The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

http://youtu.be/etZ-JVFjQoo

This was my band from 1972/73, recorded at ZELLA studios in Edgbaston IIRC.

Probably sounds dated (or just crap) to many VT'ers now.

We used to play at the Opposite Lock (now defunct I guess) in Gas Street on a Friday night.

The keyboard player in the band went on to fame and fortune in that he worked for Yamaha and helped develop the DX7.

Cool

Groovy, I like this. Sounds like Jethro Tull at the start.

Agreed. I'd probably sack the drummer though.

I sing in a covers band. We're awful and play music I hate. I have to learn Sweet Emotion by Monday evening. I'd rather eat my own face

You sound just like my son, currently doing a Btec in music performance and as part of a band having to learn one song after another week after week that he dislikes and usually they don't suit his voice or style of singing, Not such a problem in itself if the band were able to cover them in an original way but they are told they have to be in the same style a the original. then the lecturers wonder why they make a half arsed attempt, At times it seems like the lecturers are on a mission to drain all the passion out of them

http://youtu.be/etZ-JVFjQoo

This was my band from 1972/73, recorded at ZELLA studios in Edgbaston IIRC.

Probably sounds dated (or just crap) to many VT'ers now.

We used to play at the Opposite Lock (now defunct I guess) in Gas Street on a Friday night.

The keyboard player in the band went on to fame and fortune in that he worked for Yamaha and helped develop the DX7.

Cool

Groovy, I like this. Sounds like Jethro Tull at the start.

Agreed. I'd probably sack the drummer though.

I sing in a covers band. We're awful and play music I hate. I have to learn Sweet Emotion by Monday evening. I'd rather eat my own face

You sound just like my son, currently doing a Btec in music performance and as part of a band having to learn one song after another week after week that he dislikes and usually they don't suit his voice or style of singing, Not such a problem in itself if the band were able to cover them in an original way but they are told they have to be in the same style a the original. then the lecturers wonder why they make a half arsed attempt, At times it seems like the lecturers are on a mission to drain all the passion out of them

I take your point, but he will probably be glad of it in the long run.

It's good discipline, learning to play and sing in different styles, even (perhaps especially) ones you don't like.

Mr Mooney makes complete sense. Poliphony was perhaps 'jazz/rock', the band I played in before (who have their name on the wall of the Livepool Cavern) was heavy rock (for the time) and the band I played in after played everything - much of which I loathed. Birdy Dance anyone ? But  .  it made me versatile .. although it didn't make me into Carl Palmer !

So - by the time I was 30 I had a handle on pop, disco, strict tempo etc etc.  If one wants longevity in music I reckon it is important to be versatile.

As an example; we once appeared on the same bill as Brotherhood of Man (sorry !); their backing band were amazing, warming up playing Herbie Hancock's 'Chameleon' !

None of the above makes me any good or even an expert; it is just my opinion based on some experience.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Jammed with the band tonight. Our drummer is fairly poor. He's reactive to what other people are playing rather than being the metronome. We play White Room by Cream. At the beginning of every verse, there's a snare hit, next two beats is my singing and then the rest of the band join in. Just the drummer always misses the snare hit. Always too late and then the rest of the band have come in and I'm behind. The rest of the band are following their own rhythm and ignoring the drummer which is catastrophic. And if I miss the start of the verse it's quite hard to recover.

• Like 1

Jammed with the band tonight. Our drummer is fairly poor. He's reactive to what other people are playing rather than being the metronome. We play White Room by Cream. At the beginning of every verse, there's a snare hit, next two beats is my singing and then the rest of the band join in. Just the drummer always misses the snare hit. Always too late and then the rest of the band have come in and I'm behind. The rest of the band are following their own rhythm and ignoring the drummer which is catastrophic. And if I miss the start of the verse it's quite hard to recover.

Should get this guy:

878.gif

That's unfortunate, as the drumming is a major feature of White Room.

Do you do the wah-wah solo?

As a former paid-up member of the drummer's union I have to sympathise with your man. Little beats/accents like this can be a nightmare, which I certainly never mastered completely. I give you the example of the snare drum note in Born To Be wild - Steppenwolf; there is one little note just before the middle 8 comes in which use to drive me mad. 

As regards White room; I think those  opening bars are in 5/4 time so if your man counts the beats from the opening chord, I think he will find that the accent is on the 3rd beat of 5.

Hope that helps but I could be wrong of course. Baker was/is an ace player wasn't he ?

Edited by veloman

Ginger was capable of appalling excesses (like most drummers of that era, TBF). But when he was disciplined he was peerless. Some of his playing on the studio half of Wheels of Fire is just perfection.

Anyone use Pro Tools 10 to record their own songs at home?

unfortunately not, I've used Cubase with my son, but only because he was able to get Cubase 7 with a full licence for about 190 pound, only experience of Pro Tools is an hour or so in a studio with a producer who is a friend of the wifes.

Should get this guy:

878.gif

The tone of his kit

tumblr_inline_mlu2jezfdl1qz4rgp.gif

Gig was pretty good. Ended up counting myself in for White Room and it was OK. Had had a few pints, so it all came quite easily on the night. Enjoyed it, even though it might sound a bit ropey there. Headphones are key....

And we do do the wah wah solo on White Room. We've got some pretty talented members of the band, mostly in the guitar dept, and some not so talented ones.

Edited by yillan
  • Like 3

You sing fine, but your backing vocalists don't.

And take your hands out of your pockets and look like you care! ;)

Aaaaanyway...

I want some advice from you home recording experts. As I mentioned upthread, I'm planning to get myself some recording gear. The last time I did any of this stuff was about 30 years ago - tapes!

My plan is to use a digital "studio in a box" recorder (almost certainly a Zoom R24), rather than purely DAW on a computer, but I'm guessing it would be a good idea to get a dedicated laptop as well for various 'post production' work. So what laptop would you recommend on a tight budget?

Any advice welcome, as I'm starting from scratch here.

My plan is to use a digital "studio in a box" recorder (almost certainly a Zoom R24), rather than purely DAW on a computer, but I'm guessing it would be a good idea to get a dedicated laptop as well for various 'post production' work. So what laptop would you recommend on a tight budget?

Any advice welcome, as I'm starting from scratch here.

I used to use a Yamaha "studio in a box" many years ago. Great bit of kit, but a little limited. Switched over to an iMac which gives me a lot more options in terms of production tools and far less fiddly. My mac is  dedicated to audio and film work... in years gone by it was pretty much essential to have a dedicated machine for this sort of stuff, especially on PC, but I don't know if that's still the case?

In terms of pure quality, one of the most important parts of the equation is getting decent mics. You'll generally get what you pay for. If you're just multi-tracking yourself rather than recording live with other musicians, you can get away with one decent condenser mic that'll give you a great sound from acoustic instruments and vocals.  

Yeah, I know about the mics and all that. The new digital recorders are - I understand - much better than the old ones. And I prefer physical sliders, etc.

But I expect I will be working with a combination of SIAB and DAW - what I'm after is advice on laptops, what to prioritise. Like, do I need an external soundcard, given that I'll be using the SIAB for my main recording, etc.

Â