The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Played an unbelievable gig the other night. Absolutely delighted with how it went. All 6 members in the band are from the class and then 50 people from the class also showed up. Ended up playing to 80 friends of ours for 80 minutes. Everyone was pretty hammered, including me, so dancing, singing along, crowd surfing, male nudity, underwear throwing etc was all going on. Pretty excellent. Played an encore and then engineered extending the encore into another chorus.. Had to be cut off by the sound guy because we were all set to keep playing... After you play a gig, people want to buy you shots. i know that now. After that things get a little fuzzy.

Setlist:

Reptlila

Float On

Go with the Flow

Roulette (SOAD)

Where is my Mind

White Room

Message in a Bottle

Say it aint so

Little Sister (QOTSA)

Cherub Rock

Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Don't Fear the Reaper

Lonely Boy

Well done on Message In A Bottle. The guitar riff isn't easy to play and the vocal is a nightmare. Did you play it in the same key as 'The Police?'

Yeah in the same key. It is a bit of a nightmare to sing. Never entirely confident I'm going to hit the notes especially after having sung a bit already. That third verse note about not being alone in being alone is a killer. It's a real crowd pleaser and the sing along at the end is a highlight. As for the riff, we've good guitarists. One absolute champ

We're trying to get the gig for our faculty ball. 900 people in attendance. Could be fantastic. We're considering doing some short promo videos in preparation for it as well. All about convincing some clearings in the woods with more money than sense that a band of students playing for pints would be better appreciated than spending a grand on a band of pros.

Actually... can anyone think of a pub in Birmingham that might be amenable to a bit of live music some night if we came over with our guitars and that? Obviously they'd need a fairly comprehensive back line because we're not going to be able to drag a PA and drum kit across the water. Any ideas?

Have you tried Every Breath You Take by the Police. Great guitar riff again and slightly easier to sing except for the middle 8. Might not be the band's cup of tea though?

So Lonely is very easy to play (bascially four cords) and if you drop it down a little also fairly easy to sing.

Wasn't ever a great fan of 'The Police' but their songs always go down well and my trick was to leave them at the end of the set when you have the crowd going and then when you have to hit one of those difficult notes back off from it and let the crowd sing it.

Next To You was another Police song that we did and again not too difficult but a great crowd pleaser.

Off to collect a guitar soon that I've had my eye on after borrowing it for some recording seven years ago. 1975 Martin D28 acoustic. Yum!

Lucky sod 'MrDuck.'

I've been the owner of a Gibson J45 and also played on a Martin D28. Found the Gibson to be simply awful in comparison to the Martin D28 and it is now sold for a profit  :D . Such a sweet sweet tone from the Martin and i tip my hat to you sir.

Since its a 1975 i'm sure your paying close to two grand for it?

Edited by Morpheus

I think I've paid the equivalent of just under 2k in sterling, yeah. I'll stick some pics up tomorrow. Very well worn guitar, still with original case - which would seem to have been around most of North America judging by the stickers. The tone is simply exquisite <drools>. Once in a lifetime purchase this one. 

I have spent my lunchbreak finding simple guitar tabs for my neighbour

he's in his mid 50's and has been learning how to play for about 18 months now and has just grasped the G, D, C and A chords and now wants to move onto some simple tabs

I have done him Day tripper, Waterloo sunset, (I cant get no) satisfaction, Redemption song and a couple of simple blues licks

I have a feeling they are going to be too difficult for him, I asked him the other day how much practice he has been putting in, his reply way 'Oh I've been practicing loads more just lately, I play for at least 20 minutes at least twice a day' I wouldn't mind but he is unemployed and spends his day's drinking whiskey so its not like he doesn't have the time to pick his guitar up.

I have even offered to go round and teach him a few chords and help him with tablature but he thinks that 15 minutes is more than adequate to transform him into a modern day Jimi Hendrix

Really? In all fairness I think it depends on your schedule, if you are at work all day and live a generally busy life then yeah that will suffice, if you sit down and do **** all day and are serious about learning an instrument then you would be able to find more than 2 twenty minute sessions, I work all day and I would say that 3 out of 7 days of the week I manage to get two and half hours a night and the others I get at least an hour.

I think I've paid the equivalent of just under 2k in sterling, yeah. I'll stick some pics up tomorrow. Very well worn guitar, still with original case - which would seem to have been around most of North America judging by the stickers. The tone is simply exquisite <drools>. Once in a lifetime purchase this one. 

Look forward to the pics.

Looking at a Martin DX1 KAE at the moment for just over the £300 which is more than fair. I'm close to pulling the trigger on it as its a super guitar having played one before but i'm green with envy at your purchase of the D28.

Some pics. Impossible to do it justice though!  The top is extremely well "weathered", but the rest of the guitar is pretty immaculate. 

601696_10200121345301302_1857526767_n.jp

65013_10200121345261301_1497537058_n.jpg

Case has seen some action...

1012349_10200121345861316_526811868_n.jp

• Like 2

Looking at a Martin DX1 KAE at the moment for just over the £300 which is more than fair. I'm close to pulling the trigger on it as its a super guitar having played one before but i'm green with envy at your purchase of the D28.

I've never been one to spend a lot of money on instruments - my normal gigging acoustic is an Epiphone Masterbilt, excellent guitar but was only about $1,200. I've got a Fender Jazzmaster (Jap) too, another mid-range instrument. But I've been after this Martin 7 years... got some unexpected funds and thought right, it's really time to treat myself. :)

Edited by MrDuck
  • Like 1

She looks a beauty alright 'MrDuck' and the best of luck with it.

I know your buying to play it but it will be money well spent in the long run as if you ever are in need of a few pennies a quality instrument will always stand by you.

Are you going to get a pro setup done on it or is it already good to go for you?

I have a Yamaha FG730s and it gives me a lovely tone that I really enjoy. It has a lot of top end and I would like a parlour sized guitar that would give me a bit more of a trebly sound too. 

The Baja tele that I bought recently is a dream. Love it. 

Â