World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

A huge part of the problem is that it is very difficult for a team to jump up from one pot to the above as they keep being drawn against strong opponents. That is unless they have a proper golden generation, like Belgium does right now. I don't think there should be 6 pots for the draw. There should be only two - one for the group leaders and all other teams should be in a single pot. So what if Malta, San Marino and the Faroe get drawn in the same group? Let them earn some points fair and square.

Unfortunately that goes against the very strong influence of bigger sides staying big and being given a free ride. I don't like bringing it up again, BUT, the fact that for the South African world cup, UEFA decided AFTER THE QUALIFICATION PHASE HAD BEEN COMPLETED* to seed the European playoffs because France (Michel Platini *cough*) ended up in them (and were never supposed to be) tells you exactly how likely it is for them to undo any kind of advantage. If anything, they will make it even more restrictive when they feel like it.

* I.O.W. they were not seeded.

Switzerland actually have a young and exciting team.

Youngsters like Shaqiri, Stocker, Xhaka and Seferovic and then more experienced players like Barnetta, Inler, Behrami and Derdiyok. History means nothing and I think this is by far the best team Switzerland has ever had.

I know they have an easy group but before that game they had only conceded one goal in all their games. I'm very happy that Iceland managed to do the incredible and get a point from a lost game but that was a one off for Switzerland.

2006 they had France and Ireland who were much better team than. also beat a good Turkey team in a play-off

2010  they had Greece who were decent back then and eventually qualified

2004 - had Ireland who had a good world cup and a dangerous russian team

Edited by Zatman

Agree, BOF, but the bigger sides would still get advantage if they have a pot for group leaders. I don't think the current model is even commercially successful as most groups aren't competitive in the slightest. Out of 20 or so games in a day for all groups only 2 or 3 are actually interesting to the neutral observer. I can't imagine TVs would pay too much for the right to show Ukraine play San Marino or Germany the Faroe Islands. If they allow for some sort of an actual draw they might actually get some very decent and competitive groups that would draw interest and commercial income.

Most of the people I know find these international weekends extremely boring, and with good reason.

2010 they had Greece, Israel, Moldova, Luxembourg and Latvia

2014 they have Norway, Slovenia, Iceland and Cyprus

2 free passes for the last 2 world cup's. Ridiculously easy groups, compare that to what Ukraine have had.

When Switzerland qualify, and England or Portugal don't (its a possibility) you will understand.

Anyway I'm sure you are all bored of my rants about Switzerland. I have nothing againt the Swiss, a beautiful country with friendly people, but that national team has got a free pass to the last 2 world cups. Their team is not strong at all.

If you had to list the top 13 European teams currently, would you include Switzerland - probably not.

German tv do pay big money for their games.

problem with open draw is that the World Cup is the biggest money spinner of all. example an open draw had Germany, Engladn adn France in same group. would be chaotic for FIFA as they are 3 of biggest commercial areas for World Cup

If I had to write down the top 13 teams in Europe currently, I would not have Switzerland.

FIFA rankings has them at 11th in Europe, not sure how many teams ranked behind them are actually better.

Perhaps Russia and France (Bosnia are already above the Swiss, and England), but that would still place them among top 13.

From seeing both recently I can definitely say the Swiss are better than Denmark (and Sweden for that matter, although Zlatan can make difference) at the moment.

Haven't seen Bulgaria but it would surprise me even if they are improving, if they're so good then prove it on the pitch, The swiss has done so with their current good generation of players.

Think you're underrating Switzerland, they're nothing special but do deserve their current position. Lucky draw this time around, which they still can mess up if Norway win tomorrow.

From their group I'd say that both Albania and Iceland are also improving teams, although they haven't got anything to do in a World Cup.

Finland had utterly rotten luck with the qualification group, both Spain and France in it, instead of countries like Norway, Greece, Slovenia or Slovakia. With much better luck Finland could've had real chance of getting through as we have very good manager and our national team is probably best one since our 'golden generation' in late 90s and early 2000s.

Greatly OT: Winter sports...not anymore. Our only real medal hopes for Olympics in spring are basically one athlete in biathlon and men and women ice hockey and that's it. Our cross-country skiing has been in huge downward spiral for the past decade and we don't really have anyone to compete for medals in ski jump unless someone really pushes above their weight which I can't see happening at all given how utter shit finns have been in preparations for big competitions in the past ten years or so.

We've fallen way behind our competitors in last 10-13 years partly because lack of funding and huge doping scandal in cross-country skiing didn't help.

We went from basically competing for one or two medals for every distance in cross-country skiing to "LOL no chance in hell!".

If I had to write down the top 13 teams in Europe currently, I would not have Switzerland.

FIFA rankings has them at 11th in Europe, not sure how many teams ranked behind them are actually better.

Perhaps Russia and France (Bosnia are already above the Swiss, and England), but that would still place them among top 13.

From seeing both recently I can definitely say the Swiss are better than Denmark (and Sweden for that matter, although Zlatan can make difference) at the moment.

Haven't seen Bulgaria but it would surprise me even if they are improving, if they're so good then prove it on the pitch, The swiss has done so with their current good generation of players.

Think you're underrating Switzerland, they're nothing special but do deserve their current position. Lucky draw this time around, which they still can mess up if Norway win tomorrow.

From their group I'd say that both Albania and Iceland are also improving teams, although they haven't got anything to do in a World Cup.

Fair assessment Rosentahl, but I'm surprised you think Sui are better than Denmark.

Greatly OT: Winter sports...not anymore. Our only real medal hopes for Olympics in spring are basically one athlete in biathlon and men and women ice hockey and that's it. Our cross-country skiing has been in huge downward spiral for the past decade and we don't really have anyone to compete for medals in ski jump unless someone really pushes above their weight which I can't see happening at all given how utter shit finns have been in preparations for big competitions in the past ten years or so.

We've fallen way behind our competitors in last 10-13 years partly because lack of funding and huge doping scandal in cross-country skiing didn't help.

We went from basically competing for one or two medals for every distance in cross-country skiing to "LOL no chance in hell!".

Well, that just leaves more medals for us Canadians ;)

but they are Denmark have been appalling in this qualifying campaign. In a not so difficult group they have won twice with 1 vs Malta and not won a home game yet

I think the overall standard of that group is the strongest. Italy Euro 2012 finalists, Czech Republic, Euro 2012 quarter finalists, Denmark usually qualify for tournaments and nearly got to quarter finals of Euro 2012 and even the supposed minnow in that group is decent in Armenia. Armenia have won in Prague and Copenhagen. Also Bulgaria are the most under rated team in Europe, they will finish 2nd. What other group has sides of this calibre?

really? Bulgaria have shown nothing to be underrated or will finish 2nd. Czech are finished as a force were woeful last summer. Malta are a poor team they are the minnows there and have even picked up a few points. 

incidentally this group is 8th out of 9 in the 2nd place groups so whoever comes 2nd might not make playoffs

Czech Republic woeful last summer? They won 2 out of 3 group games and got to the quarter finals. Bulgaria have picked up some decent results recently in both qualifiers and friendlies. I think they will come 2nd in the group. Anyway we are going around in circles here, lets just wait and see what happens.

Â