World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

true but in fairness I would assume Europe is the main part of FIFA financial business for TV rights so doubt they would do something to disrupt that.

USA 94 final was played at aroung 7pm Uk time in the dead heat and I remember 2002 was played at 12pm just so European audiences could watch. not sure what a good time it would be in Oz for European TV audiences

9pm UK/Ireland is 6am in Sydney

9 pm Sydney is 11am in Uk/Ireland.

not exactly great pub times for the Sydney 9pm

9pm Sydney is midday. That's pretty 'reasonable' to me.

In a weird sort of way I love the obscure kick off times when the world cup is outside Europe. It adds to the exoticness (is that even a word) of it. Wathing a live game at 6.30 in the morning like I did for the Argentina Nigeria game in 2002.

Edited by Voinjama

It's probably marginally less likely now that the World Cup will visit the Far East, given that Europe is still by far the main TV market and between economic growth in Latin America and the combination wealth and growing interest in North America (as it stands, the USA is now the biggest single market for World Cup TV rights, largely because the USA is the largest market for sports television rights to begin with and it's one of the few markets where the World Cup is largely on pay TV).

Yes, I for one can't wait for the Qatar 2022 world cup. If only out of morbid curiosity as to how such an atrocious decision can manifest as a finals tournament :D

• 1 month later...
Â