New Music 2013

Xann

DIdn't know Steve Mason had an album out this year, will check that out. I saw him live a couple of years back doing his revitalised solo thing and he was great.

Plus, regarding that Besnard Lakes - what is it with JagJaguwar over the past few years? Every single band they've signed or put a record out seems to be a goodun. I must check out that Unknown Mortal Orchestra II (or something like that) as people are raving about it.

Edited by islingtonclaret

DIdn't know Steve Mason had an album out this year, will check that out. I saw him live a couple of years back doing his revitalised solo thing and he was great.

Plus, regarding that Besnard Lakes - what is it with JagJaguwar over the past few years? Every single band they've signed or put a record out seems to be a goodun. I must check out that Unknown Mortal Orchestra II (or something like that) as people are raving about it.

Steve Mason told me off for talking when he was on stage on that tour :mrgreen:

The new Pissed Jeans album is pretty awesome, if you like that sort of thing.

Also, the latest IO album was released on 1st Jan so I can just about squeeze a mention of them into this topic, if you like heavy stuff with melodic post-rocky type bits click this: http://iomusic.bandcamp.com/ They've got to be my favourite band around Brum right now.

As for things to look forward to, Crash Of Rhinos, Axes, and a few other Brummie bands that have releases out (Sunrise Over Europe, Those Amongst Us Are Wolves).

Edit: Thought of some more local bands that have put out good releases lately:

Mauna Loa - Extremely short lived but cracking band, all very clean and proggy sounding: http://maunaloaband.bandcamp.com/

Cathodes - More instrumental stuff, but more gritty sounding. Was really impressed with this EP: http://cathodes.bandcamp.com/

Edited by kingysilvers
  • Like 2

New Camera Obscura album out this year...love this guys!

In all the talk of some good stuff (I've been picking up some bits and pieces from recommendations on here) I forgot that there is a 5% chance of the second album hitting us this year.

5%

Make that 4%

Some cool free albums/EPs from this year so far. Title links are samples on Youtube.

Sample based trip-hop-ish stuff with some south eastern vibes.

Download

Wonky, glitchy electronic. This guy's third great (and free) release in the 12 months or so.

Download

Hope Drone - Hope Drone

Atmospheric/post black metal.

Download

Piano based classical/post-rock.

Download

Of Solitude and Solemn - Of Solemn and Solitude

Atmospheric doom metal with very strong post-rock leanings. 

Download

Black metal/shoegaze. Only 9 minutes this EP...leaves you wanting more. They had an album last year so it's forgivable I guess.

Download

• Like 1

Â