World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

I like Australia being at world cups. I just wish they'd do a little bit better when they get there. I don't mean that nastily. They just never seem to give it a good go from what I can see. It used to be that they weren't battle-ready, having come out of the retarded Oceanic group, but now coming out of Asia they've no (or rather less of an) excuse.

I like Australia being at world cups. I just wish they'd do a little bit better when they get there. I don't mean that nastily. They just never seem to give it a good go from what I can see. It used to be that they weren't battle-ready, having come out of the retarded Oceanic group, but now coming out of Asia they've no (or rather less of an) excuse.

We have only made 2 world cups in recent history (and 3 in total, 1974). 

The 2006 world cup we had our best ever side and our best performance (of the 3 times we have been there). We qualified from our group which contained Croatia, Brazil and Japan but went out in the knockout stages to evential winners Italy (who beat us with a last min penatly from a dive by Grosso :rant: )

2010 we were poor. The squad was awful (and still is) and the side are still trying to transition from the good team in 2006. 

Overall we have had 1 good tournament and one bad one from the 2 times we have made it in the modern era. 

Iran still need to win in Korea.

btw that Croatia vs Australia game was one of best game of 2006. not for skill but for effort and entertainment pity people only remember that idiot POll

Iran still need to win in Korea.

btw that Croatia vs Australia game was one of best game of 2006. not for skill but for effort and entertainment pity people only remember that idiot POll

I was at that game. Behind the goal when Kalac let a soft shot go over his hands.

It was the most tense atmosphere I have ever experienced with the Croatian ultras up the other end with their megaphones and flares.  

Aussies did fine in 2006 imo.

In 2010 they were quite unlucky not to qualify. Thought it was a really tough group but Serbs flopped and there wasn't much between them and Ghana.

Doubt they'll do much in 2014 as their squad is in major transition between young and old.

Denmark getting a hiding at home to Armenia who lost at home to Malta the other day.

be a pity the World Cup wont have Eriksen and some other talented youngsters and on their Denmark are a very decent team and showed this by holding their own in Euro 2012 

Meh, somehow we managed to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the season when they won the Champions League and we had Alex McLeish as manager.  Sometimes freaky results happen. 

I thought Australia did well in 2006, they were in a tough group with Brazil and Croatia and got through. They went to the eventual champions of that tournament. 2006 they were good. But 2010 they were not great.

I have just seen the Denmark result.  I think that is the biggest shock result of the qualifiers so far. An even bigger shock then Croatia losing to Scotland. WOW is all I can say.

not that big a shock. Armenia gave a similar beating to Slovakia 2 years ago when they got to 2nd round of World Cup previous year.

Denmark are a team in transition and might have to sacrifce their long serving coach

Zatman we always seem to disagree when it comes to international football. I think Denmark losing at home 4-0 to a team who have never made an international tournament before, and a team who have never even made a playoffs before is a big shock.  I accept Armenia are not complete minnows like San Marino, Lichtenstein or Malta but they are not a particularly good team either. Denmark should be winning games like that. But on the bright side Nicklas Bendtner won't be at the world cup. He is an odious prick.

Furthermore this Armenia team lost at home to Malta last week and Denmark performed admirably at the Euros beating the Netherlands. Definitely a big shock.

Edited by Voinjama

Armenia won 4-0 in Slovakia in 2011, this was a Slovakia team that beat Italy at 2010 World Cup and performed admirably there. Armenia have some really talented attacking players but struggle due to a small squad.

Â