The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Been meaning to post some pics on here for a while.

DSCN0021_zpsf96a6f38.jpg?t=1388337434

'68 Reissue MIJ Strat.

DSCN0022_zpsa0d546ab.jpg?t=1388337542

Cheeky Villa sticker on the back, p*sses everybody off at Uni B)

DSCN0023_zps0269ade7.jpg?t=1388337660

Warwick Corvette

DSCN0018_zps1c51e183.jpg?t=1388337309

May post some more of my other stuff at some point, but these are definitely my favourite bits of kit :)

nice gear. Who are your influences that made you want to play?

Thanks  :)  In terms of influences that made me want to pick up the guitar, I think I remember just randomly deciding that I wanted to learn to play bass when I was about 11, because I thought it was a cool instrument. Since then, year after year, I just ended up with more and more gear to the point that I'm struggling to store it all. I don't think any player ever stops wanting new gear, even if the wallet says otherwise  :P .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here with any experience of Blackstar amps. They have a range with some built in effects, the "i" range it is. i was looking at a 30watt amp that they do. Now i'm no expert, so i don't know anything about them, but the sound wasn't bad. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Nick

P.S. The sound i'm looking for is a little bit Gilmour/Rotheryesque, if that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just scored a 1969 Laney Klipp 100 amp head, as used by Tony Iommy on the early black sabbath albums. It's absolutely mint and 100% original having had very little use since new. The EL34 valves sound amazing, there is absolutely no buzz or hum. When driven you really get that Iommi overdrive sound.

With it I also got an early 70's Channute Kansas built Kuston 4x12 cab, and they're bloody loud. The whole lot £50 quid, yes you read that right, fifty (five-o) quid!!!

Well chuffed!

• Like 2

I've just scored a 1969 Laney Klipp 100 amp head, as used by Tony Iommy on the early black sabbath albums. It's absolutely mint and 100% original having had very little use since new. The EL34 valves sound amazing, there is absolutely no buzz or hum. When driven you really get that Iommi overdrive sound.

With it I also got an early 70's Channute Kansas built Kuston 4x12 cab, and they're bloody loud. The whole lot £50 quid, yes you read that right, fifty (five-o) quid!!!

Well chuffed!

And so you should be!

Look what I got for my birthday!  :wub:

IMG_20140130_221504311.jpg

What type of guitar is that mate?

It's a lap steel (slide guitar). Always fancied getting one, but I never mentioned it - my kids are geniuses. 

As for the amp suggested above, I just bought one of these: 

61jJePdpX8L._SX385_.jpg

Orange Crush CR20

It's a little belter. 

Look what I got for my birthday!  :wub:

IMG_20140130_221504311.jpg

What type of guitar is that mate?

It's a lap steel (slide guitar). Always fancied getting one, but I never mentioned it - my kids are geniuses. 

As for the amp suggested above, I just bought one of these: 

61jJePdpX8L._SX385_.jpg

Orange Crush CR20

It's a little belter. 

Doh!

I should have guessed by the lack of cut-away; I had wondered how you would play those lower frets.

Do REM use that amp?  ;)

• Like 1

I picked my banjo up today for the first time in ages today, been about 2 months since I last played it.

Its been great fun, I am hooked again, started playing my guitar and just found it boring plucked a few notes on my banjo and I was grinning like an idiot banging my way through Cripple creek, I walk the line and freight train.

**** awesome, I cant wait to get home from work tomorrow so I can get back on it

27zz1pg.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone in here got any advice on mic's?

I often record myself when I am playing because it just helps to hear if I am improving and what sections of certain songs I need to pay more attention.

The only problem is that when I record my banjo using my laptop mic it sounds horrible, I have tried moving it further away and even when I play it softly it still sounds awful.

Are USB mic's any good and how much should I expect to pay for a decent low end one, it doesn't need to be anything special at all I just literally want to be able to get a decent clear recording of my playing

Dunno if I'm the best one to advise, but I have a few directional mikes (a fairly decent Sennheiser and a couple of no name cheapies). 

They're the sort that bands use on stage, like this: 

mof5f0z4cYEbujy375ezfbg.jpg

They have XLR to jackplug connectors, but I know you can get USB versions - Google is your friend, I guess. 

I also have a nice condenser mike for vocals (but a directional should be fine for recording instruments). 

Or perhaps you could get a contact pickup for the banjo? 

Edited by mjmooney

Â