from ordering one)

Pay more to avoid disappointment.

• Like 2

.... you can pick up a mandolin for £45 on amazon (I was looking at them the other day but had to stop myself from ordering one)

Pay more to avoid disappointment.

Yeah it was one of them "Oohhh that's nice and cheap I could get one of them to get myself started"

However that's all it was

I find quality of instrument can make a big difference to the enthusiasm of fledgling musicians. Of course, it's a difficult balance, because you don't want to throw a lot of money on something that may only be a passing hobby. However, I find with cheap guitars, musicians feel as if they are not achieving a good sound or a sound anywhere near like what they're hearing other's produce. 

We all know, a good musician can make any instrument sound good, however I would always recommend, personally, to buy the best you can afford. 

• Like 1

yeah I agree completely as I say it would have merely been a case of buying it to see what the crack was and if I would want to carry on with it.

I think my first guitar was a shitty spanish was that my mate gave me, I restrung it with steel strings and taught myself on that only for a few months before spending £350 on a tanglewood acoustic and then kicked on massively from there.

My guitar is bloody good and whilst it didn't cost the earth it wasn't cheap.

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

I'd say that - for decent, 'mid-range' instruments - prices have dropped and quality increased over the last 20 years or so. The very top end are still exorbitant, and there is still plenty of ultra-cheap ultra-crap about, but it's never been a better time to buy if you pay a little extra. 

Soooo guitar amps. What you got and what would you recommend? I'm after a combo tube amp and the Blackstar range has caught my eye for tone, features and affordability. In an ideal world I'd like and Orange rockerverb, but they are expensive.

Currently rocking a Marshall MG series, much better than their more recent transistor amps with really good dirty sounds but muddy cleans. I don't mind it but it's been gigged a lot and rattles.

I've got a bog standard Marshall amp that cost me about £80 or £90 a few years back, I don't really play my electric these days so the amp gets used to play my iPod through it when I'm having a drink on the roof lol

• Like 1

Soooo guitar amps. What you got and what would you recommend? I'm after a combo tube amp and the Blackstar range has caught my eye for tone, features and affordability. In an ideal world I'd like and Orange rockerverb, but they are expensive.

Ah a Blackstar eh !  Have a look at this geezer, Dave Ball from Sutton Coldfield. I played with him in the 60's -but he was out of my league really!

Now lives near Burton on Trent - I went for a bit of a jam with him a last year.http://youtu.be/__KN0gW8vkg

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1

Ah a Blackstar eh !  Have a look at this geezer, Dave Ball from Sutton Coldfield. I played with him in the 60's -but he was out of my league really!

Now lives near Burton on Trent - I went for a bit of a jam with him a last year.http://youtu.be/__KN0gW8vkg

Is that the Dave Ball who used to be in Procol Harum? Great player.

Is that the Dave Ball who used to be in Procol Harum? Great player.

Yep certainly is. I have known him since about 1966 and we played (briefly) in a band around that time and got back in touch about 2 years ago. He also played in B/ham rock band 'Bedlam' with a certain Cozy Powell on drums - so he moved on a bit from me !!!  'Bedlam supported Black Sabbath on a Tour in the U.S.

An interesting anecdote is that, when I played with him, he had a Watkins Rapier which was a sort of poor mans Strat. He used to get that Elmore James 'bottleneck' sound by actually using a Vimto bottle. God I've been lucky to play with some great musos considering my limited ability !

Edited by veloman

Â