World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

You can only beat whats put in front of you. Maybe Poland and Greece were poor, but Czech still had to win those games, and to say they were woeful because the two teams they beat weren't very good is ridiculous. When is all is said and done, they got to the quarter finals.

You can only beat whats put in front of you. Maybe Poland and Greece were poor, but Czech still had to win those games, and to say they were woeful because the two teams they beat weren't very good is ridiculous. When is all is said and done, they got to the quarter finals.

so its OK for the czechs but not the Swiss ;)

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 4

No the two scenarios are not the same. Switzerland repeatedly getting easy groups time after time because Sepp is dodgy as **** is not the same. Czechs are a decent team, the spine of that team is strong and I think they were well worthy of their place in the quarters.  You will probably disagree but I thought some of the football they played against Greece was top quality. Switzerland are below average.

Edited by Voinjama

but they are Denmark have been appalling in this qualifying campaign. In a not so difficult group they have won twice with 1 vs Malta and not won a home game yet

We do suck at the moment and were very lucky to win at Malta. 
Some strange selections from M. Olsen didn´t help but overall it´s a lack of quality. Bendtner is still our best striker by a distance and he is busy, destroying a career.

We do have decent kids coming through and a lot of hope is pinned on them.

Do you think Denmark will get 2nd place behind Italy in the group. Also why has the decline happened after a decent showing at Euro 2012. A win v Netherlands and should of got something from the Germany game too. Why the decline in such a short period of time?

Edited by Voinjama

Elo Ratings in Europe

1. Spain: 2104

2. Germany: 2023

3. Netherlands: 1966

4. England: 1926

5. Italy: 1907

6. Portugal: 1891

7. Sweden: 1850

8. Croatia: 1837

9. Belgium: 1831

10. France: 1820

11. Russia: 1818

12. Greece: 1792

13. Switzerland: 1789

14. Ukraine: 1781

15. Bosnia: 1737

16. Romania: 1729

17. Czechia: 1708

18. Ireland: 1702

19. Denmark: 1699

20. Norway: 1684

Fair DNB odds for Switzerland vs. Denmark would have Switzerland favorites and a moneyline of about -168/+167 (Switzerland would win about 1.68 times more than Denmark would win, head-to-head)

Edited by leviramsey

I said it at the time, Iceland had a cracking U21 side a couple of years ago and I could see them challenging to qualify for senior finals tournaments. Even if they don't end up qualifying, they're now genuinely competitive rather than a whipping boy.

They did what England never do. They kept that group of players together and kept them at that age group even though they were all probably better than the seniors. Because experience at competitive tournaments and togetherness was seen to be more beneficial in the long run. It's nothing like the scale of talent Belgium have, but it still qualifies as a golden generation for Iceland.

They actually have strength in depth in some positions which is incredible for their size, that Finbossan dude who's been linked with us and quite a few prem teams is only a reserve for the national team currently. 

In fairness Iceland have over the last 15 years produced some good players who've done well in the English game, Gudni Bergsson, Eidur Gudjonsson, Heidar Helguson, Greta Steinnson, Brynar Gunnarsson, bit like Wales in that the individual players have always been better than the sum of the parts.

Probably helps they've got a vastly experienced manager in charge in Largerback who I imagine has improved the squad with his knowledge. Can certainly seem them making a major tournament before too long, maybe one of the euros with the 24 teams.

Never the Swiss groups, Greece always seem to be in a shoe in group aswell. Is this still a legacy from them winning euro 2004 or something.

Awful that Bosnia sadly seem to be bottling it (lost 0-1 at home to Slovakia and play them away tomorrow) which means Greece will probably win the group now even if they're still only winning 1-0 against the might of Lichentstein.

Think Bosnia will only draw in Slovakia, Greece will win their last three. Really hope I'm wrong as no question Bosnia will be a much more interesting team to watch in the WC, new team aswell which I always like to see rather than the same old teams making it.

My reason for wanting Bosnia to qualify is that Greece are very dull, but also Bosnia's own little golden generation deserve a crack at a major tournament after being in Spain's group in 2010, then Frances group for Euro 2012 and then facing Portugal in the playoffs both times. They need to take advantage of this easier group.

but they are Denmark have been appalling in this qualifying campaign. In a not so difficult group they have won twice with 1 vs Malta and not won a home game yet

We do suck at the moment and were very lucky to win at Malta. 
Some strange selections from M. Olsen didn´t help but overall it´s a lack of quality. Bendtner is still our best striker by a distance and he is busy, destroying a career.

We do have decent kids coming through and a lot of hope is pinned on them.

Seems there'll be a managerial change at Denmark soon.

Denmark struggle now, but will be okey as soon as the guys around 20 years old get some more experience - especially Fischer and Eriksen

Bit like Czech Republic for me, still have some decent young players like Agger, Okore and Eriksson surrounded by mediocrity.

Their golden generation was the 90s really, Schemichel, Helveg, Laudrup brothers etc.

I think their peek was in 1998 when they played some very good football in the world cup.

Do you think Denmark will get 2nd place behind Italy in the group. Also why has the decline happened after a decent showing at Euro 2012. A win v Netherlands and should of got something from the Germany game too. Why the decline in such a short period of time?

I don´t think we will get that 2nd spot. The decline had started before 2012 with a number of players retiring that we couldn´t replace.
Jon Dahl Tomasson, Christian Poulsen, Jesper Gronkjaer etc. These guys are far from the best we have ever had, but still proved difficult to replace. Another problem is bad choices regarding clubs. We had alot of players with splinters in their arses.

After 2012 players like Rommedahl and Bendtner went missing as well. None of those should have been that hard to replace but they were a large part of the reason we qualified. At the moment we lack quality and/or competition in all positions except maybe CD.
Hopefully the Ajax-kids and others like Okore, Patrick Olsen and Pierre Emile Hojbjerg (If he doesn´t end up choosing to represent France) can improve us in the coming years. 

As for golden generation, we were considered a dark horse at Mexico 86. Most Danes consider that team the golden generation. (And M. Laudrup was part of that)

Never the Swiss groups, Greece always seem to be in a shoe in group aswell. Is this still a legacy from them winning euro 2004 or something.

Awful that Bosnia sadly seem to be bottling it (lost 0-1 at home to Slovakia and play them away tomorrow) which means Greece will probably win the group now even if they're still only winning 1-0 against the might of Lichentstein.

Bosnia in last few tournaments have bottled it from great positions

Switzerland are below average.

Careful or you'll lose credibility with statements like the above. It's one thing wondering why they keep getting 'easy' qualifying groups. It's quite another to claim that a country that consistently qualifies for finals tournaments is 'below average'. It's a bit of a silly thing to say.
  • Like 3

Â