World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

Yeah, Or Ian Wright.  Mind you Ian Wright's story is crazy, he was still playing Sunday league football when he was 21. 

http://youtu.be/xQ_MaGEFH8g

The first ten minutes is about his childhood and school life.  He starts talking about how he got into football after that, here if you are interested

Edited by The_Rev

Getting shellacked 6-0 by Brazil last month and then 6-0 by France last night is gonna cost you.

There's talk of Houllier or Bielsa being offered the job. Or even an Australian manager, but the smart money would probably be on Hiddink.

Getting shellacked 6-0 by Brazil last month and then 6-0 by France last night is gonna cost you.

There's talk of Houllier or Bielsa being offered the job. Or even an Australian manager, but the smart money would probably be on Hiddink.

6-0  flattered Australia.

It was 4-0 after 30 mins and 6-0 after 50.

Sacking should have come earlier - it was evident in the qualifiers that the squad (with an average age of 30) and their tactics was not going to cut it.

The smart move would be Hiddink

Sweden - Austria 2-1 ! Sweet! Playoff

Sweden are boring apart from Zlatan, you're still playing some of the guys who were at 2006 world cup.

Would've preferred to have seen Austria make the play offs.

Zlatan is carrying our team on his back. The 10 others might be boring but Zlatan is not. He gave Austria the same problem that England had with him.

Yeah, can't believe Anders Svensson is still getting a call up, must be in his 50s now!

Aussies are just paying for still playing the 2006 generation, loads of 30 + veterans in their squad. Be interesting if the new manager puts some more yoof in the squad.

Sweden - Austria 2-1 ! Sweet! Playoff

Sweden are boring apart from Zlatan, you're still playing some of the guys who were at 2006 world cup.

Would've preferred to have seen Austria make the play offs.

You can say that about all the other national teams aswell except Germany and Brazil.

I think Hiddink would be smart enough to steer well clear of the socceroos. He is s legend in our country for 2006 but I suspect that this current squad is beyond even his turd polishing skills and the only thing he could achieve would be a damaged reputation.

We need someone who is going to recreate the squad with a bit of balls to the wall ANZAC spirit, something only a local coach will be able to do.

• Like 1

The irony is that this Australia team has qualified for the world cup, but the teams in 98 and 2002 which were much much stronger have not. Ponky correct me if I'm wrong but were the 1998 team just as good as the 2006 team who got to the 2nd round? This is a poor Australia team with players th ewrong side of 30. First round exit for sure. 

Bad luck for the Ethiopians conceding a penalty in the final few minutes. As much as I'd love to see them at the world cup I can't see them taking anything away from the away leg.

Iceland 2-0 Cyprus, fully deserved. Sigþórsson and Sigurðsson.

Switzerland have qualified but it's between us and Slovenia for the playoff place. We are on 16 and have Norway away on Tuesday. Slovenia are on 15 points and have Switzerland away left.

Shiiiiiit this is going to be tight.

Think you are gonna win against us pretty easily for now. Our new coach has the right attitude but its far to early for now.

Â