World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

Oh yeah, the confusion came because the games were on the 19th UK time (1am in the morning) but the still the 18th in the CONCACAF region. Costa Rica won too. Pressure is on Mexico to grab that final spot.

Edited by Voinjama

The Socceroos will be on the plane to Brazil :cheers:

Watched their game last night in the local bar in South Australia, and boy did they make hard work of it. it was not a great quality of game, the weather was wet, but neither side looked to threaten much in the scoring stakes.

Great crowd - 80,500, though they were nervous till after the sub came on and scored with 10 mins left. Fair play to the Aussies, but they didn't look up to much, to me, in terms of being a threat to get out of a group in Brazil.

Yeah, we'll be lucky to pick up a point, depending on who we draw ofcourse.

It's an interesting time in Australian football.

Interest in the game has probably never been higher due to the success of the A League. I don't know if it will ever catch the AFL but the Rugby codes would be rightfully nervous, with soccer absolutely booming in rugby heartland.

The problem with the success of the A League is, that talented players stay in Australia because they can make a living here. A decade ago, the Australian NSL was not particularly successful and the only way to make it as a footballer was to move abroad, so leading into the 2006 World Cup, we had an entire squad full of players that had moved over to Europe as teenagers, learned and developed under top coaches, and it showed. 2006 was easily our greatest ever side.

Since then it seems like more talented kids are getting into their 20s and playing at A League clubs in the crucial stages of their development, which isn't good news IMO. We need to get these kids to Europe asap and leave the A League for players that are either in the twilight of their career or have gone over and given Europe a crack but haven't made it. 

However, the extra interest generated by the A League is certainly getting more kids to play the sport, so hopefully that will start to pay dividends in the next 10-15 years.

• Like 1

I kind of wish countries turn up with the majority of their squad based in their country. It would make teams an unknown quantity again. Now the majority of players play in Europe and everyone knows what to expect.

The last time I genuinely hadn't a clue about a team was North Korea. They were bloody awful but it was nice not knowing what to expect.

But while the highest standard remains in Europe it'll stay that way, I suppose.

I kind of wish countries turn up with the majority of their squad based in their country. It would make teams an unknown quantity again. Now the majority of players play in Europe and everyone knows what to expect.

The last time I genuinely hadn't a clue about a team was North Korea. They were bloody awful but it was nice not knowing what to expect.

But while the highest standard remains in Europe it'll stay that way, I suppose.

They weren't that bad against Brazil tbf..

We won't make it out of our group but the World Cup is more fun if you are represented.

all depends who you get. could get drawn in a group with switzerland and Honduras for example. Id fancy Australia to get close in that

Has anyone else noticed how USA and Australia have more passionate home fans than England?

Maybe it's because they play their matches all around the country and we always play at Wembley.

It mainly seems to be families and casual type fans who are at Wembley for England games.

What happened to these fans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr__-KqnfQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWBR_W1gKDw

Hopefully they'll be back for the Scotland game in August.

I would laugh my ass off if Honduras and Panama finished above Mexico...

I was just about to ask why? Then I saw your location. Me personally I would rather have Mexico in the tournament then not, as a regard them as 1 of the top 32 nations in world football. Their problem is scoring goals, which is surprising when you look at their main 2 strikers.

Edited by Voinjama

Has anyone else noticed how USA and Australia have more passionate home fans than England?

I think it's also to do with how the country view's its national team. 

From reading England threads on here, it comes across to me as though many people just don't care about their national team anymore. They don't give a stuff because:

1. the national team have disappointed the fans on too many occasions before, or

2. the player's don't seem to care/value playing for their country, or

3. the English media love to see the national team fail

I think in Australia, and in many other countries, playing for your country is still the highest honour, both for players and fans. That's why the fans get behind the team. England's players are seen to be making excuses not to play for their country.

Again, that's just how it comes across to me as an outsider.

• Like 3

I'd love to see the World cup in Australia one day, far too sensible idea though giving it to an emerging football country when Qatar is available....

I wouldnt. Id like to actually watch the games at reasonable hours

• Like 1

I'd love to see the World cup in Australia one day, far too sensible idea though giving it to an emerging football country when Qatar is available....

We'd do a great job hosting it, the weather would be perfect. We have the stadiums and if you put each group in a different state it would be a great trip for fans. Its a bit of a joke how few votes we got.

• Like 1

Not everyone lives in Europe you know :D

Edited by legov

Like we have to when it's in Europe... ;)

Well Japorea got one so that's close in terms of timezone. It could definitely happen. Purely selfishly I'd rather it didn't, for obvious reasons.

Â